Phone Won't Turn On and Reverts to Previous State

Kazuto Kirigaya

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a Droid RAZR MAXX running Android 4.1.2 and for some reason my phone just freezes overnight. When I wake up the notification light may or may not be blinking and when I try to press the power button to wake it from sleep the screen will stay off. I usually need to perform a hard reboot by pressing the power and volume down button. After that I turn it back on by holding the power button as usual and I will be greeted with most of my settings reset and all apps reverted to their previous state. For example: If I update the Play Store app the day before it will be reverted back as if it was never updated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a Droid RAZR MAXX running Android 4.1.2 and for some reason my phone just freezes overnight. When I wake up the notification light may or may not be blinking and when I try to press the power button to wake it from sleep the screen will stay off. I usually need to perform a hard reboot by pressing the power and volume down button. After that I turn it back on by holding the power button as usual and I will be greeted with most of my settings reset and all apps reverted to their previous state. For example: If I update the Play Store app the day before it will be reverted back as if it was never updated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Did you install anything recently prior to the freezing happening? App updates shouldn't be reverting on their own and I can't think of any reason why the device is freezing overnight without a scheduled task. Consider a factory reset to clear out anything that is causing problems and see how the device functions afterwords.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you rooted and have you flashed a ROM, or is it stock Android 4.1.2? If it's a custom ROM, I'd be concerned about that causing the problem. If it's stock, try wiping the cache partition. I agree that a factory reset may end up being necessary, but before you do that, wiping the cache partition is worth a try, because you won't lose any important information. Here's the procedure:

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/93162/p/30,6720,8417

Kazuto Kirigaya

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I am rooted and on the stock ROM. I also tried a factory reset to no avail. Also, I forgot to mention that my phone will also randomly reboot itself several times and sometimes when my phone won't wake from sleep and I hart reboot it sometimes Google Play and GMail will stop working, constantly giving me process stopped messages.