Screen unresponsive in some places? Try these fixes.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
If your screen is getting unresponsive in some specific places don't worry too much, you are not alone. It's a known issue that has been affecting different devices, brands and Android versions. The usual "dead" spots are placed on the four corners, the middle of the screen or some letters when you open the keyboard. Thanks to the community feedback there are some simple fixes that, most likely, will solve your problem. Check them out and tell us if they did the trick for you. Please, feedback is the key :)

Interference. If you are using a case take it out, reboot your phone for a fresh start and try again. There's a chance that it could be interfering with some sensors in your phone.

Third party apps. For most people with this problem the cause was a conflict with an app. These are some of the culprits.

- Facebook Messenger. The conflict is related to the chat heads. Disable this app temporarily and see if the problem persists. For a few users just disabling the chat heads did the trick.

- Live wallpaper. Change your live wallpaper for an static one that came preinstalled in your phone. Reboot and see what happens.

- Clean Master. There's an special feature called "iswipe" that has been causing different screen problems for some users. Disable or, even better, uninstall this app. It's possible that you'll need to uncheck it first in settings - security - device administrators.

- There are a few reports about Samsung Pay or Droid Optimizer causing screen issues that stopped after disabling any of these apps. There's not much feedback about these apps though, but still worth a try.

Safe mode. This process will temporarily disable every app that didn't come preinstalled in your phone. If the problem doesn't appear while your phone is running in safe mode then it means that you have a tedious task ahead. Reboot your phone to exit safe mode and start disabling, one by one, your apps until you find the culprit. You should start with apps that you downloaded or updated right before the problem started and any app with fancy screen features like bubbles, swipe or lock options. Just be aware that some of the apps listed before do come preinstalled in some phones/brands, so they will run even in safe mode!

Developer options. If you're still reading this there's a big chance that nothing worked for you and maybe your phone has a hardware problem. There's an easy way to get visual feedback every time you touch the screen so you can check if there are any real dead spots. You need to have the developer options enabled so if they are still disabled go to settings - about phone - scroll down and tap 7 times on the Build number until they open.

Open the developer options, scroll down to the "input" section and switch these options on:

Show touches. You'll see a visual cue on the screen when a touch is registered. It will recognise when you swipe around painting the whole path.

Pointer location. The coordinates for the last touch will appear on your status bar.

Now, tap & swipe over those places where you are having issues. If you don't get a visual feedback (broken line when swiping) or the coordinates don't change, there's a big chance that you need to visit a repair shop or make use of the warranty. You can see in the screenshot how these options work

When you finish the test remember to switch them off and you can disable the whole developer options with the toggle top right of that screen.

Nothing worked. If you can't manage to fix the problem there's always the last resource. Make sure to backup everything you don't want to lose and hit factory reset. If you're going to send your phone to the shop they are going to do it anyway, so ....

Good luck .

Attachments

• 1453329394336.jpg
    1453329394336.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 27

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
- Clean Master. There's an special feature called "iswipe" that has been causing different screen problems for some users. Disable or, even better, uninstall this app. It's possible that you'll need to uncheck it first in settings - security - device administrators.
Uninstalling "RAM cleaners" solves a lot of other problems too - like slow phones, high battery drain and general "not working right" problems. Android doesn't want RAM "cleaned". It wants to keep as much in RAM as it can at all times. Cleaning RAM slows the phone (which can lead to apparent lack of response intermittently in different places on the screen) and eats battery because the phone has to load the app back again in many cases.

(Dianne Hackborn, an Android software engineer, explains it all at Multitasking the Android Way.)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thx for this guide. I did everything from this list to my old HTC Wildfire S which has some 'dead space' in the upper right corver but no luck. Even after factory reset I can't fix the problem. Does it mean that I need to replace touchscreen? Is this my only option?

Most likely. If even a factory reset didn't fix the problem I'm afraid the next step is taking your phone to a repair shop. Sorry.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I've read a couple of reports about Handcent creating screen issues as well. Disabling the app apparently fixed the problem.

freoboy

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
I've got a similar problem with my HTC one (m8) around the 't' key (and up) on my keyboard. I've tried all these solves inlcuding factory reboot and installing swiftkey and trying that. Nothing works. However there is no deadspot when I use the phone keypad and there's no deadspot when I 'calibrate' the HTC sense keyboard. However, there is a deadspot on the phone in all other general uses and a clear dead spot when I show touches in the developer options. Any explanation for why this might be? and, also, is it time to visit a repair shop?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. It's possible that the key pad is working fine since the keys are much larger. I've never used the Sense calibration tool but, as far as I know, it's designed to correct any typing error so it'll recognise touch 'outside the proper' key. Not sure it this is a helpful tool to recognise hardware dead spots.

How big is the dead spot when you enable the 'show touches' option? Could you post a screenshot? If safe mode and factory reset didn't fix the problem I'm inclined to think this is a hardware issue.

johnyJBravo

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
I have to ask something, it is not really related to this but here it goes- what should I do if my home, search and back buttons stop working? They are physical buttons, not on screen. I am using Simple Control app so that I can actually use my phone, but it really get's on my nerves so I thought you might know how to fix them?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I have to ask something, it is not really related to this but here it goes- what should I do if my home, search and back buttons stop working? They are physical buttons, not on screen. I am using Simple Control app so that I can actually use my phone, but it really get's on my nerves so I thought you might know how to fix them?
That's a tricky one :) What device do you have? There are several threads in the forums about this same problem. Sometimes it's hardware, sometimes just a force reboot can fix it.