What phone would be best for me?

Tachyflax

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm a medical student and my hospital has started using a pager service that runs through smartphones. This is great, except they require wifi to be on at all times! There is no way my current phone (Sprint EVO 4G) will be able to last even a few hours with wifi running. I've been looking to upgrade my phone anyways, but I need one that has good battery life. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful! I'm on Sprint by the way.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Any chance of changing to Verizon? The RAZR Maxx and Maxx HD are the kings of battery life.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Tachyflax

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty much stuck on sprint, but I'm not opposed to paying for an unlocked phone. I was also thinking, what if I got a samsung galaxy s3 (I've heard good things about this phone) and then got a few extra batteries that I keep charged on me. I mean is there even a decent phone in existence that will last a whole day with wifi on?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
RAZR Maxxs will definitely last a day on wifi.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The SGS 3 certainly lasts all day and then some. I carry a spare but rarely go to it

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How is Sprint reception in your hospital? Remember that poor signal contributes to battery drain, so if you have lousy reception, any phone will drain battery faster. I have this problem with Verizon in the hospital where I work.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Turn off mobile data, turn on Wi-Fi and your battery will last much longer than the other way around.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I'll even put my phone on Airplane Mode if I know I'll be in an area with poor reception for a while. You can still turn on wifi after setting Airplane Mode.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also consider how often you may need to receive calls while working, because Airplane Mode means no phone signal. More and more MDs where I work are ditching the pager and just asking people to call them on their cell. That doesn't work for me due to the poor Verizon reception, because people will call and leave a message, assuming that I'll get it promptly, but in fact I don't realize someone has left a message until sometimes hours later when I finally get good reception.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Ya my brother is a nurse and uses his EVO og with wifi on at work for 12 hours. The wifi uses less battery than when he's on network. He makes it his whole shift but he has the extended battery also

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

ssloko

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm a medical student and my hospital has started using a pager service that runs through smartphones. This is great, except they require wifi to be on at all times! There is no way my current phone (Sprint EVO 4G) will be able to last even a few hours with wifi running. I've been looking to upgrade my phone anyways, but I need one that has good battery life. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful! I'm on Sprint by the way.

I would definitely go with the S3. Its a way better phone and being on sprint, it's probably the best phone currently available. It has decent battery life, great looking screen, and its compatible with the sprint network.. To extend your battery life just lower your screen brightness, and be sure to turn off both the GPS, and the auto sync features when ur not using them. If this still isn't enough to get you thru the day without a recharge, then one extra battery won't hurt.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have an S3 and use wifi all day at my office with no problem. I wouldn't hesitate one bit to get one for your needs.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy Note 2 has 3100mah battery and amazing battery life. Not to mention it kicks the GS3's butt in every way imaginable.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2