[Chatter] "Where everybody knows your name ..."

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I thought Google made it clear that producing a CDMA Nexus was not something they were interested in doing, no?
Yeah they made some comments towards that but in the end it comes down to what the carriers want too.. Its been said if the carrier wants it bad enough they will get it...

Sprint has always been there for the big stuff so who knows... It wouldn't hurt them to get it, that's for sure.

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If the S4 is anything like the leaked one I'm going to, most likely, own a One as soon as it comes to VZW.

Word. The shape of the One is much more appealing. As well as the construction. Not to mention that Samsung radios usually suck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Samsung radios usually suck
In the past I would for the most part agree with this statement. However after seeing first hand the signal quality my wife now gets on cough cough Sprint cough I have to question that statement and those who continue to complain..

She used to complain a lot back on our Galaxy S days and I had similar complaints on my NS4G and every now and then on my GNex but her S3 does seem to hold onto the signal very well and it pulls in a very respectable LTE signal without tapping crap out of the battery.

HTC One construction.. I have to tip my hat to them there.. That solid one pieced chassis is hard to to find fault ;)

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
In the past I would for the most part agree with this statement. However after seeing first hand the signal quality my wife now gets on cough cough Sprint cough I have to question that statement and those who continue to complain..

She used to complain a lot back on our Galaxy S days and I had similar complaints on my NS4G and every now and then on my GNex but her S3 does seem to hold onto the signal very well and it pulls in a very respectable LTE signal without tapping crap out of the battery.

HTC One construction.. I have to tip my hat to them there.. That solid one pieced chassis is hard to to find fault ;)

Completely agree my note 2 and s3 both had excellent call and signal quality never really had issues that weren't issues with Verizons network not the hard ware... And about the one so glad to see someone rival apples build quality on an Android device, it's exciting

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah they made some comments towards that but in the end it comes down to what the carriers want too.. Its been said if the carrier wants it bad enough they will get it...

Sprint has always been there for the big stuff so who knows... It wouldn't hurt them to get it, that's for sure.

Google will not build a CDMA or LTE Nexus until they become open standards. That's why LG released the Optimus G. Same phone, you can even hack the Nexus stock software on it.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Completely agree my note 2 and s3 both had excellent call and signal quality never really had issues that weren't issues with Verizons network not the hard ware... And about the one so glad to see someone rival apples build quality on an Android device, it's exciting

My Note 2 has a great signal/radio/call quality, never had anything better. This is not an argument against Samsung devices anymore, at least on the higher-end ones.

I have a Galaxy Nexus, SGSIII, and Galaxy Note II, and my experience has been that both the SGSIII and Note II receive service in areas where the Galaxy Nexus does not. When I was up in rural New Hampshire last weekend, I brought both my Note II and Galaxy Nexus. The Note II picked up voice and 1xRTT data, while the Galaxy Nexus had no service at all.

The newer Samsung phones have definitely improved in that regard.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Nexus, SGSIII, and Galaxy Note II, and my experience has been that both the SGSIII and Note II receive service in areas where the Galaxy Nexus does not. When I was up in rural New Hampshire last weekend, I brought both my Note II and Galaxy Nexus. The Note II picked up voice and 1xRTT data, while the Galaxy Nexus had no service at all.

The newer Samsung phones have definitely improved in that regard.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Good to know. My wife has the S3 and it seems to do well for her. My Gnex gets horrible reception unless I am standing outside when I am at work, which now equates to 72 hours a week. Time to search for a used S3 on Craigslist for me.

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Motorola.

That is all. :p

Had a Maxx for awhile. Hated the screen, loved the battery life. Anything I buy, I have to buy off contract so I need to make sure that I am in love with it.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I got 3 portals submitted been almost 2 weeks since I sent them in,so I know it will be awhile still .:)

I submitted about a hundred in late January and so far four have been approved. It took about six weeks after I submitted before receiving the approval notifications.

Sent from my SGSIII

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Google will not build a CDMA or LTE Nexus until they become open standards. That's why LG released the Optimus G. Same phone, you can even hack the Nexus stock software on it.

Well that does just SUCK doesn't it? In all honesty I don't really see why Google should care about the CDMA or LTE standards being open or closed.

Google writes the software and it gets placed on the device made by whatever OEM. Google tests all their stuff on GSM anyways so I'd say let CDMA/LTE carriers like Sprint or Verizon have the Nexus. Afterall if they want it bad enough they will hand over their proprietary files (including the super top secret radio firmware) and let Google throw it together. Most of the time it appears as if the carrier places all the secret goodies on the device after they receive the finished OS product and then after their own internal testing they send back the finalized software and proprietary files to Google to initiate the OTA/manual update.

We've seen evidence of this with Sprint and the GNex.. They have held out consistantly from giving up their secret binaries so that is why Sprint has never gotten true AOSP support for the GNex. However they seemed to come thru on the NS4G with full AOSP support?!? At best Sprint has released the factory images to Google to put up but that is it...

If in the end its Sprint that looks more like the fool to the techies like us that know the real story for holding out due to licensing restraints.

Guess I'm just a frustrated Sprint consumer and a hacked Optimus G with Nexus software still isn't a Nexus and won't get my money.

I know this is a silly rant thats been played out time and time again but it does just suck... Let Sprint and Verizon have a Nexus, let them update it or not due to holding out on their licensed/closed firmware pieces. Google will still make their cut of the money and do as they have in the past... Don't point the finger at us, tell Sprint/Verizon you want your update because only they can make it happen.

Just my 2 cents.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
It isn't Google's fault man. They don't want to dilute their Nexus brand by compromising to these carriers, and I applaud them for it. HTC is doing the same thing with its One line and it's exactly what every manufacturer should be doing.

I understand the situations are frustrating to CDMA customers but there are other options. Get away from that horrible CDMA network once your two years are up and when you terminate your service do it in a Verizon store so you can give that company the finger in person for acting like they should be anything more than spectrum jockeys.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Didn't know I was going somewhere
yhepy5y6.jpg

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I know what your saying Cole. I know it isn't Google's fault it all lies in the CDMA carriers hand for not playing ball.

Honestly I'm happy with my Sprint service now that I have LTE to fall back on for Sprint 's slower 3g. Still unlimited and at times I'm very thankful for that especially when my girls and the wife are eating up data on LTE.

Maybe one day I'll have to rock a pre paid plan to get a taste of the Nexus line in the future.

I'm not giving up hope though for Sprint to one day rethink their closed licensing practices and realize the potential group of people they are leaving out of the loop with their decision.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Get away from that horrible CDMA network once your two years are up and when you terminate your service do it in a Verizon store so you can give that company the finger in person for acting like they should be anything more than spectrum jockeys.
It's hard to leave when you have unthrottled, unlimited data at VZWs 4G LTE speeds for $30/mo and if you leave you can't get it back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez