How do I move pictures from gallery to SD card on my Samsung Galaxy S3?

vzdub_salesteam

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
You should try Dropbox or Google+photos. They are great secondary cloud based back up programs. Sd cards can be corrupted very easily. Plus with cloud based photo storage if you loose your phone you don't loose your pictures!

Posted via Android Central App

hawkmom77

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I was about to throw my phone and computer through the window til I found your answer. Thank you so much for the step by step. I would have paid attention I would have noticed that all the pictures I had taken I could store on sd from get go by picking the option!!! thanks again!!

Paula Scott

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Thank you-that was absolutely brilliant! I didn't think of going into that folder to look for where the memory portion of the sd card and my phone were.

Earl Lee

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy S3: Move pictures to SD card.
Options
‎03-03-2013 10:01 AM

Transfer pictures to SD card on Galaxy S3:

1. From the home screen, tap on the Apps icon.
2. Open the My Files app.
3. You will see two folders in here if you have an SD card in device. SDCard0 is the internal memory of the device. ExtSDCard is the Micro SD card that was placed in the back of the phone.
4. Tap on SDCard0.
5. Tap on the DCIM folder.
6. Tap on the Camera folder. (This is where the phone first saved pictures taken by the camera by default)
7. Press the Menu button and then select Move.
8. The pictures will now have check boxes next to them. Tap on each picture you want to move to select them or tap on Select All at the top if you want to move all the pictures.
9. After you have the pictures selected, tap on Move at the top corner of the screen.
10. This will bring you back to the two main folders. Tap on ExtSDCard.
11. You can now look for a folder to place pictures in. (You can create a new folder by tapping on Create Folder up at the top and entering a folder name.)
12. Once you have the folder you want the pictures saved to selected, tap on Move Here at the top right corner. The pictures will now be moved

Damn...you really went all out in explaining such a simple thing to an ***** who doesn't know how to learn..

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Some people need just a little hint, others need to be given step by step instructions. We all think differently. (An engineer would need less help with a phone than an artist would, but most engineers have no idea what the rule of thirds is.) We have no idea who's going to find this thread on Google 2 years from now, and come here to find out how to do exactly what the thread explains.

Or, looking at it another way, you can skip any information you already know, but you can't make up information the person explaining it left out. Microsoft's manuals used to be the perfect example of a user manual - they explained everything - even things you would expect anyone using a computer (this was in the 80s and early 90s) would already know. If you just forgot the exact syntax of a command you could ignore the 5 other pages of explanation of how that command worked (the COM command was enough to make a whole book by itself), but if you needed all that information it was there. Compare that to the manual supplied with current cellphones. Warranty, accessories, all sorts of things to waste paper and ink, but almost nothing about how to use the phone that you wouldn't find in a manual for a phone sold in 2001.

How to transfer pictures from internal to external storage should be in the manual. (Maybe not an explanation of the fact that "Gallery" is an app, not a place where pictures are stored, but at least where you're most likely to find pictures, what app to use to find them and how to move or copy them.) If you want to save resources, there could be a file on the phone, with a link on the homescreen, with a huge manual - that explains how to copy the manual to your computer and delete it from the phone to regain the storage space, along witgh all the other things people ask about, including how to find and copy pictures. (Once it's in the ROM, it's free to the manufacturer - they have to flash the ROM into each new phone anyway. The amortized cost of writing the manual would be less than a penny a phone.)

Earl Lee

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
That was very factual and I agree with it 100%, but let me clear up what I meant by OP not knowing how to learn...

All Android OS-based device users do one basic action when they don't know how to do something on that device : they tap the subject in question, then tap the menu button. <- that solves 99% of all user-knowledge-of-device problems (assuming the user isn't legally retarded). But instead of doing that, OP did what he's most likely done his entire life when he didn't know something and that was to ask basically anyone whom would listen....in our case any random AC forum user in a very unpredictable time range for replies. I repeat, for a problem that he could have figured out if he put in mere seconds of thought and seconds more of effort.

DickRilloa

Banned
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: how do I move my pictures from my gallery to my desktop?

I need to move pictures from the gallery on my samsung SIII to my desktop. Please help.

Install the free app Dropbox on both your S3 and your PC. Configure the preferences on your S3 to upload any new pics and videos in the DCIM folder to your Dropbox when you are on WiFi. When they have been uploaded/backed up you can erase all those pics from your S3 and use that storage space for new pics and videos.

Also, I would like to move pictures from my Samsung digital camera to ny desktop

If it's an Android camera maybe you can install your Dropbox on that too. Same procedure, I guess.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
instead of doing that, OP did what he's most likely done his entire life when he didn't know something and that was to ask basically anyone whom would listen
If everyone who had a problem looked for the answer before posting to a help forum, there would be very few help requests posted. Most problems have already been addressed.

When a new version of Android comes out there will be a few questions (of the "why can't my xxx app copy files to my SD card in Kit Kat" sort), but once that's been answered, Google will pick it up. Granted, it's easier and faster to type your question into Google and read the answer from one of the links, but a) a lot of people still don't know how to use a search engine (please don't say something about old people here - I'm 72, and I was on ARPANET before there was an internet - in fact, most of the people on ARPANET are my age or older - and we learned to use search engines when the industry was learning to develop them) and b) a lot of people want a personal answer.

If you're looking for a forum on which people only post questions they can't find answers to, I'm afraid you'll have to start one yourself. I've never been on any forum - cellphones, philosophy, physics, religion, you name it - on which people didn't ask questions to which the answers were painfully obvious to almost everyone on the forum. It's that one word, "almost", that makes the difference between what you consider "being able to lean" and not. To some people, the "obvious" way of finding out how to do something is to ask someone who knows. That's what the OP did. It's not what I'd do, but that's what makes horse races. If we all did something the same way, the world would be a much more boring place.

AshleyAngel777

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Thank you sooooooooooo much, hecticmomof6! That helped me a looooot!!!! Yes! I am so thankful and happy that I was able to take care of that! My phone was running out of space! And I have quite a bit of space of my sd card, so I would prefer for it to be on there, that is why I got it of course, so I would have more space to save to, and also, if anything happens to my phone, hopefully I can at least save my pix, and videos, cuz they'll be on my sd card. :) Anyways, I'm sure that is why most people get sd cards, and also, they are good to take to a picture store, and get them printed out, from a machine, or possibly even give it to an employee, and they might be able to do it for you, if there is no machine, or if it's out of order. Anyhoo. Thanks again! God bless! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez