Hi guys,

I tried to google this but failed, so maybe you could answer this:

What is the exact location of the encryption key / master key (128 Bit AES) for the SD Card encryption on Android 9 (Samsung Galaxy S8, Build PPR1.180610.011.G950FXXU5DSFB), or how is it possible to extract it from the phone internal storage?

Thanks
    08-17-2019 10:06 AM
    Hi guys,

I tried to google this but failed, so maybe you could answer this:

What is the exact location of the encryption key / master key (128 Bit AES) for the SD Card encryption on Android 9 (Samsung Galaxy S8, Build PPR1.180610.011.G950FXXU5DSFB), or how is it possible to extract it from the phone internal storage?

Thanks
    Hi, welcome to the forums! What is it you trying to do?
    08-17-2019 10:31 AM
    I am trying to manually decrypt files from my SD card, since it seems my encryption of the SD card got corrupted (files are accessible but cant be opened anymore, and the SD card encryption shows as not encrypted). So i hope to find the key in the Android system somewhere and do the decryption manually (e.g. on a PC).
    08-17-2019 02:22 PM
    I am trying to manually decrypt files from my SD card, since it seems my encryption of the SD card got corrupted (files are accessible but cant be opened anymore, and the SD card encryption shows as not encrypted). So i hope to find the key in the Android system somewhere and do the decryption manually (e.g. on a PC).
    Ok..let me see if @Rukbat available
    08-17-2019 04:04 PM
    Thanks for the help, but i could fix my problem.

I just selected to encrypt the SD card again with the same PIN as before. The encryption finished instantly, probably the old key was recovered by Android.

Then, I selected to decrypt the SD card and all files where readable again :-).

Nevertheless I would like to now how to extract the master key file if you know how to do that?
    08-17-2019 04:36 PM
    If it was possible, it wouldn't be very good encryption, would it? Part of the key is what you put in for encryption, parts are taken from the phone (motherboard serial number, etc.) And they're built on the fly, not stored. That's why you can't put an encrypted card into another phone, then decrypt it.

What probably happened was a glitch, and when you tried it the second time it "failed to glitch" and worked.
    @mustang7757: When am I not available? Only when I'm sleeping, shopping or at one doctor or another. I don't lead a very exciting life. (I leave that for the 60 year young kids.)
    mustang7757 likes this.
    08-17-2019 04:48 PM