App conflicts or what?

Traijan

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I know I'm late to the party getting my first smartphone (just a cheapy Kyocera Rise phone so that one of the owners of the auto dealer that I contract with can text me as that's his preferred method even though it's not mine) and so I just picked it up about 3 days ago.

All was going fine for the first couple days but then I discovered the Google Play store LOL.

So, yesterday I installed a LOT of apps, and mostly ended up uninstalling them within an hour of installing them as I didn't find them to my liking. Well then the phone just sort of started to act screwy after a while even though I only had left on maybe 3 or 6 apps, it would start to pop messages telling me apps like the Google Map is not responding, and it wasn't just google maps, there were maybe 3 or 4 other apps that started to do the same thing.

So, I did a reset and from within the phones settings area and wiped my SD card and brought it back to factory settings and all was good.

Then today I started to download apps again from the google play store, not nearly as many this time, maybe 10 or so, and out of that I've kept again about maybe 5 to 7 or so.

Now all of a sudden things are starting to go screwy again. I try to open the battery monitor and I get a message telling me they're sorry but the settings has stopped working. Tried it multiple times now and getting the same result every time that I now open the battery monitor, telling me it's stopped running. It seems to me that I'm heading down the same road as yesterday so...

Is it app conflicts that could be causing this kind of behavior? Do I need to be concerned about which apps I put on my phone at the same time as other apps that I put on it?

Is there any way to just fix this issue that I'm currently at with the battery monitor stopping to respond? Can I somehow restore just the battery monitor in case it's somehow become corrupt?

And finally if I have to do another reset of my phone, do I need to wipe clean the SD card? It has a lot of my music and I've finally gotten it to where all the albums have cover art etc and I'd like to avoid having to move it to my PC again to back it up and then have to move it again as it takes an extremely long time to move that many GB.

Thanks, really appreciate any insight/information you can give me on this.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I know I'm late to the party getting my first smartphone (just a cheapy Kyocera Rise phone so that one of the owners of the auto dealer that I contract with can text me as that's his preferred method even though it's not mine) and so I just picked it up about 3 days ago.

All was going fine for the first couple days but then I discovered the Google Play store LOL.

So, yesterday I installed a LOT of apps, and mostly ended up uninstalling them within an hour of installing them as I didn't find them to my liking. Well then the phone just sort of started to act screwy after a while even though I only had left on maybe 3 or 6 apps, it would start to pop messages telling me apps like the Google Map is not responding, and it wasn't just google maps, there were maybe 3 or 4 other apps that started to do the same thing.

So, I did a reset and from within the phones settings area and wiped my SD card and brought it back to factory settings and all was good.

Then today I started to download apps again from the google play store, not nearly as many this time, maybe 10 or so, and out of that I've kept again about maybe 5 to 7 or so.

Now all of a sudden things are starting to go screwy again. I try to open the battery monitor and I get a message telling me they're sorry but the settings has stopped working. Tried it multiple times now and getting the same result every time that I now open the battery monitor, telling me it's stopped running. It seems to me that I'm heading down the same road as yesterday so...

Is it app conflicts that could be causing this kind of behavior? Do I need to be concerned about which apps I put on my phone at the same time as other apps that I put on it?

Is there any way to just fix this issue that I'm currently at with the battery monitor stopping to respond? Can I somehow restore just the battery monitor in case it's somehow become corrupt?

And finally if I have to do another reset of my phone, do I need to wipe clean the SD card? It has a lot of my music and I've finally gotten it to where all the albums have cover art etc and I'd like to avoid having to move it to my PC again to back it up and then have to move it again as it takes an extremely long time to move that many GB.

Thanks, really appreciate any insight/information you can give me on this.

Welcome to the forums.
Try powering the device off, and boot into recovery. Try holding volume down and power at the same time. Once there use the volume keys to navigate to the wipe cache partition and press power.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Remove the SD card before you do a factory reset or back up the SD card onto your PC and then do the reset.

Traijan

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Yup that's what I did, I wasn't sure if the SD card had to be in there or not during the reset so I put back in the original 1 or 2GB SD card just to be certain and then when it was done I put back in my new 32GB SD card and thankfully it didn't take anything to get the music player to recognize that everything was still on there (as far as my music is concerned).

Anyway, is this going to be a regular occurance for this phone?

If it's known for issues like this then I'd rather spend some cash and buy a phone that isn't going to have to have me reset it every 3 or 7 days. It's just not worth the hassle of having to re-install the apps that I want on it.

I know that I've read people that say that this phone falls apart as the screws come out of it somewhere but I'm fine with that as I don't mind tightening up some screws once in a while but if the thing is going to have the operating system have issues like this frequently, well...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not so much a conflict of apps, it's a conflict between a phone with limited space and apps that need a lot of space. (There are apps running in the background that you don't see, so that 512MB of RAM (which is tiny by today's standards) isn't all available to run your apps. If the app is too big, something stops working - because there's no room to put some other app (the one that stopped working) in.

Get used to Android with that phone, run small apps and save your money to get a phone with more RAM. (At least 2GB these days, more if you want to be able to keep the phone running then-current apps longer.)

Traijan

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I know nothing about androids so when I bought this seeing that it had a 2GB SD card I figured that I could simply put in a larger SD card (which I did) and that would allow the system apps to run on the 512MB internal memory, and the phone would use the 32GB SD card to allow the apps that I add to the phone to both reside and run on/from the 32GB SD card that I added to the phone. Sort of like using the 32GB SD card as memory and storage. I see now that is wrong.

Oh well, this is a cheap learning experience since it's only a $30 phone. I'll pick up something substantially better in about a month when the payment I've already made to activate and use this phone for a month runs out in June.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Think of storage (both internal and the SD card) as the hard drive in a desktop computer. You can store things on them (except that a lot of apps won't run if stored on an SD card) but they run in RAM. (In fact, there's very little difference between an SD card and an SSD "drive" They're both the same type of memory, it's basically the controller that's different, giving SSDs more write cycles.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez