Usb cord broken when cutting and pasting photos to computer..files lost. galaxy s4

sadfacemcgrumpies

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
To head this off I'm terrible with computers and I'm desperate and I'm a freaking *****.

Something is wrong with the usb cable. I know this now... But earlier I was trying to import my photos using the interface that pops up when I connect my phone and it wouldn't work. So I tried to cut and paste the folder from my galaxy s4 to my windows 7 pc and it copied about a hundred over before the cord disconnected again and now the folder is missing from my phone and only the 100 pictures are on my computer.

If there is ANYTHING I can do please tell me. They were all pictures of my son. :(

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
To head this off I'm terrible with computers and I'm desperate and I'm a freaking *****.

Something is wrong with the usb cable. I know this now... But earlier I was trying to import my photos using the interface that pops up when I connect my phone and it wouldn't work. So I tried to cut and paste the folder from my galaxy s4 to my windows 7 pc and it copied about a hundred over before the cord disconnected again and now the folder is missing from my phone and only the 100 pictures are on my computer.

If there is ANYTHING I can do please tell me. They were all pictures of my son. :(

Welcome to the forums.
A copy/paste is usually a better option. Cut deletes right as it making the copy of the file.
Did you do the cut/paste from your PC while it was plugged in?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
it copied about a hundred over before the cord disconnected again
How do you know that the cord disconnected? Did it pop out of the USB port? The connection disconnected - there's nothing wrong with the cord.

There's a common problem in Windows when doing huge data copies over USB - the connection drops in the middle of the transfer. I haven't disassembled Microsoft's USB drivers (it would be illegal, and a huge waste of time) but I suspect a bug in the driver. I never copy folders - 5 or 10 files at a time at the most. (Or I connect a drive directly to the source of the files and copy them to that drive.)

As Golfdriver said, copy/paste. When the connection drops, create a new folder under that one, move all the files that have been copied and copy the rest. It'll break again, so move those files, etc., etc.

Hey, don't blame me - using a Windows computer was YOUR choice. Linux doesn't do this nonsense.

and now the folder is missing from my phone and only the 100 pictures are on my computer.
IF - you're wiling to risk rooting your phone (you could turn it into a miniature planter) you can run a program that will find deleted files and restore them - there are a few. Or, if they were all on your external SD card, use PhotoRec - Digital Picture and File Recovery (with the SD card mounted to the computer, not in the phone) to recover them. (The program is worth more than your phone, but it happens to be free.)

Next time, make sure that you have copies of all important files in at least 2 places (your laptop at home and a CD at the office - or at least a copy in the cloud.) Any file not backed up is a file that's not important.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana