contacts thing is driving me nuts

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm fairly certain this is an Android based issue I'm having -- that the GO Contacts app combined with it.

I don't have a clue how this keeps happening but I have managed to lose ALL my contacts several times (thank goodness I had some backups) but this is getting ridiculous. I spend to much time getting things back to where they are supposed to be. Other times I have two of everything and I can't seem to get it right and keep it right.

I'm on VZW and they have a BackUp Assistant which backs up/syncs my contacts. I really don't like the People thing that comes with Android so I use GO Contacts. Am I correct in assuming that the VZW BackUp Assistant syncs/backs up the default People contacts and that any contact apps people use, get their information from the default People?

If that's the case, how the heck do I get them all to play nice together and all have the same information in them? There has to be a simple way to do this and not mess it up. Currently, I have no street addresses showing up and I've input them a number of times.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Deb

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Not sure, but, you could try out a few other contact apps and see if they play nice. If they do, you can assume it's your current app that just has issues.

I backup to my Google account, but, don't use a third party contact app. I gave up on BackUp Assistant when I got my new phone and the only contact that was "backed up" was myself. The rep at the store was thoroughly confused. :confused: And, I definitely had it set to nightly backup. Just throwing that out there.

And if you think there is some sort of conflict, you can always turn off BackUp Assistant if you are backing up to Google.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I forgot to mention that Outlook is in this mix, too. Sheesh, what a time consuming, frustrating mess. I'll consider your suggestion, thank you.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I forgot to mention that Outlook is in this mix, too. Sheesh, what a time consuming, frustrating mess. I'll consider your suggestion, thank you.

That is a mess. Convert to Google products. :p But seriously, if that doesn't work, post back and I'll see what else I can think up.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
That is a mess. Convert to Google products. :p But seriously, if that doesn't work, post back and I'll see what else I can think up.

If I could find a Google calendar that works like and does what my Outlook/Deja Office that would be absolutely fine. But I've looked, downloaded, tested and deleted more than I care to remember. Guilty of being VERY PICKY but there are certain things I won't give up and that's a calendar that works and does what I need it to do. It would be a WHOLE lot easier if I could just use Google's calendar/contacts etc but they just don't do it for me.

doni49

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Devinator: you said that BA could be turned off. HOW? I use Google for my contacts. Backup Assistant tries every night to backup but fails.

I use WiFi at home and disable the Mobile Data network. It seems as though BA doesn't like WiFi.

TIA!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Devinator: you said that BA could be turned off. HOW? I use Google for my contacts. Backup Assistant tries every night to backup but fails.

I use WiFi at home and disable the Mobile Data network. It seems as though BA doesn't like WiFi.

TIA!

I wish I could give you specifics, but, my phone took a dive into the sink two days ago and now my menu button is stuck, so, my phone boots into safe mode and I can't even access Manage Apps. But, I would try going into Manage Apps, finding BA and clearing everything, data, cache, defaults, whatever buttons are available. Give that a shot, see if it works. If not, I just tried to open BA and there was an option to Forget Pin, you could always try that. If it doesn't have your pin remembered, it might not function correctly. I'd try that second if the first thing doesn't work. If neither works, hopefully I'll have my button fixed and I can provide you with some more assistance. I plan to try and fix it this weekend.

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Sounds to me like there's some settings not correct in your deja office sync set up. I use deja office and go contacts and haven't had any trouble with deleted or duplicate contacts. You might try reading the instructions from deja office again and then just deleting everything from your phone and syncing with outlook again. Seems like I had to do that when I first started using deja office.