Why in the world am I moving to iPhone

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I've always hated Apple and their closed, expensive ecosystem, so why in the world am I moving to iPhone?
I've used Blackberries and Android phones for pretty nearly 20 years - 5 different Android phones since 2012, when I gave up on Blackberry, as they failed to keep up with the times. I've never owned a "flagship", and most likely never will. (unless I win one or am gifted one.....)
But each of the manufacturers of the Android phones I've owned have failed to live up to their "promise" to update
the phone for 2 or more years. And each phone got replaced for either more storage or because it started not
accepting calls or getting texts. I've still got 4 of the 5 phones, and try to keep 3 of them up to date, thanks to the
developers over at xda. But even custom ROMs still sometimes flake out for no apparent reason.
I originally picked up a used iPhone 5s because there was an app my wife wanted that was only available on iPhone.
She still had a flip phone and didn't want to use the iPhone. Then the flip died, and to speed availability, I just moved
her SIM to the iPhone. She has issues with touch screens, but has kept using that 7 year old phone, and it just works.
Along the way, I bought a used ipad mini 2 and an iPhone 6s, so I could be up to speed, and try to answer her
questions.
They're 7 and 5 years old, respectively, and they still just work.
Yes the iPhone battery life sucks, compared to my Motorola phones, but it still. just. works. -
And it runs all the Google apps I need. And it's 5 years old, and still getting official updates.
And it still. just. works.
I still don't like how overpriced most phones seem to be (to me), as the most I've ever spent was $200, but could
probably consider spending the $400 for the new iPhone SE, expecting it to still just work and be getting updated in 2025 and beyond.
That's why.

Nothing at all wrong with wanting to try something new or different.

I was Ford / Chevy for a long time. Then tried Honda. Will never go back.

I was with Verizon for ever. Just wanted to try something different so I jumped over to T-Mobile. I'll be T-mobile for lif........well, I'll get back to that one. :)

I was Android since day one. Loved the ecosystem, loved the devices I had (all Nexus / Pixel devices), loved the custom roms. For no reason, other than just wanting to try it, I got an iPhone. Been on the Apple bandwagon for several years. May stay that way, or I may go back to Android. But I still hang out here at Android Central for several reasons. As a pro a/v integrator, most of the items we use and install are Android based, specifically digital signage players. Now displays are coming with SoC Android players. Pretty fun stuff to work with.

Again, nothing wrong with being an Android user and wanting to try Apple.

And yes, I've said just the opposite to people who use Apple and want to try Android. I do miss the custom roms and the Samsung S-pen.

blak8830

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
It still shocks me that even low end phones have more storage and power than the first 5 or 6 computers that I've owned.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Wasn't the iPhone SE pretty much an iPhone 6 in a smaller package? I know my husband and brother got excellent battery life on their SE phones.

Yup the SE had great battery life .I still have mine , but its no longer used just kept in case , its third in line of my backup phones

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
2020 and you still can’t choose 3rd party notification tones for all your apps on iPhone. That just astounds me. There’s a back gesture that works on some apps but not all and if you want to put your own ringtones on the phone you need to sync it with iTunes on a pc. First iPhone in 3 years and still can’t believe these things haven’t been addressed yet. Oh and when the hell will they ever add Always on Display?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
2020 and you still can’t choose 3rd party notification tones for all your apps on iPhone. That just astounds me. There’s a back gesture that works on some apps but not all and if you want to put your own ringtones on the phone you need to sync it with iTunes on a pc. First iPhone in 3 years and still can’t believe these things haven’t been addressed yet. Oh and when the hell will they ever add Always on Display?

Those kinds of issues would bother me too if I switched over to Apple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty