Syncing directions

fluidj

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I have yet to figure out the method to the madness with regards to how Android handles syncing...or really i should say "syncing". This is particularly related to Calendars and Contacts.

My definition of syncing would be that if I enter some data in one location, it should sync that data back to all other similar types of locations. For instance, if I enter a calendar event on my phone, it should sync that event or appointment back to every calendar that I have mated up to my android phone (Outlook, Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc.). The same goes for contacts.

It appears that Android doesn't function in this manner though, and I can't for the life of me understand why. It is perhaps the most frustrating aspect of Android.

Sean Brunett

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I have yet to figure out the method to the madness with regards to how Android handles syncing...or really i should say "syncing". This is particularly related to Calendars and Contacts.

My definition of syncing would be that if I enter some data in one location, it should sync that data back to all other similar types of locations. For instance, if I enter a calendar event on my phone, it should sync that event or appointment back to every calendar that I have mated up to my android phone (Outlook, Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc.). The same goes for contacts.

It appears that Android doesn't function in this manner though, and I can't for the life of me understand why. It is perhaps the most frustrating aspect of Android.

Yes you are correct on the definition of syncing. In my experience Android has accomplished this quite well, but I use mostly Google's services (contacts, calendar, etc), so naturally syncing will be seamless with them.

Which services are you particularly having an issue with? Outlook with corporate email?

fluidj

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes you are correct on the definition of syncing. In my experience Android has accomplished this quite well, but I use mostly Google's services (contacts, calendar, etc), so naturally syncing will be seamless with them.

Which services are you particularly having an issue with? Outlook with corporate email?

That's just it, the act of syncing should function across all services that function with the phone. Most corporate folks with an Android device use at least two calendars (Google & Outlook); so it would seem that the most sensible way to merge the two would be via syncing. ie; if I'm away from my office and I put a new appointment in my phone, then that appointment should immediately and automatically populate/sync onto both my Google Calendar and my Outlook Calendar. Both calendars should always reflect the same appointments.

Sean Brunett

May 24, 2010
Visit site
That's just it, the act of syncing should function across all services that function with the phone. Most corporate folks with an Android device use at least two calendars (Google & Outlook); so it would seem that the most sensible way to merge the two would be via syncing. ie; if I'm away from my office and I put a new appointment in my phone, then that appointment should immediately and automatically populate/sync onto both my Google Calendar and my Outlook Calendar. Both calendars should always reflect the same appointments.

Yes, but what service exactly are you having issues with? Maybe we can resolve your issue. Sometimes it's been an Exchange problem

fluidj

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but what service exactly are you having issues with? Maybe we can resolve your issue. Sometimes it's been an Exchange problem

Ahh, I appreciate that. The thing is, there isn't really a "problem" as much as it seems that Android doesn't offer the functionality. Here are the scenarios:

1. I enter an appointment into Outlook while i'm sitting at my desk at work. That appointment syncs and populates onto my android device just fine within a few minutes.

2. I enter an appointment into my android device while i'm away from my desk, and I have to select the calendar I want to add it to; THAT is where the problem arises....If I select my outlook account, it syncs back to my outlook just fine, but that appointment never syncs onto my google calendar.

3. I enter an appointment into Google Calendar from my computer while i'm sitting on my sofa at home. That appointment syncs and populates onto my android device just fine within a few minutes.

4. I enter an appointment into my android device while i'm out and about away from home and office, and I have to select the calendar I want to add it to; THAT is where the problem arises....If I select my google account, it syncs back to my google just fine, but that appointment never syncs onto my outlook calendar.

I do not see an option to either a)add an appointment to both calendars simultaneously or b)sync an appointment between all calendars.

5. I enter an appointment into my android device while i'm out and about away from home and office, and I have to select the calendar I want to add it to; ...If I select my my phone, it just sits on my phone calendar and never syncs back to my google or my outlook calendar. I don't get why this is even an option.

Sean Brunett

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Ahh, I appreciate that. The thing is, there isn't really a "problem" as much as it seems that Android doesn't offer the functionality. Here are the scenarios:

1. I enter an appointment into Outlook while i'm sitting at my desk at work. That appointment syncs and populates onto my android device just fine within a few minutes.

2. I enter an appointment into my android device while i'm away from my desk, and I have to select the calendar I want to add it to; THAT is where the problem arises....If I select my outlook account, it syncs back to my outlook just fine, but that appointment never syncs onto my google calendar.

3. I enter an appointment into Google Calendar from my computer while i'm sitting on my sofa at home. That appointment syncs and populates onto my android device just fine within a few minutes.

4. I enter an appointment into my android device while i'm out and about away from home and office, and I have to select the calendar I want to add it to; THAT is where the problem arises....If I select my google account, it syncs back to my google just fine, but that appointment never syncs onto my outlook calendar.

I do not see an option to either a)add an appointment to both calendars simultaneously or b)sync an appointment between all calendars.

5. I enter an appointment into my android device while i'm out and about away from home and office, and I have to select the calendar I want to add it to; ...If I select my my phone, it just sits on my phone calendar and never syncs back to my google or my outlook calendar. I don't get why this is even an option.

ahhh ok, calendar to calendar sync issues, yes that can be annoying since you use both so often.

Have you set up Google Calendar sync to Microsoft Outlook yet? If not, you'll need to do so in order for the calendars to speak to each other. Support for Outlook 2010 was added last year, so you should be good to go no matter the version.

Here is a link to Gmail's blog post about it:

Google Calendar Sync now supports Outlook 2010 - Official Gmail Blog

Just download Google Calendar sync and once it is installed you should be able to set it up easily in the settings. Please let me know if you continue to have issues.

Reactions: fluidj

fluidj

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
ahhh ok, calendar to calendar sync issues, yes that can be annoying since you use both so often.

Have you set up Google Calendar sync to Microsoft Outlook yet? If not, you'll need to do so in order for the calendars to speak to each other. Support for Outlook 2010 was added last year, so you should be good to go no matter the version.

Here is a link to Gmail's blog post about it:

Google Calendar Sync now supports Outlook 2010 - Official Gmail Blog

Just download Google Calendar sync and once it is installed you should be able to set it up easily in the settings. Please let me know if you continue to have issues.

Thanks, but I have tried Google Calendar sync previously....but it made a mess of my outlook calendar; it infinitely duplicated multiple calendar entries, changed birthday's to appointments, turned holidays into meeting invites, etc, generally made a grand mess of things. I vowed to never make that mistake again lol. Took me virtually bombing my outlook calendar to fix things. Ultimately I just get the feeling that Google doesn't get this whole calendar thing. :(
The Android device would seem to be the perfect conduit to get calendar sync functional and useful without the need to download any software or add ons to your computer.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Most corporate folks with an Android device use at least two calendars (Google & Outlook)
Citation? Don't assume that most do what you do. I'm a corporate person with an Android device and I don't use a Google calendar.

Ultimately I just get the feeling that Google doesn't get this whole calendar thing. :(
They don't get your preference. People like me don't want what you're after. I don't see the harm in having the option though...

I'm using gsyncit myself and would highly recommend it. However, I'm only using it to sync my contacts from Outlook to Google for Google Voice. I have no need or want for any other sync with my Google account.

r2dtoo

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Just my two cents. I would HATE it if this was the way the sync worked. I use my Google calendar for personal stuff, and my Outlook calendar for work stuff. I don't need the work calendar flooded with little kid birthday parties, church events, etc. I like keeping them seperate.

But, to each his own I guess...

fluidj

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Just my two cents. I would HATE it if this was the way the sync worked. I use my Google calendar for personal stuff, and my Outlook calendar for work stuff. I don't need the work calendar flooded with little kid birthday parties, church events, etc. I like keeping them seperate.

But, to each his own I guess...

I'd simply like the option. On WinMo, you had a choice how sync worked. Android hasn't incorporated that into their model. Definitely don't think it should be the default though.

fluidj

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Citation? Don't assume that most do what you do. I'm a corporate person with an Android device and I don't use a Google calendar.

They don't get your preference. People like me don't want what you're after. I don't see the harm in having the option though...

I'm using gsyncit myself and would highly recommend it. However, I'm only using it to sync my contacts from Outlook to Google for Google Voice. I have no need or want for any other sync with my Google account.

The whole post is about options. Nowhere did I imply that it should be the default setting....at least not intentionally.
I beg to differ and would state that you are likely NOT the norm, most people that use and pursue an Android device do so for the Google immersion, and not just to have a phone that syncs with their outlook; alas, I do not have stats to back this up...but I'm confident that it's a good hunch.;)

r2dtoo

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'd simply like the option. On WinMo, you had a choice how sync worked. Android hasn't incorporated that into their model. Definitely don't think it should be the default though.

I agree that having the option would be nice, and could even see some usefulness for it in cetain circumstances. Unfortunatly, I don't think there is a way without using Google Calendar Sync (and we know how "well" that works).