What are the advantages to having a closer to stock android handset?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
i'm new to android, don't even have it yet, but the moto x supposed to be 90% pure android, or whatever things people say about it being "close to vanilla". Are there any advantages to that for a person who is not a tinkerer? I will use launcher type things but generally won't be doing developer stuff. What might be some advantages to having a closer to stock android?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
i'm new to android, don't even have it yet, but the moto x supposed to be 90% pure android, or whatever things people say about it being "close to vanilla". Are there any advantages to that for a person who is not a tinkerer? I will use launcher type things but generally won't be doing developer stuff. What might be some advantages to having a closer to stock android?

Launchers like Sense (HTC) or TouchWiz (Samsung) have a tendency to slow down the whole OS. Especially with Samsung's and the extra features. With Android as plain as it can get, that is typically more room on storage and a faster, smoother UI.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Manufacturer's overlays like Sense and Touchwiz add all sorts of functionality that some people love and some hate. Definitely slows things down a bit, but there are many cool features added.

Tinkerers love pure Android because nothing is locked down and there's no bloatware.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Manufacturer's overlays like Sense and Touchwiz add all sorts of functionality that some people love and some hate. Definitely slows things down a bit, but there are many cool features added.

Tinkerers love pure Android because nothing is locked down and there's no bloatware.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Will i be able to add pieces of functionality to things? if so, like what, and how?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What's great about stock Android is that you can customize the interface 3 zillion different ways by installing 3rd party launchers like Nova, Apex, etc. So if you have stock Android and you don't like it, you have lots of options. The problem with proprietary skins like HTC Sense and Samsung Touchwiz is that you're stuck with them. You can still install 3rd party launchers, but the skins remain in the system, taking up space.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Name it, and there's probably an app that will do it.

so for example, the photo stuff, i understand the moto x has very limited camera setting options from stock, when i do the little twisty shaky open thing can i get it to launch an different type of camera app instead? or would i have to go in and choose the app to run that camera program.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can't answer that yet, since people haven't had the chance to start rooting and playing around with the X yet. My guess is that you'll be able to, but the phone would have to be rooted.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
No bloatware (manufacturer and carrier installed apps/widgets) is a big plus for me aside from not having to use a carrier specific overlay. Yes, all this can be replaced; the overlay can be replaced with a third-party launcher and the bloatware can be removed by rooting the device. But what if I don't want to be required to do any of this?

At the end of the day everyone has a preference. Those of us who want a pure Google experience are the minority when it comes to Android's market share. I just want options and don't want to pay a premium to get it as the GE S4/HTC One.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Can't answer that yet, since people haven't had the chance to start rooting and playing around with the X yet. My guess is that you'll be able to, but the phone would have to be rooted.

oh, i can't be rooting. oh well.

man, you can't just attach a different thing to an action? *^#$%@#.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
That type of edit likely requires a system level change, which requires root access.

thanks.

and there's no way to add any function to their picture options, right? do sometimes the maker of that function offer additional functions and you just have to download them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa