Unlimited Data Going Bye Bye in U.S.?

Astroc2002

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I heard somewhere that the majority of the offered cellular providers that currently offer unlimited data (example T-Mobile) have been undergoing lawsuits over throttling issues.

And due to these throttling issues to unlimited data users that starting January 1st 2016 all unlimited data plans will be no longer available in the U.S.

I'm on T-Mobile with Unlimited Data and can vouch for the fact that I myself I have experienced throttling to my connection at times.. heck even when I was on MetroPCS I experienced the same thing.

I just wanted to confirm on whether or not this was just nothing more than a rumored scare tactic or if it is indeed legit, prior to myself switching back to Verizon. Any input helps.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard of anyone throttling unlimited being sued except for AT&T. The reason was AT&T just told everyone on unlimited they'd be throttled after 5 GB and the FCC told them they can't do that since they didn't sell them that to them when they got it.. It was unlimited (truly) when they bought it. Also because AT&T was doing it purely for profit gain.

If a carrier wants to throttle due to actual congestion that's allowed.. But it has to return to normal after. This is what AT&T was told and it goes for all other carriers. T-Mobile has plans that throttle after a certain amount (excluding unlimited of course) but that's allowed since they're selling you that up front.

Currently T-Mobile doesn't throttle unlimited unless you're over 21 GB (for that cycle) and the cell site you're on is congested. After the congestion is gone it won't throttle you anymore. Some people (like me) don't run into this but someone who lives in NYC or something may see it more due to the denser population.

Hope that helps :).

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Verizon only throttles on congested cell towers. They changed in anticipation of FCC being displeased.
Verizon will get rid of unlimited as people fall off to get that last upgrade.
Since everyone is moving to non-subsidized phones makes no sense for me to ever move off unlimited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress