Can I hack my phone to use it to Tether?

manwithaphone

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Tether hack (sort of)

Hello everyone, I have upgraded from my W700i today to a Sony Xperia M2.

I'm on a network in the UK called 3 (Three). They allow unlimited phone data and caps tethering to 2gb per month.

Is there a way to hack this phone to use the phone data for tethering? Effectively giving me unlimited tethering as opposed to the 2gb limit?

I've read a couple of threads so far for carriers that outright ban tethering, but not sure if that'd be the best approach. I'm new to android.

Thanks in advance

Jack

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Tether hack (sort of)

Tethering is phone data. They limit you to using data on devices other than your phone to 2GB/month. The only thing you can hack is their accounting server, to give yourself an unlimited tethering account.

manwithaphone

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site

I think you mis-read what I said.

The phone has unlimited data and tethering to other devices is capped to 2gb.

I want to trick the device into giving my unlimited phone data to other devices as tethering. No need to hack into their accounting servers or sarcasm.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

You can't "trick the device". If the data is being used by a device other than your phone, it comes under the cap. If it's your device using the data it's unlimited. I read what you said, and understood it. The misunderstanding seems to be yours, in that you don't know that the carrier can differentiate between data used by the phone and data being used by another device tethered to the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress