iMessage issues after switching from iPhone to Android

bigrat

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Dont know if this helps. I read this method from some other sites and able to fix it after a few trials and errors. First back up and restore the iphone through itunes (please back up if you still want to keep the data & apps), then go to the apple website to unregister your apple id and uncheck your old iphone as registered product. Restart the phone. It may take about a day for the process before you can test if it works. Send a test imessage to your new android phone. The sender should soon receive an error message, then iphone should immediately re-try and send it through sms. Hope it helps. Note: my iphone was with AT&T.

K Mcshane

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
This worked for me (Above post about swapping SIM to Iphone and turning off Imessages). i had already got O2 to provide me with a new SIM but no matter what I did I couldn't receive messages from Iphone users and they just went to my old Iphone 4s. After this they started to come through on my Galaxy S3. Thanks, kev

maswebon

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
What do i do if i no longer have the iphone? I sold it to Best Buy. Please help.
Ps. I wiped the phone before i sold it to them.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Apple has never been in favor of the consumer. They've always been shady to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they did this to stop you guys from switching to Android. You see all their law suits about patents they claim to have thought of first and all other kinds of mess. They force you to buy other adapters so all your old iPhone accessories can work. They're a crooked company and I never understood why people seem to continue to buy their products. Apple are con artists and I hope this issue will open some people's eyes to their nonsense. They have more Cash on hand than the US Government (don't believe me.. Look it up) and it's all from being crooks! I hope you guys sort out your iMessage issue and run for the hills when you do. Good luck

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Apple has never been in favor of the consumer. They've always been shady to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they did this to stop you guys from switching to Android. You see all their law suits about patents they claim to have thought of first and all other kinds of mess. They force you to buy other adapters so all your old iPhone accessories can work. They're a crooked company and I never understood why people seem to continue to buy their products. Apple are con artists and I hope this issue will open some people's eyes to their nonsense. They have more Cash on hand than the US Government (don't believe me.. Look it up) and it's all from being crooks! I hope you guys sort out your iMessage issue and run for the hills when you do. Good luck

How does that make them shady? When you buy accessories it never says it will work for the next iPhone design. The same accessory works for the model it was designed for. Do you call Toyota shady when the after market headlights you bought for your 2006 Camry doesn't fit your 2007?

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
How does that make them shady? When you buy accessories it never says it will work for the next iPhone design. The same accessory works for the model it was designed for. Do you call Toyota shady when the after market headlights you bought for your 2006 Camry doesn't fit your 2007?

I said that if this glitch that these folks are facing is designed so people can't leave the iPhone, then that is shady. Everything apple is over priced, and they make their products in a Chinese factory for cheap labor equivalent to a sweat shop. They force you to use iTunes, one iPhone they made with a different size headphone jack that forced you to buy an adapter to use other headphones or you had to use their headphones. Then they charge 30+ bucks for those measly headphones. They've never catered to the customer, always greedy and that's how they managed to acquire more Cash than the US Government. Remember this is my opinion based on what I've seen and how I feel. If you don't agree then that's cool but to me, they're crooks.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I do know that iMessage is tied to the phones IMEI also. Once you restore it, you cannot insert your sim again or it will tie your sim and the IMEI again.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The problem I have is that sim card for my android phone is much larger then my sim card for my iphone4 Who can help me

first I'd say read up some more on this possible "fix" and if it seems legit then take your iPhone sim and put it on top of your android phone sim and see if it's possible to trim off some excess plastic from the android one to get them to the same size. If it is then take a razor or exacto knife and trim the edges of the android sim until its the same size or pretty darn close to fit in that lil tray that goes in the iPhone. just don't damage the copper/metal or whatever you call the part that holds your phone info. then you'll be able to get the sim inside the iPhone and work your magic. Ppl do it when they unlock iPhones to use with other carrier sims so i believe it's possible to do.

RazorToshiba

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The answer is so simple, after thinking about this for a few minutes it dawned on me. By default the iPhone will check to see if the phone number is tied to an apple account and is on an iPhone, once it does that it remembers that and saves it as an iPhone number rather than a regular mobile phone, all you have to do is tell all your friends with iPhones to change this in their own phone and that should solve the problem!

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The answer is so simple, after thinking about this for a few minutes it dawned on me. By default the iPhone will check to see if the phone number is tied to an apple account and is on an iPhone, once it does that it remembers that and saves it as an iPhone number rather than a regular mobile phone, all you have to do is tell all your friends with iPhones to change this in their own phone and that should solve the problem!

Sounds like a good idea. If it works y'all better thank this man

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Even my service provider tried to help me by contacting Apple and weren't able to get anywhere with them.

My service provider ended up getting so fed up with Apple that my service provider offered to give me a new iPhone for free to correct the problem because Apple refused to do anything.

Now I am literally being forced to be an Apple user when I want to be an Android user.

It's not fair to me as the customer, to the service provider who is losing money to deal with Apples mess, and it's really not fair to Android because they've now lost me as a customer.

Plus, Android loses all potential customers who are coming from iPhone because Apple won't fix their glitch thus forcing people to stay with them. Isn't that a Monopoly?

wow so you used a service, didn't turn it off and were surprised when it kept working? Someone call the waaaambulance.

i hate kids.

schnel

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Well, I had the same problem and, duh, I figured how to solve it, at least given my situation...I had to turn off iMessage on my iPad!! (I had previously wiped my iPhone clean.)

GeoGal

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I switched from and iphone to an android phone just over a week ago. I had the same issue with messages being blocked to my android phone because of imessage.
My carrier advised, in my iphone, to go to settings - phone and delete your mobile number in the "my number" area then type in a dummy mobile number (e.g. 0400 000 000) and save. This helps but did not fix the issue.
My dad and I worked through it last night as he has an iphone. You need to break the link between imessage (and possibly icloud) and your mobile number. I believe the solution is as follows:
1. Do as my carrier advised (above).
2. On iphone - go to settings - messages and turn off imessage, and in send & receive (below imessage option) untick your mobile number. In settings - face time, turn off face time. If you have an icloud account delete that as this may be retaining a link to your phone number as well.
3. In Messages on your iphone - clear any converations you have with anyone who has an iphone and delete the "folder" attached to the conversation.
4. Now, if you have any other Apples devices which have been linked/synced to your mobile number you will need to go into Messages and clear all conversations and delete the associated folders. In settings - messages - send & receive untick your mobile number, this will most likely just leave you with an email address.
5. The link may need to be broken similarly on friends who have iphones for your mobile number only - i.e.clear conversation history in messages.
6. Most importantly if this doesn't already change your contact from blue to black following a reboot of their iphone - i.e. change blue imessage capability to green text message cabability, you should request that they change the label of you phone number in their contacts from "iphone" to mobile. Alternatively if friends have an iphone 5 i believe they can change your number to a non - iphone contact.

Hope this helps :)
I don't know why Apple is allowed to get away with this message blocking through syncing/linking imessage!! ... perhaps a ploy for Apple domination... Another reason why I changed to Android!

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I switched from and iphone to an android phone just over a week ago. I had the same issue with messages being blocked to my android phone because of imessage.
My carrier advised, in my iphone, to go to settings - phone and delete your mobile number in the "my number" area then type in a dummy mobile number (e.g. 0400 000 000) and save. This helps but did not fix the issue.
My dad and I worked through it last night as he has an iphone. You need to break the link between imessage (and possibly icloud) and your mobile number. I believe the solution is as follows:
1. Do as my carrier advised (above).
2. On iphone - go to settings - messages and turn off imessage, and in send & receive (below imessage option) untick your mobile number. In settings - face time, turn off face time. If you have an icloud account delete that as this may be retaining a link to your phone number as well.
3. In Messages on your iphone - clear any converations you have with anyone who has an iphone and delete the "folder" attached to the conversation.
4. Now, if you have any other Apples devices which have been linked/synced to your mobile number you will need to go into Messages and clear all conversations and delete the associated folders. In settings - messages - send & receive untick your mobile number, this will most likely just leave you with an email address.
5. The link may need to be broken similarly on friends who have iphones for your mobile number only - i.e.clear conversation history in messages.
6. Most importantly if this doesn't already change your contact from blue to black following a reboot of their iphone - i.e. change blue imessage capability to green text message cabability, you should request that they change the label of you phone number in their contacts from "iphone" to mobile. Alternatively if friends have an iphone 5 i believe they can change your number to a non - iphone contact.

I don't know why Apple is allowed to get away with this message blocking through syncing/linking imessage!! ... perhaps a ploy for Apple domination... Another reason why I changed to Android!

Thats because you people use iMessage not GSM network, iMessage is really just IM network with phone numbers aggigned to accounts, if you have active account iMessage of other people things that it can still send messages to you via iMessage not SMS. It's hard to make it switch off other way then manually, since iMessage servers are not aware of fact that you stop using it. Thru Apple could solve it by sending SMS when you offline.

It would be cool if carriers intgrated XMPP (open protocol that iMessage or Google Talk using) like that, potentially carriers having there own XMPP servers for proper addressing (phone_number@orange.pl for example)

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I'm going to try this later today. Curse Apple!

Louis Jacques Smith

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I JUST DID IT!!!!!! HOLY (@#*()EUR)(U$!!!!! YES!!!!

I read this solution and it works as bizarrrrr as it sounds. (I did it using the iPhone of my girlfriend):

"Alright...found two ways...you can go to your apple account and unregister the iphone you switched and sometimes this works...if it doesn't here is step number 2. Take Sim card out of your new android phone and put it in your old iphone...now go into settings/messaging...turn off imessage...turn on SMS messaging. now take sim card out and put it back into android phone...wahla!!!!
It works...for those of you who do not know how to open sim card slot in iPhone....simple...take a paper clip and push it in the little hole.... for those of you who gave away your iphone....borrow one...you need at least an iphone 4 to do this.

Hope this help...appreciate any feedback to make sure fix is working."

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This is most commonly a problem (from what I've run into, probably not statistically) associated with having a secondary device on the Apple ecosystem, such as an iMac, iPad, iPod, etc that's synced to the same account. Was that one iPhone the only Apple device you had that could receive messages?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch