Becoming tired of big Android phones

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
One handed isn't only about typing. It is overall day to day life. Try drinking something from Starbucks and walking to a class with a Note 5 in one hand trying to read emails or read a few headlines from your feed. Pretty hard to do. Overall in day to day scenarios one handed phones win out.

I do this though is what I am saying. I have adjusted to being able to one hand my device for reading news apps and such. I do it daily -- Typing is the only thing that seems impossible for me one handed but it was also something I never did one handed anyway.

So for me (and most likely some others) it doesn't really win out since it never really was a win or lose situation. I am able to simply do it because I kept using big phones and adjusted.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Here's the problem with that... the marketing research, sales trend analysis, and other data tell Samsung, LG, HTC, LG, Motorola, Huawei, as well as others I'm sure I'm forgetting that there is not a market that is big enough to still make a phone that will turn a profit.

Probably, business is business, however the preponderance of small Apple devices tells me otherwise. Knowing marketers also, they've reached the end of the line for size...only one way to go now to differentiate yourself.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I do this though is what I am saying. I have adjusted to being able to one hand my device for reading news apps and such. I do it daily -- Typing is the only thing that seems impossible for me one handed but it was also something I never did one handed anyway.

So for me (and most likely some others) it doesn't really win out since it never really was a win or lose situation. I am able to simply do it because I kept using big phones and adjusted.

Exactly you adjusted, but adjusting menas you have to change to accomadate someone elses changes. Not necessaril meaning one handed use is useless just that you are already used to have forgoning it anyways.

And even then, I strongly believe we shouldn't have to change our behavior or the way we do things to accomodate tech. It should adjust to us and our lives. When we adjust or change our behaviors or the way we do things for these OEMs we tell them that it is ok for you to do whatever because I'll buy your stuff anyways.

I understand this is can be a minor thing for some, but when it comes to me and a device that I have for multiple hours every day and all the time and depend on and have it do whatever I need it to do. I think the device itself should accomodate me. And for me that is the LG Lancet, it may run Windows Phone (8.1 Update 2), it is stable and dependable, it has a small size that is excellent for one handed use in any situation even typing and the display is good enough for watching netflix on if I want to, and it has all day battery life (owned it for months still haven't killed it in a day yet). That is what my life needs and what a device has to accomodate for.

When a smartphone like that comes around like that I have no issues looking into it and buying but as it stands in this current phabet market and the obsessiveness with smartphone makers with thinness, I am going to continue to use my current WP device. Sucks there is no Google Maps or BofA app but HERE Maps and text messaging banking is good enough for me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Exactly you adjusted, but adjusting menas you have to change to accomadate someone elses changes.

Of course I did since the market changed. Just like everything changes in life -- and you have to adjust to how things are. After that it becomes just as second nature as the smaller screens. I used to think "OMG a Note? No way that is huge!" then I tried one and was shocked on how easily I adjusted to it.

I am not saying you can't think that way -- I am just saying just because you think that we all had to sacrifice or give up something just to enjoy a bigger screen isn't true for everyone. Just trying to give you that other side of coin. Did I have to adjust? Sure. Do I feel like I am sacrificing or suffering due to it? No. It was simply an adjustment. Just like cars have changed, ISP speeds have changed, etc. etc.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If I had to use a smaller phone, I would use a Moto e 2nd gen. In some ways it works the same or better than $600+ phones

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=4864911

Life is full of compromises, just pick what works best for you.

With regards to smartphones specifically, the larger size, I can use my note 5 one handed in when needed. It is not the best option but it works. Would I move to a smaller phone? No way. I love the real estate, plus smaller phones give me a head ache after long usage.

Phones are built for the masses, so they will build what the majority of people want. Unfortunately, some people will be left out. Just like a few years ago, 5"+ phones where extremely rare and there were people like myself wanting a large phone and not being able to get one.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Of course I did since the market changed. Just like everything changes in life -- and you have to adjust to how things are. After that it becomes just as second nature as the smaller screens. I used to think "OMG a Note? No way that is huge!" then I tried one and was shocked on how easily I adjusted to it.

I am not saying you can't think that way -- I am just saying just because you think that we all had to sacrifice or give up something just to enjoy a bigger screen isn't true for everyone. Just trying to give you that other side of coin. Did I have to adjust? Sure. Do I feel like I am sacrificing or suffering due to it? No. It was simply an adjustment. Just like cars have changed, ISP speeds have changed, etc. etc.
This describes my experiences too.

I never thought I'd like a big phone. I also never used a phone one-handed, even when phones were small. I always typed with both thumbs on my little Nokia E62/E71 and BlackBerry 9000/9700.

I switched from a 2013 Moto X to a Moto X Pure Edition. It only took me two days to adjust to the size. Now I feel that I'd be sacrificing comfort if I had to use a small phone again.

callihan_44

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Ive had the note 4 since launch and I have gotten used to the screen size but find it annoying sometimes that it doesn't fit well in all pants pockets, fast forward to this week where I tried out a smaller phone for a day with a 5.2 inch screen and it felt tiny...yeah .5 inch screen difference was huge to me especially the keyboard size, I had to be more precise with my typing. I ditched the phone and went back to the note 4....for me personally I think a 5.5 is almost a perfect size, the first thing I check when purchasing pants now is whether or not the phone will fit

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
The prevalence of iPhone 4 & 5's tell me there's still a huge market for one handed devices.
Probably, business is business, however the preponderance of small Apple devices tells me otherwise. Knowing marketers also, they've reached the end of the line for size...only one way to go now to differentiate yourself.
You are assuming the reason for the phones you are seeing is because of screen size, ignoring other factors including the single most important factor in purchasing decisions: money.

The fact is, the 4s and 5s are cheaper. Right now you can get a 16GB 5s for $0 down, or a 32GB for $49. They don't do this to give customers a screen size choice, but because it is an established design that they already have parts in stock to assemble, and more can probably be manufactured relatively cheaply. For people who want an iPhone but have lower incomes, of course this is the route they would choose. It's what they can afford. In addition, not everyone can afford to upgrade their phone whenever they want. I know a lot of people carrying older phones (iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG Optimus G Pro) because they don't want to spend the money to upgrade. It isn't important to them and the phones they have work now.

Conversely, you can see Apple is even joining the trend of larger phones. Their smallest current generation phone has a 4.7 inch display. I would wager good money that if not the 7 series, then by the 8 series Apple will not sell a current generation phone smaller than 5 inches.

Differentiation will not come by screen size, but by design and features. Look at the Nextbit Robin. They are innovating in both areas.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
for me personally I think a 5.5 is almost a perfect size, the first thing I check when purchasing pants now is whether or not the phone will fit

First off, I own a Nexus 6 and love the thing's size. I got huge hands, so I can use it one handed most of the time. But it is still a huge phone and I recognize that the dimensions make it a tough one to use for a lot of people. That being said, when looking at screen size, overall size and in-hand feel.... nothing beats the G3/G4.... My wife has a G4 and that thing feels perfect in your hand.

I ALSO have the Moto E 2nd gen... For light duty work and nothing that requires more than a few letters being typed, that is a very easy phone to use. Would there be a market for a Moto E sized phone with Moto X sized specs? I, and the OEMs based on what is available, don't think so.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

But because you got used to it and actually liked it is the big differentiator. Me personally because I have smaller hands and my pockets are finite (physically). That would be to much of an adjustment for a gadget.

Posted via the Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
If I had to use a smaller phone, I would use a Moto e 2nd gen. In some ways it works the same or better than $600+ phones

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=4864911

Life is full of compromises, just pick what works best for you.

With regards to smartphones specifically, the larger size, I can use my note 5 one handed in when needed. It is not the best option but it works. Would I move to a smaller phone? No way. I love the real estate, plus smaller phones give me a head ache after long usage.

Phones are built for the masses, so they will build what the majority of people want. Unfortunately, some people will be left out. Just like a few years ago, 5"+ phones where extremely rare and there were people like myself wanting a large phone and not being able to get one.

The difference being there is still demand for smaller phones. They just need wider availability. The only popular device under 5 inches is still the iPhone and many still carry the 5s and earlier.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Ive had the note 4 since launch and I have gotten used to the screen size but find it annoying sometimes that it doesn't fit well in all pants pockets, fast forward to this week where I tried out a smaller phone for a day with a 5.2 inch screen and it felt tiny...yeah .5 inch screen difference was huge to me especially the keyboard size, I had to be more precise with my typing. I ditched the phone and went back to the note 4....for me personally I think a 5.5 is almost a perfect size, the first thing I check when purchasing pants now is whether or not the phone will fit

See, that is exactly what we shouldn't have to do. Why should have to make sure I buy pants that fit a phone? Does no else see how that is ridiculous?

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
You are assuming the reason for the phones you are seeing is because of screen size, ignoring other factors including the single most important factor in purchasing decisions: money.

Not dismissing it one bit, but judging the quantity of expensive flagship phones being sold, including a nicely sized 4.7 Apple, money is not an issue.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The difference being there is still demand for smaller phones. They just need wider availability. The only popular device under 5 inches is still the iPhone and many still carry the 5s and earlier.

Of course there is a demand... But it is a very small demand compared to phones 5" and above,which is what the majority of high end Android devices are.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Of course there is a demand... But it is a very small demand compared to phones 5" and above,which is what the majority of high end Android devices are.

No it isn't. It is the case of chicken or egg and when it was obviously the manufacturers who jumped into it first. Consumers bought into it so more phones were made larger and now we have what we have today.

People often forget the most popular phones are the entry level iPhones that are 4.7 and below. The 5S is still widely available. Even the 6/6S is a nice size.

The demand isn't small the Z5 Compact, the Oneplus X and the Nexus 5X even show that. But the issue is that manufacturers are conflating bigger with better making the bigger phones better than the smaller ones and thus making the larger devices more attractive to consumers. If the smaller devices had the same exact specs as the bigger ones or basically they're the same like the iPhones do, then we can honestly say people overwhelming prefer large devices but since the bigger devices in the Android world are usually or always better then we can not draw that conclusion.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
The demand isn't small the Z5 Compact, the Oneplus X and the Nexus 5X even show that.

The Z5 Compact isn't available on Verizon, and last time I checked it's difficult to get here in the states. I'd be all over it if it was available here. I don't think the OnePlus X is available on Verizon only. For both phones, that's a ton of sales that would really bolster demand for smaller devices.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The Z5 Compact isn't available on Verizon, and last time I checked it's difficult to get here in the states. I'd be all over it if it was available here. I don't think the OnePlus X is available on Verizon only. For both phones, that's a ton of sales that would really bolster demand for smaller devices.

I already addressed that, there are some decent smaller device but they have limited availability.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Nothing, big or small, is available from Sony for AT&T.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree, people accept it and their perception changed. I still think 5 inches pushes it personally. My phone uses a 4.5 screen and this seems like my limit. But nothing in this range is high end and Verizon. The closest is the 5S but that is getting old now.

People often forget the most popular phones are the entry level iPhones that are 4.7 and below. The 5S is still widely available. Even the 6/6S is a nice size.

The demand isn't small the Z5 Compact, the Oneplus X and the Nexus 5X even show that.

I am confused... You say 4.5" is your limit, then you say that the 6/6s at 4.7" is a nice size?

Then you mention the OnePlus x and 5x,both of which are 5" and up? Even the z5c exceeds your 4.5" limit...

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am confused... You say 4.5" is your limit, then you say that the 6/6s at 4.7" is a nice size?

Then you mention the OnePlus x and 5x,both of which are 5" and up? Even the z5c exceeds your 4.5" limit...

I am taking about overall size. Not just display. I thought that would be obvious. I have a phone with a 4.5 display. So I'm still standing by my original statement but compared to the abundance of phablets, those devices I listed are definitely a "nicer" size.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo