Froyo Desire Question

dubmess

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
So I posted this on the Desire sub-forum but didn't really get an answer.

I'm an android noob, and I have searched but haven't really found an answer, so forgive me if this sounds dumb...

Do all handsets getting Froyo get the same updates?

I looked eagerly through all Android Central's Froyo update reviews, and got quite excited, but then when I downloaded it I noticed I hadn't got a lot of them.

Enhanced keyboard functionality is not there (swiping up to get numerics)
Enhanced camera functionality not there (still the same drag out menu system)
3D photo gallery had to be downloaded manually

Did I also see that the app menu now had 3D scrolling? Don't have that either if so.

I'm not *****ing... this is by far and away the best phone I've ever had (came from a Pre), just trying to work my way around Android...

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Enhanced keyboard functionality - Never even heard of this. Perhaps it's a Nexus One-only feature?

Enhanced camera functionality - 720p recording, period. Only works with MPEG4-encoding, if h.264 or h.263 is selected you won't see the 720p resolution in the menu.

3D photo gallery - Again, this is something I've only ever seen on the Nexus One. I could be mistaken , but I've not read anywhere that this was a feature planned for the Desire.

So, to sum things up... no, all Android handsets do not get the same updates, mainly because of different user interfaces and features that some manufacturers may not want or spend money on testing for each device. What I can say for the Desire's 2.2 update is that the processing efficiency has been quadrupled in certain instances due to the new JIT compiler. Speaking of the camera menu system, surely you've noticed how much smoother it has become with 2.2?

So, yes. We don't all get the same updates, but as you've noticed much of this functionality can be obtained elsewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38