icon overlay on YouTube videos

DaveNH

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Did some Googling on this with no results. I have an N4 and have noticed (maybe since the last update to the YT app?) that there is an icon overlaying any video I watch, it's a rectangle with what looks like a wireless signal in the lower left that is there through the entire video. Accessing YT via Chrome it's not there. I'm almost always on wi-fi when watching videos.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Did some Googling on this with no results. I have an N4 and have noticed (maybe since the last update to the YT app?) that there is an icon overlaying any video I watch, it's a rectangle with what looks like a wireless signal in the lower left that is there through the entire video. Accessing YT via Chrome it's not there. I'm almost always on wi-fi when watching videos.
That's probably the Chromecast icon being displayed on the video. There was another user experiencing a similar issue and posted a picture here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...s-5-having-issues-playing-youtube-videos.html

If that's what you have then it's probably an issue with the Youtube app and latest update. I'd expect an update pretty quick from Google once it's addressed. Another user just posted saying to check if Bluetooth is enabled...so check that setting and see if disabling helps.

DaveNH

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, that is the same icon, and BT is off.
Just rebooted the phone and it's gone, for now.

[Edit] That didn't last long, it's back :(

Last edited:

FunkyELF

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue whenever I try to play videos over bluetooth.
See picture below.

Android: How do you remove this overlay? - Imgur

This is annoying because I like to do that while I'm riding passenger in our car, or with my bluetooth headset.
Hopefully this will go away soon. We can't be the only ones getting pissed off about this.
Probably an oversight on Google's part.
Certainly using a BT headset to watch Youtube videos is a valid use case.

MomaDave

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Is it happening when you are streaming your audio to a Bluetooth device? It happened to me and I found a forum where somebody got a google tech response. It's a bug in one of the latest youtube app updates. They are currently working on a fix. I just uninstalled my youtube updates and it's gone. I'll update again in a week or two and see if it's fixed.