How do I choose which file manager app to use on my LG Stylo 6?

DotLGphn

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
The File Manager App that I'm using now is by Google but I want to use a different File manager app, that only shows up in my app settings, but not in my app drawer as shown in the illustrations.

FILE MANAGER  APPS IN FILE DRWR (1).jpg FILE MANAGER  APPS IN FILE DRWR (2).jpg

In the settings below, the File manager app that I want to use was one I downloaded from Google Play.
FILES IN APPS-SETTINGS-1.jpg

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The smaller Files app is the system one that I think only shows up when needed, but you can't open it yourself.

Is there a reason why you'd rather not use Files by Google? I can recommend a couple of other good file manager apps if you need one.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The File Manager App that I'm using now is by Google but I want to use a different File manager app, that only shows up in my app settings, but not in my app drawer as shown in the illustrations.

View attachment 333748 View attachment 333749

In the settings below, the File manager app that I want to use was one I downloaded from Google Play.
View attachment 333747
Usually the stock File Manager can only be accessed from the general settings and not as a separated app from the drawer. I'm not sure about the right steps for your LG model but try something like Settings - Storage - Files.

DotLGphn

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
The smaller Files app is the system one that I think only shows up when needed, but you can't open it yourself.

Is there a reason why you'd rather not use Files by Google? I can recommend a couple of other good file manager apps if you need one.
Well, I don't necessarily dislike the Google File manager, just wondered about what the difference is with the smaller one. Maybe it's the layout. But guess I'll just have to get used to the Google one. I've tried some other file managers but the ones I've tried had other stuff with it that I didn't need (I don't remember what they were). But thank you.:cool:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
That would be nice... if I knew how. Do you know how? What do you mean by "launcher"?
Try this. Long press an empty spot on your homescreen, tap 'Widgets', scroll down the list until you find 'Settings', drag it to the screen and look for the 'Storage' option.

DotLGphn

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Try this. Long press an empty spot on your homescreen, tap 'Widgets', scroll down the list until you find 'Settings', drag it to the screen and look for the 'Storage' option.
Thank you, but there are no settings for Widgets on my phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, I don't necessarily dislike the Google File manager, just wondered about what the difference is with the smaller one. Maybe it's the layout. But guess I'll just have to get used to the Google one. I've tried some other file managers but the ones I've tried had other stuff with it that I didn't need (I don't remember what they were). But thank you.:cool:

Try Total Commander. Free and ad-free, and no extraneous stuff (although there are some plug-ins you can add on, also free.