Should I wipe the cache partition after every security update? And will it change ANY settings?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm newer to the modern android OS (running 6.0 and will probably upgrade to 7 when it comes out for my phone), and it seems pretty common for folks to recommend a frequent cache partition wipe to keep the phones running well. I've just been updating the stock apps and one security update since I bought the phone new. I now have a second security update waiting to be installed. I've held off on installing it until I can find the best way to do it. I've found that android 6.0 seems pretty easy to break, and now that I've got it working reasonably well I'd like to avoid any more problems. I've read of folks having issues after a security update,

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly welcomed. Thanks in advance :D :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wiping the cache should not change any settings or affect any user data (although I have seen a couple of posts where users swore that there settings were reset after a cache wipe -- this has never happened to me).

But in general, I don't feel that a cache wipe is necessary after every single system update. I only do it if the device seems to be acting up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty