All the little reasons I prefer Android over iOS

PNW123

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a 3rd generation iPad, and no direct experience with an iPhone. But based on that, and in addition to everything else people have said, I especially like Android better than iOS because:

1. The app icons stay where I put them on the screen, instead of re-arranging themselves every time I move one of them. (I am very visual and location-oriented, and having all of the icons jump around any time I move or delete one drives me crazy on the iPad!)

2. Swiftkeys! I know they have a version for iOS now, but it doesn't work very well because of the Apple architecture. The Google keyboard has improved but is a poor second to Swiftkeys, and iOS auto-correct doesn't deserve even an honorable mention in comparison. I nearly returned our iPad when I found out there was nothing equivalent to Swiftkeys for iOS. (I seriously wouldn't have bought it if I'd known.) I remain amazed that anyone can tolerate writing emails on an iPhone...

3. Android lets me edit my writing very precisely. I can use the touchscreen to tap the cursor right into the middle of a word. With iOS, I can only place the cursor at the beginning or end of a longish word. I can't even successfully place it between two small words, usually - have to erase them both to edit. And there's no arrow keys to move the cursor manually...

4. All of the accessories, cables, etc etc for Android devices are less expensive than the iOS versions.

5. And the peripherals are close enough to universal that I can often plug my phone into someone's car charger or borrow a cable when at a friend's house...

6. It seems like a much higher percentage of good Android apps are free or very inexpensive compared to iOS (but that might be a result of having an iPad).

Rock on, Android!

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I remember my first Android device. I had the HTC Hero on Sprint. My first impressions of the operating system and the phone itself was that it was interesting. It was very sluggish. I remember the YouTube app didn't work. The camera was bad. And the battery life was worse. But I liked it. I actually flip-flopped between the Hero and the Palm Pre. I really liked the widgets, All of the cool features, the customization. To have 5 screens that I could put anything on was awesome to me. To see how far Android has come since is incredible. And still today, I think the operating system is interesting.

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I remember my first Android device. I had the HTC Hero on Sprint. My first impressions of the operating system and the phone itself was that it was interesting. It was very sluggish. I remember the YouTube app didn't work. The camera was bad. And the battery life was worse. But I liked it. I actually flip-flopped between the Hero and the Palm Pre. I really liked the widgets, All of the cool features, the customization. To have 5 screens that I could put anything on was awesome to me. To see how far Android has come since is incredible. And still today, I think the operating system is interesting.

Wow, the HTC hero was my first Android phone. I have never own an iPhone and was never impressed with it. But Android has always interested me from day one.

Posted via the Android Central App

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Another reason to like Google new Apple, if you have Google Music all access, you get ad free YouTube.

awoks

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, I don't marry with any OS. I have a Nokia Lumia 1520, Blackberry Classic, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6S, Nexus 5, Moto G (2014) and had many Android flagships since 2010 when I started with the HTC Hero and so on.

But for me "just for me" I do prefer iOS for a few reasons.

1: Consistency
2: Quality of software and hardware
3: Updates
4: Security
5: Ease of use (don't get me wrong I am not a average user since I am a developer)

delmadan

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I think the way Apple manages their phone line up when it comes to features is a bit on the treat'em mean keep'em keen side. That way they can announce widgets and cause an uproar.

Fam Holter

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Because I'm a free spirit and I don't like cages :p

Seriously though, my nan has an iPhone, and whenever I have to help her with something, I just feel claustrophobic. I can absolutely see how it can be great for other peooles needs, like my nan, who is 75 and not very tech savvy. It works within it's own little bubble, and performs well.

But for me, I want better and more features for a lower price, I want expandable storage, so I don't have to fork out several months worth of moneys to get enough built-in storage. I want my UI to look the way I want it to look, and I want options, basically, both with devices and how the devices work. I've used Linux basically my whole life, and I really appreciate what open source can do for a girls life.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
There is one thing that has bothered me just a little when switching from iOS to Android. I no longer have access to the Beatles catalog as Google music does not have rights to it.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Apple is a closed company. They force customers to do as they want. Also their customer support is unfriendly and unhelpful.
I haven't heard that or experienced that with their customer service. It has been top match in my opinion. And yes, their ecosystem is more "closed", but apparently millions upon millions are fine with that.

Spiralcage

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I think that Apple will lose market shares from now on. They mess with app developers and some whole countries. China for example.

I really think Android will take iOS market shares over time. But I might be totally wrong of course.
;)

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I think that Apple will lose market shares from now on. They mess with app developers and some whole countries. China for example.

I really think Android will take iOS market shares over time. But I might be totally wrong of course.
;)
Manufacturers and Android are two different arguments. When it comes to manufacturers, Apple is on the incline and others like Samsung are on the decline in sales. When it comes to operating systems, Android has market share over iOS because there are many more Android handsets being sold overall.