Android is Leaving me with little choice

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
The thing is that little of that has to do with Google. Android is open source so everyone has the opportunity to add or remove whatever features they want. Google just isn't adding micro SD card support in the versions they release. If OEM's aren't putting micro SD cards or large amounts of internal memory in their phones there is nothing Google or Android can do about that. Given that there are several options for phones with expandable memory and large amounts of internal memory available, you're correct in saying that it's a carrier decision, and my guess is that decision is based on demand vs cost.

It's just that every time you blame Google or Android, you're not blaming the correct source. They have no say in what most OEM's put in their phones (Motorola claims Google has little to no say in what they do, but I'm a bit skeptical of that) or what phones any carriers offer. It can't possibly be a problem with Google or Android.

Maybe, but from what I can see most if not all Motorola Android phones had micro SD slots then Google bought them and now all the phones they have designed since the Google purchase have no Micro SD slots. Also, I don't think Google has ever released a Nexus device with a micro SD slot.

Also interesting is that many of the HTC phones released in Asia have micro SD slots, but the US versions of the same phone do not have SD card support. I moved from Apple two years ago to get a larger screen, micro SD card support and a removable battery. Battery life has improved on new phones so this is not quite a critical, plus there are now affordable port recharging devices. Personally I do keep a lot of media on my phone and I don't want to have to worry about being connected or using data to download my media that I already own. The number one reason I recently went with a GS4 was micro SD card support and removable batteries. The SD slot was the main deciding factory for me. The only reason I can see to remove it would be to charge $50-$100 more for $5 worth of memory, or so US wireless companies can get you to spend more to pay for more data to download the content you already own.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I thought I would need a huge amount of memory so I added a 64 GB SanDisk Extreme to my 32GB S4. Turns out I didn't really need 96GB of storage on my phone, so it was just overkill (for me), and a I have A LOT of content. Who knew?

from my Sony Xperia Tablet Z or XTZ or "Ecstasy"

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Clearly some people just like to add their little $.02 and state obvious **** by naming old phones that have expandable memory.. by me saying "the direction Google is going" should obviously tell you those phones that are no longer relevant to the convo...Seeing that they now have a new successor that do not have expandable memory or have 64gb internal memory carried by a major US cell phone provider ...

I never said there are no option I said there are few (fewer, less than before,) options... for me to have a new major cell phone (flagship, popular, highly know and supported) htc one, LG G2, moto x, droids,etc. ..with 64gb internal storage ...thats it! Thats the only point im making. .

I dont hate android ..I dont love apple its a simple effin observation...

...is it ok with u if I simply wish these types of phones start coming to US carriers in the 64gb variety that other countries see..to our local US providers.... I don't give a damn if u don't need 64gb....I DO! My point is once im done with samsung (I dont know Sonys availability) ..with the current trend of NEW phones I don't have many options but 1 viable is to try the iphone @ 64gb ..if u can't understand that idk what to tell u

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Maybe, but from what I can see most if not all Motorola Android phones had micro SD slots then Google bought them and now all the phones they have designed since the Google purchase have no Micro SD slots. Also, I don't think Google has ever released a Nexus device with a micro SD slot.
That's the reason I'm skeptical. From what I've read Google claims to not try to control what Motorola Mobility does, but they also "coincidentally" dropped micro SD card support after Google bought them.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Clearly some people just like to add their little $.02 and state obvious **** by naming old phones that have expandable memory.. by me saying "the direction Google is going" should obviously tell you those phones that are no longer relevant to the convo...Seeing that they now have a new predecessors that do not have expandable memory or have 64gb internal memory carried by a major US cell phone provider ...

I never said there are no option I said there are few (fewer, less than before,) options... for me to have a new major cell phone (flagship, popular, highly know and supported) htc one, LG G2, moto x, etc. ..with 64gb internal storage ...thats it! ...is it ok with u if I simply wish these types of phones start coming to US carriers in the 64gb variety that other countries see..to our local US providers.... I don't give a damn if u don't need 64gb....I DO! My point is once im done with samsung (I dont know Sonys availability) ..with the current trend of NEW phones I don't have many options but to try a long timed hated iphone...if u can't understand that idk what to tell u

Lol OP you're just a troll.

You keep stating that the options are fewer and fewer with Android so you're hopping over to Apple.

Well, what about Windows Phone 8? What about Firefox? What about Ubuntu?

There are more options out there, you're just refusing to explore them.

Samsung, Sony, and Asus are Android US OEMs that I know off the top of my head (without doing a Google search) that are building flagship phones that still have expandable memory. All you need to do is look harder.

But like I said in a previous post, no one's going to feel bad if you opt to buy a 64 GB iPhone for $400 because it has 48 GB more internal storage lol.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site

You keep stating that the options are fewer and fewer with Android so you're hopping over to Apple.

Samsung, Sony, and Asus are Android US OEMs that I know off the top of my head (without doing a Google search) that are building flagship phones that still have expandable memory. All you need to do is look harder.

But like I said in a previous post, no one's going to feel bad if you opt to buy a 64 GB iPhone for $400 because it has 48 GB more internal storage lol.

Oh by the way which store can I pick up that ASUS or Sony?

I dont want another OS outside of android or ios ...the post states "android" is leaving me with little options. ..not Apple has the most.... this is about Android Android Android ...got it!!

I didn't ask you to feel bad..
I didn't say I was just going to hope over to Apple...but if and when I do ..so what...is that a problem?

I prefer to have more choices on android to have more memory......
u my friend are the troll its clear....

I've explored my options. ..and its on its way...my note3 .. ...I wanted a 64gb G2...

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Thank u for ur opinion. .God bless!! Oh by the whay which store can I pick up that ASUS or Sony?

I think TMobile offers Sony phones. I don't think anyone should be directed to use the clould unless they want to use the cloud. I must admit, I'm not a big "cloud" fan and I prefer to have my content local. As long as I have the option local storage is what I'll use which means local storage has to be adequate. 64GB sounds reasonable to me for comfort and room for growth. Expandable storage means I don't to spend time considering how much local storage is available. However, it looks like things are not headed ina direction of my choosing. Such is life.

from my Sony Xperia Tablet Z or XTZ or "Ecstasy"

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site

Its obvious ur opinions aren't valued ...since 2009 u have 0 thanks thanked 6 times in 3 post...probably cause u spend too much time talking shiii..so shut up and move along

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
...lmao...smh.. some of you people need to work on reading comprehension...
LOL, I agree but you also need to re-read your posts. There is some poorly written English in them.

Yes the vendor choice is decreasing but there are still plenty of choices. Dismissing Sony as a viable alternative seems disingenuous like if you're dismissing them because they don't jive with your arguments.

I get your frustration but instead of trying to win an agreement keep and open mind with devices an solutions because of all the platform Android is the one with the most choices.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
LOL, I agree but you also need to re-read your posts. There is some poorly written English in them.

Yes the vendor choice is decreasing but there are still plenty of choices. Dismissing Sony as a viable alternative seems disingenuous like if you're dismissing them because they don't jive with your arguments.

I get your frustration but instead of trying to win an agreement keep and open mind with devices an solutions because of all the platform Android is the one with the most choices.

Lol ..well writing a post while im working. .I am hardly taking the time to edit and address grammatical errors...but yes it was a quick write. .random thoughts on how I felt...

Sony / Asus ..keep in mind I said only one "major" supports expandable memory... like I said before ..I don't actually know their availability..sony and Asus wasn't in verizon or At&t the last I checked....haven't seen the inside of a sprint or tmobile store in a while.. I wish they were bigger in the US ...personally I dont see or hear enough about their phones. The recently announced one looks nice however...

I did say I could have been more clear though.... android has many options.. I agree. . The options for larger memory phones however is decreasing for major United States cellular companies......

...thanks for reading!!!

Last edited:

Kayone73

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Nice if u want to drop the money outside of traditional upgrades. ... (I won't) ..lol

I pay full price so I don't have to be locked into contract renewal, its how the rest of the world does it, we Americans are spoiled for having subsidized phone prices and thus don't truly value what luxury items we have in cheap high end smartphones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
People have mentioned Asus and Sony, the only issue here is that the op has stated they are on Verizon so unlocked is not going to work unless they change carriers and that may not be an option or a want to the op.

Now in defense of the op, one reason Android has been very popular because users have been able to have variety in their devices and find the one that suits their needs/wants. The op is not able to do that since their carrier has one phone that meets their wants in a phone and that one is the iPhone. I know carriers in the US have a lot of control, especially Verizon, some wants are not being met due to this control.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Its obvious ur opinions aren't valued ...since 2009 u have 0 thanks thanked 6 times in 3 post...probably cause u spend too much time talking shiii..so shut up and move along

LOL.

Nice try bro, but I just joined these forums last month, check my profile again. Although I am slightly flattered by your creepy stalkerish decision to browse my profile to try to dig up any dirt on me lmao.

Seriously, you fail at searching people's profiles as badly as you fail searching the internet for 64 GB phones. Maybe iOS really is a better suit for you rofl.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
LOL.

Nice try bro, but I just joined these forums last month, check my profile again. Although I am slightly flattered by your creepy stalkerish decision to browse my profile to try to dig up any dirt on me lmao.

Seriously, you fail at searching people's profiles as badly as you fail searching the internet for 64 GB phones. Maybe iOS really is a better suit for you rofl.

Ur right took a quick glance... Lmao. Aug 09...but that explains much more... Ur a noob... Fyi.. AC isn't a forum where people come to talk shiii and just because people have a different opinion u call them a "fan boy" which by the sounds utterly ridiculous seeing I've never owned an iphone... Or ipad.. Respect people's views or you will probably find yourself tossed off AC.. I've probably owned more android devices and assisted more people than u can imagine... So talking to me like im new to this when ur the noob is completely funny.... And people tend to check your credibility on here when u start running off at the mouth..

I'm guessing u have a serious issue with apple because u keep throwing it at me like its the worst thing u can say.... Lmao... Grow up!

Its ok...i disagree with get the F over it... I know my options.. I don't want or am not going to go through the stress to obtain any the phones u listed.. Sony.. Asus... Let alone WP or Ubuntu... Ok! I don't need help finding a phone...i would simply like it if android OEM's/carriers are going to move away from Mico sd card which they're doing if u haven't heard Noob... Please provide Americans with more 64gb phones

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Ur right took a quick glance... Lmao. Aug 09...but that explains much more... Ur a noob... Fyi.. AC isn't a forum where people come to talk shiii and just because people have a different opinion u call them a "fan boy" which by the sounds utterly ridiculous seeing I've never owned an iphone... Or ipad.. Respect people's views or you will probably find yourself tossed off AC.. I've probably owned more android devices and assisted more people than u can imagine... So talking to me like im new to this when ur the noob is completely funny.... And people tend to check your credibility on here when u start running off at the mouth..

I'm guessing u have a serious issue with apple because u keep throwing it at me like its the worst thing u can say.... Lmao... Grow up!

Its ok...i disagree with get the F over it... I know my options.. I don't want or am not going to go through the stress to obtain any the phones u listed.. Sony.. Asus... Let alone WP or Ubuntu... Ok! I don't need help finding a phone...i would simply like it if android OEM's/carriers are going to move away from Mico sd card which they're doing if u haven't heard Noob... Please provide Americans with more 64gb phones

They why did u state that u want a phone with 64gb of storage and yet decline everyone's option they give u. U made this thread seem like u were looking for a phone itself and that's the majority of the responses u got. So if ur not looking for a phone don't make it seem like u are in ur topic and then yet argue with ppl who are giving u choice to choose from. If u are looking for a phone then quit arguing with ppl who are listing phones off.

If u don't like the choices in the states then move to a different country or go complain to manufactures about it.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
They why did u state that u want a phone with 64gb of storage and yet decline everyone's option they give u. U made this thread seem like u were looking for a phone itself and that's the majority of the responses u got. So if ur not looking for a phone don't make it seem like u are in ur topic and then yet argue with ppl who are giving u choice to choose from. If u are looking for a phone then quit arguing with ppl who are listing phones off.

If u don't like the choices in the states then move to a different country or go complain to manufactures about it.

Dude i guess u guys just like arguing instead of reading and comprehending what i am saying...

Move countries for a phone um??? Yea.. Ok..

I stated to the person i don't need help finding a phone.. I didn't state i wasn't looking for a phone.. Obviously looking for the phone I need led to my post..

My post was a statement about how android(OEM's /carriers... Etc) has left "me" a person looking for an android phone with large amount of memory limited choices.. Outside of Samsung.. Thats it... And how if Google and its OEM's are going to continue to move away from external memory that i wish they would give us more 64gb versions..

Sorry if i didn't take the advice from someone calling me a fan boy of an OEM i never owned to buy an old htc, wp, or Ubuntu.. Or break my contract to buy a unlocked sony... Or buy an Asus which oh i wont be able to hold or see prior to purchasing and i have no experience with these companies's phones ...
All this validates my point.... "Little options" for high memory phones running android outside of Samsung..so i ordered a Samsung.. It's just irritating when i maybe wanted the option of a G2, Moto X, HTC one with 64gb .. Thats all

So there was no disrespect intended to anyone's suggestions.. I just don't appreciate people disrespecting me for not going with their suggestion..
And called a fan boy because i considered a 64gb iphone.. Lmao... com'on son!

Last edited:

NoPrivacy

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
All that aside, the reason you are finding choices narrowed, especially on Verizon, is that they are in the business of selling bandwidth, not memory chips. It all falls into place when you realize that. Samsung gets away with Micro SDs only because they have the clout to dictate to Verizon and AT&T.

That being said, I keep my music on an old Sansa Clip+. It is light as hell and I don't kill my phone battery using it. Sound quality is also better than anything Android. So the only reason I really need storage on my phone is camera and videos I take.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Only One Major OEM supports expandable memory, ok fine then give me a 64g... Oh can't get that either.. No removable battery fine.. I can live with that.. As long as the one in the thing last.. Well looks i can't find an Android in this country with a great battery and huge amounts of memory (64g) i have a cloud service but don't want to stream all of the time. I need on board memory .. Unless i get a Samsung (which i have). But I would like to be able to buy another phone other than a Gs4 or Note(nothing wrong with them just would like another option)
Apple at least has a decent battery and gives those of us who need a large amount of memory an option and i swear I'm thinking about jumping over because of it.. I don't like the Gs4 and I'm growing old of the size on the Note... But those are my only options for large amounts of memory and great battery... For android to be all about flexibility... Its sad

Ok. Read ur topic and ur post it's about "You" complaining that you can't find a phone that suits "YOUR" needs because of Google. You never said anything about other ppl might want the same things u need. And yet you argue with ppl because they misinterpreted your posts.

Get real.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa