Not enough phone memory - What can I do?

ShadowNexus

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

This is my first ever smart phone and already I'm stuck! I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace which I haven't had for very long, and I've only added on a few apps that I thought would be useful. The problem I'm having is that I keep getting a message coming up saying I don't have enough phone storage memory, and then I can't even receive texts coz there's not enough space. There is loads of space on the SD card (1.85GB to be exact), but only 17MB left on the phone's storage. I was told to use the Apps2SD app, but it can't move over loads of my apps, so I still have no room.

Do I just have to delete a few apps? Are there any settings I could change that would help, e.g. moving contacts/photos/texts so that they save on the SD card somehow? Should I take out the SD card and format it somehow or something?

I really have no idea what to do. Please help me

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
You can try clearing the cache on your apps. Uninstalling apps you don't need. If you have any media on your internal, move it to SD. If you store texts/emails locally, clean that up.

ShadowNexus

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi Devinator, Can you explain HOW to do these things?? I know how to clear the caches and uninstall apps, but how do I move media/texts/emails to SD? And how do I even know if they're on phone or SD in the first place?

ShadowNexus

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Also, are there any apps that come with the phone that aren't necessary, and that I could delete? People have suggested removing the SD card and reformatting it (no idea how), would that help at all?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Devinator, Can you explain HOW to do these things?? I know how to clear the caches and uninstall apps, but how do I move media/texts/emails to SD? And how do I even know if they're on phone or SD in the first place?

You can use a File Manager like Astro do do this. Or you can plug your phone in VIA USB. I usually do the latter. Plug your phone in to your PC and both internal and SD should mount. You can then figure out easily which one is the one that is full, that's your internal. Move some media to your SD, make sure to delete it from internal afterwards, and, you should be good.

Also, are there any apps that come with the phone that aren't necessary, and that I could delete? People have suggested removing the SD card and reformatting it (no idea how), would that help at all?

You can remove bloatware that comes with your phone, but, you will need to root it.

Not if your internal storage is the problem. This has nothing to do with the SD card.

ShadowNexus

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm ok I will try it. Is there any way to move apps like Facebook (which takes up a massive amount of storage on the phone memory) to the SD card? And is there any way to ensure that all new photos I take and new texts and emails save straight to the SD card and not the phone?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I really have no idea.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm ok I will try it. Is there any way to move apps like Facebook (which takes up a massive amount of storage on the phone memory) to the SD card? And is there any way to ensure that all new photos I take and new texts and emails save straight to the SD card and not the phone?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I really have no idea.

If it couldn't be moved with Apps2SD, I don't think so.

Within your camera there should be something in settings to store them on SD.

Do you use Gmail, if so, shouldn't be an issue, your email isn't downloaded. I use Google Voice for text messages and it's the same thing, texts are stored server side. If your texts are being downloaded to your phone, I'm not sure what app you are using, or, how/if that can be stopped. You can try keeping a tidy inbox for starters, lol. :p

ShadowNexus

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm just using the texting app that came with the phone... Can't figure out how to see if photos are stored on SD or how to change it within camera settings so I guess I'll just have to give up, there's nothing more that I can move around. Thanks anyway.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Strange. On my X2, when I go to settings there is an option for Storage Location. From there I can choose SD card. But, if you can't find that, you can always move the photos to SD by yourself periodically. Or take them off your phone altogether and back them up somewhere. That's what I do.

Jarnld

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm just using the texting app that came with the phone... Can't figure out how to see if photos are stored on SD or how to change it within camera settings so I guess I'll just have to give up, there's nothing more that I can move around. Thanks anyway.

Sure you can. Hang in there.

Go to settings. Manage applications. CLick on each app one at a time and select clear cache. Or, just download any cache cleaner from the app store. I use History Eraser. Great stuff.

Factory camera, go to settings, Storage, then select SD Card, or Storage Card(something to that effect)

Download ES File Explorer and open it. When you open it you are looking at all the files on your SD card. Go to DCIM. There should be a folder that says 100Media and Camera. Open them. If there's no pictures in there, then you're not saving to the SD Card.

As far as moving apps to the SD card, some can and some cant be moved depending on certain things. Factory Installed apps can't be moved unless you're rooted, and I'm pretty sure you're not ;)

Clean out your old text messages and internet browser cache too.

Hope that helps

ShadowNexus

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi Jarnld,

Thanks for your help! The photos are in the DCIM folder, so I guess they do save to SD instead of phone, which is helpful. As for everything else, I'm cleaning caches etc regularly so if I keep on top of it all, hopefully I won't run into any more problems!

Thanks!

Monsieurjean

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I am having the exact same problem, with the exact same model of mobilephone

i deleted many many apps. and the internal memory of the phone has still lots of space

besides i have a 8 GB SD card,

i cant understand why i get notifications of not having enough space

besides i am also not getting my SMSs,

i don't know what to do , really

one day, after deleting an app (which now i dont remember which) i didnt have this problem of not having enough space anymore

even though i had enough space in internal memory

but after while, i am had he same problems again.
then i deleted more apps and this time it was useless

please i need help

- - - Updated - - -

I am having the exact same problem, with the exact same model of mobilephone

i deleted many many apps. and the internal memory of the phone has still lots of space

besides i have a 8 GB SD card,

i cant understand why i get notifications of not having enough space

besides i am also not getting my SMSs,

i don't know what to do , really

one day, after deleting an app (which now i dont remember which) i didnt have this problem of not having enough space anymore

even though i had enough space in internal memory

but after while, i am had he same problems again.
then i deleted more apps and this time it was useless

please i need help

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi Jarnld,

Thanks for your help! The photos are in the DCIM folder, so I guess they do save to SD instead of phone, which is helpful. As for everything else, I'm cleaning caches etc regularly so if I keep on top of it all, hopefully I won't run into any more problems!

Thanks!
DCIM could still be on your phone. Take the card out and look on the PC. If they are still there, they are on your phone. Then just move them to your computer using cut/paste. Do them in batches of you have a lot.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Creshosk