Best Free Podcast App?

Hayden680

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Just switched from using an Ipod Touch to a Samsung Galaxy S4 to listen to podcasts, but I haven't found a good app yet.

I tried Stitcher first, but got rid of it when I found it that it doesn't download and keep your podcasts and is used more for streaming. I want to download using my home WiFi and then always have it saved for later use. I think Stitcher went about erasing some episodes if they were too old.

Currently I'm using BeyondPod, but the trial period is over and it seems like (I could be wrong) it forces you to download each podcast one at a time manually. (1st world problems) It's kind of a pain to do and at $6.99, it's not what I consider to be a cheap app.

Additionally, I found these two apps to be overly complicated with so many button presses to download, display, and listen to your favorite podcasts. I don't need to create complicated playlists nor do I want 3-4 different ways to list the podcasts that are new, have been downloaded, or are older podcasts available to be downloaded. I'm constantly fidgeting with how to display what podcasts I have and what I need to download.

Any other recommendations for a good, simple, and free podcast app?

RobAl33

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I used to use google listen before is was terminated, I now use stitcher. I download them so I can listen when in offline mode so I can listen in my car on the way home. I Download them only on wifi then there stored for offline.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I use Podkicker. The search function is pretty good, can download at will (including the ability to pause a download), and space only limited by the phone.

The only downsides I've seen are the text is on the small side for my tastes and it changes the file type to something proprietary. To that latter issue, you can find the file, change the extension to mp3 or whatever the original was and then it can be picked up and listened to in other players. I leave mine as is because listening in Podkicker allows for remembering listening point if you pause and leave the app.

Hayden680

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation. Just downloaded Podkicker and will give it a go. Like how it's simplified and not filled with all these unnecessary features that most people won't use just to listen to a bunch of podcasts (i.e. radio programs).

Also, I could've sworn that Stitcher erased your downloads over time. Probably wrong though, but maybe kind of evidence of how it's more complicated than it needs to be.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation. Just downloaded Podkicker and will give it a go. Like how it's simplified and not filled with all these unnecessary features that most people won't use just to listen to a bunch of podcasts (i.e. radio programs).

Also, I could've sworn that Stitcher erased your downloads over time. Probably wrong though, but maybe kind of evidence of how it's more complicated than it needs to be.

It probably does. PlayerFM does, to reduce the cache load, which can be confusing. I like BeyondPod and also PocketCasts. I haven't tried Podkicker. Already paid for one of the others so I stopped looking. I really only listen occasionally so I like being able to do a quick search & stream or download. BeyondPod and PocketCasts are both good for that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

I use Beyond Pod and find it a good Podcast App. A lot of the issues you seem to be having with the App would be solved with the Paid, such as automatic downloads. It is a bit pricey, but definitely worth the money if you listen to Podcasts often.

toirama

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Greader is OK for streaming most podcasts if u sub them thru RSS. In other words use an RSS reader rather than dedicated podcast app

Posted via Android Central App