Becoming tired of big Android phones

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I picked up a LG G4 6 months ago which I like but knew it was beyond my size preference. I kept an open mind for a long time because bigger phones are trending and also because there isn't many (any) in the 4.7-5" range, at least not flagship quality or available on Verizon (like the Z5 Compact).

I convinced myself that the new size was fine but after 6 months I'm tired of it, it doesn't pocket as well, one handed use is clumsy at best, and generally gets in the way.

Right now the only "small" flagship phones out there are the Z5 Compact which I can't get or Apple products like the iPhone 5s. I really don't want to jump to iPhone, the interest isn't there, but I love the size.

I see so many iPhone 5s's out there it's incredible, you can't tell me there isn't a market for on handed phones anymore...is there any hope of Android manufacturers making a quality small phone again or am I doomed with Android?

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a LG G4 6 months ago which I like but knew it was beyond my size preference. I kept an open mind for a long time because bigger phones are trending and also because there isn't many (any) in the 4.7-5" range, at least not flagship quality or available on Verizon (like the Z5 Compact).

I convinced myself that the new size was fine but after 6 months I'm tired of it, it doesn't pocket as well, one handed use is clumsy at best, and generally gets in the way.

Right now the only "small" flagship phones out there are the Z5 Compact which I can't get or Apple products like the iPhone 5s. I really don't want to jump to iPhone, the interest isn't there, but I love the size.

I see so many iPhone 5s's out there it's incredible, you can't tell me there isn't a market for on handed phones anymore...is there any hope of Android manufacturers making a quality small phone again or am I doomed with Android?

I really don't understand the point of this post. This is not to be rude but what was the point of mentioning apple when they have large devices as well not to mention the iPhone 5s you mentioned is like 2 to 3 years old? If you desire a smaller phone, just go get it. In case you have notice apple last two device are bigger because Android was giving the consumers what they wanted and so they follow suit. With Android you have plenty of choices for a smaller device so I fine it hard to believe you could not find a smaller phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
My iPhones 4s and 5s are wonderful to hold and use, and it would be good to be able to buy an Android equivalent of comparable updated spec and quality. As things are, the choice is very small, as you say. My Androids are medium to large....wonderful devices, but there are times when you want to use small for a while. Ahem Google, how about a Nexus Mini with a 4" display? :)

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
With Android you have plenty of choices for a smaller device so I fine it hard to believe you could not find a smaller phone.

There's 1 flagship phone that's "small"...the Z5 Compact. Not available on Verizon.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I really don't understand the point of this post. This is not to be rude but what was the point of mentioning apple when they have large devices as well not to mention the iPhone 5s you mentioned is like 2 to 3 years old? If you desire a smaller phone, just go get it. In case you have notice apple last two device are bigger because Android was giving the consumers what they wanted and so they follow suit. With Android you have plenty of choices for a smaller device so I fine it hard to believe you could not find a smaller phone.

I believe he was referring to the lack of choice in the flagship market.

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I believe he was referring to the lack of choice in the flagship market.

Flagship is nothing more than a catch phrase. Plenty of phones are available that perform good that don't cost $600-700 dollars.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I still use my 5S and Nexus 4 simply because I can use them with one hand while I am ay my job. Sure they are a few years old now but they are still just as fast and capable as todays phones.

As for my bigger phones, iPhone 6+/Note4/Note Edge, I still use them everyday but mostly at home. I hope there will always be a 4" phone available in the future.

It's rumored that Apple will be releasing a small screened phone early in 2016.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I remember when Samsung came out with their 5" iPod type music player. I knew a huge phone would follow.

The og Note was just ridiculous to me when launched.

As I sit here reflecting and typing on my 5.7" Pure I laugh to myself...

I love the size

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Samsung Galaxy S6 is smaller than what you have right now. So is the newest HTC One.

wlmsn

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Honestly it's what is keeping me from jumping from iOS to Android. I'm definitely intrigued with Android but I don't want a monster phone. The S6 is a great size but the battery would annoy me and everything else with a good camera is at least 5.5"+

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I can't handle big phones either. My definition of too big is any phone more than 125mm in height.
Even the so called compact phones like Z3,Z5 Compacts are above 125mm.
I can just barely handle my current phone Moto E which is 124.8mm.
My previous phone Lumia 520 was perfect size of 120mm.
Its impossible to find any phone with decent specs that's less than 125mm.
Not the Xperia compacts, not the Moto G, nothing is available today in small size. Even the entry level phones of today have big *** 4.7-5 inch screen sizes and above 130mm. There are zero options for 4-4.3 inch sizes. It really sucks how the market trend have moved to big phones with poor battery life and super thin bodies.I want a small phone with good battery life and thick body(yes i like thick rather than slim phones. Provides better grip). I'm the complete opposite of what the market wants. Am i the only one?

Vizi

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I was just saying the same thing as the op. I had the HTC One M7 and I still think that is the perfect size phone. But then I went on to buy the Moto X 2014. I got used to the size of that phone, but, never fell in love with it. To be blunt, the camera sucked. Then the update to the Moto X grew even larger! Now, all of the phones with the specs that I want are massive. Nexus 6p, Note 5, Moto X, all yuge(Trump). So I said, "If you can't beat em, go big", or something like that. I picked up the LG V10. Been using it for 2 weeks now and I've gotten used to it. I still think the HTC One is the sweet spot. All that to say, I So agree with the OP. If the Nexus 6p was the size of the Nexus 5x I would have picked it up in a heartbeat. So, instead I just bought the beautiful tank that is the LG V10. Btw.....it's a fantastic phone.

mj0

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Am i the only one?

Absolutely not. I'm in the same boat and hate the fact that phones seem to be getting bigger and bigger each year. However, after having fought this for the last two years I gave up and got myself an iPhone 6 Plus recently (for various reasons that are irrelevant here I prefer iOS to Android). My wife also prefers smaller phones and kept using her iPhone 5 for as long as possible but recently also upgraded to a 6s on launch day. She got used to the size after a few days and doesn't want to go back. I use her 6s occasionally and still find it a tad too large, which is obviously also true for my 6 Plus (although the "a tad" part of that statement may have to be replaced with "significantly"). Even after more than two months I find the overall experience frustrating.

I still have an old iPhone 4s as well and find myself taking it out more frequently now. It's amazing - I can't feel it in my pocket, I can comfortably sit down without taking it out of my pocket and the size is just perfect. However, given that it's a four year old device (!) it's gotten a bit slow now (although I must say that iOS 9.1 certainly improved performance drastically over 9.0 and 8.4) and most apps nowadays are optimized for the iPhone 6(s)/6(s)+ 4.7" and 5.5" screens. That doesn't mean they won't work on a 3.5" iPhone 4s or a 4" iPhone 5s but developers simply don't pay attention to these small screens anymore which may result in hidden or shifted UI elements or information not displaying properly.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I had the HTC One M7 and I still think that is the perfect size phone.

I think that remains the "comfortable" benchmark. I remain hopeful that someday one of these manufacturers will tap into the smaller phone market and think they'll be surprised at the popularity of it.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I went from a note 2 which was great for navigation to a Droid turbo v1. I actually don't mind the smaller screen. Friends w iPhones always took shots at me for the note 2 size and now they own the 6+....

Flagship IMHO is tossed around too much around here. What exactly makes a phone a flagship? High end specs? Just a few bells and whistles? Android always has an identity problem because while I love choice, sometimes there is too much choice.

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I went from a note 2 which was great for navigation to a Droid turbo v1. I actually don't mind the smaller screen. Friends w iPhones always took shots at me for the note 2 size and now they own the 6+....

Flagship IMHO is tossed around too much around here. What exactly makes a phone a flagship? High end specs? Just a few bells and whistles? Android always has an identity problem because while I love choice, sometimes there is too much choice.

The term "flagship" to me implies both performance and longevity. You're right though, the credentials for "flagship" are not exactly tangible. Yet with any manufacturer, you can usually figure out the flagship.

Samsung - the Galaxy S# series (Honorable Mention: Note Series)
LG - the G# series
HTC - The One M# series
Motorola - Moto X
Google - Nexus 6P
Apple - iPhone 6S (Honorable Mention: 6S+)

Upon further review, my thought is that longevity is more important than anything. The flagship is the long running marquee device for each brand.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
This thread personally speaks to me , I am still using am LG Lancet on Verizon because I just can't stand bigger phones. It perplexed me how we don't even have a choice really. It is either go big for good or go small and terrible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38