Need to buy a phone today, which to get?

Killda

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,
So, my girlfriend is sick of her old school Samsung galaxy note (yes, the first one) and wants a new phone this weekend. I personally have a Nexus 5 and love it and she adores the features of the camera app such as the 360 photosphere and the new lens blur feature.

However, the nexus 5 is now getting pretty old for the phone world and I want to be sure she's getting the best phone possible when renewing her contract. My biggest worry with any off-Google phone though is updates. Without having android updates, she could be missing out on tons of new features just because she got the wrong phone.

So I'm trying to think of the best options here:
Nexus 5, HTC one M8, Samsung Galaxy S5, and maybe some hope of getting a OneplusOne?

I have not used cyanogenmod but would rooting the S5/M8 and running cyanogenmod possibly solve my problem with updates?

Just wanted to see what this community would suggest I do, thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The Nexus 5 is and will be an excellent choice for some time, regardless of whatever may be coming up next from Google. If you need to get a phone today, that's probably the one to get, as long as long battery life isn't a major priority.

Another good option would be the Moto X, since it will likely continue to get system updates fairly quickly. Most people seem very satisfied with its camera, and the Active Display and always listening features are a real plus.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Both Samsung and HTC are not as good as Google, but not bad in terms of updates

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt that your girlfriend will care about phone updates, anyways out of the devices you suggested I will say let her choose her own phone.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
However, the nexus 5 is now getting pretty old for the phone world
...not really. It is faster and smoother than anything else out that I have seen. It has a better camera than the M8 and Moto X, and arguably better than the S5 as well.

The only phone I would consider over the Nexus right now is the One+1. And I'm not even completely sure about that.

So I'm trying to think of the best options here:
Nexus 5, HTC one M8, Samsung Galaxy S5, and maybe some hope of getting a OneplusOne?
One+1
Nexus 5
LG G2
Galaxy S5
HTCM8

In that order. The One+1 will certainly be well supported, but probably not as much as the Nexus.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus would be my choice. Any of the others are also good. I'm a little wary of the OnePlus because it's a startup and we've seen very little from them so far that would compel me to put my trust in them, but the early indications are almost all good, so if you're feeling adventurous...

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If I were going to buy a smartphone today, I'd buy a G2. I recently got them for both my wife and my mother in law and they both love them. I have a Nexus 5 and I would trade it for a G2 in a heart beat. I've had the M7, Moto X, Note 3, G2, and Nexus 5. The G2 is definitely the best of them.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty