Newbie: How to do custom notifications for individual email contacts

thilbig

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I am very new to Android (using non-rooted LG Nexus 5) and am having a great problem finding a feature that I depended on regularly with my Blackberry. Forgive me if I am not using the best forum, but I have searched everywhere but I suspect I am not looking for the right thing.

I occasionally receive an email from an automated server that indicates an emergency with one of the systems I manage. In Blackberry, I had setup a custom notification based on the email source address, and it would play a custom ringtone (Star Trek Red Alert) at top volume whenever a email from that contact was received. Android only allows custom "ringtones" on a per-contact basis, but these ringtones are only used for phone calls. There is no similar setting for SMS/MMS or Email messages that I can find on Android. I think it is strange that it is not part of the base functionality -- I am beginning to suspect it is a patent issue and it never will be added.

I can't find a good third-party application to provide this additional feature for email. Can someone recommend one? I have tried several and found none adequate (for example, they fail with "Unfortunately ... has stopped.", they create separate connections to email servers and suck the battery dry, or they are built for SMS/MMS only).

Any insight is welcome.
Thanks, Tom

eekfu

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

If I get it right, you want your phone to play a specific ringtone when you get a mail from a specific person.

You can easily do that in the email app which should already be installed.
I got a Samsung device, but it should be the same settings on your phone.

First you go into the email app and go to settings (hit the menu-button).

Somewhere in the settings, you shold see "priority contacts" or something like that.

When you press that, you should be able to add email-adresses, and afterwards set a specific ringtone.

Now you should hear the ringtone you set every time you get a mail from that adress.

I hope that helps!

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non