iPhone to Nexus 4 help!

legec117

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I received my Nexus 4 today. It is my first android device, and to be quite honest, this phone is sweet. Quick and smooth is an understatement. I know everything in iOS 6 may not have an android equivalent, but I figured it was worth a shot to ask.

First, is there any place in the setting where I can go to shut down apps I am no longer using? In iOS, it was a double click of home button and you could kill apps running in the background.

Also, I shut down iMessage to my old phone as well as my iPad, because they were intercepting text messages. However, a friend sent me a picture in a group message in which I did not receive, yet my wife received in, and I received her response.

Any help would be appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the Android world! You really don't have to kill apps, because the OS is supposed to know when to close any apps that aren't being used or haven't been used recently.

Every now and then, however, some apps can misbehave and start hogging resources. You can go to System Settings/Manage Apps/Running, and select apps there to close. Just tap the app, and then tap Stop.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

legec117

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the Android world! You really don't have to kill apps, because the OS is supposed to know when to close any apps that aren't being used or haven't been used recently.

Every now and then, however, some apps can misbehave and start hogging resources. You can go to System Settings/Manage Apps/Running, and select apps there to close. Just tap the app, and then tap Stop.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Thanks, the main app that I was worried about iwaze social GPS. I did not want my GPS and tracking to remain on. Thanks for the tip, Android is pretty sweet!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, the main app that I was worried about iwaze social GPS. I did not want my GPS and tracking to remain on. Thanks for the tip, Android is pretty sweet!

just an another tip. like said above you dont need to manage any app. Android will take care of it.
if you still need to have a easy solution then you can use an app called Advanced Task killer. it let you manage and kill app instantly. easier than going to settings.

falcor87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just want to jump on this thread, I just moved from the iPhone to the Nexus 4 as well (albeit a 3G on iOS 3). I've been doing some tinkering.

One thing I would like to know is if the Nexus 4 has visual voicemail, or if that is dependent on the carrier?

iam_robj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
If you press the running apps button (the middle button) you can then swipe the apps to close them.. not sure about voicemail I have mine turned off :D