Maybe crossing the fence and jumping into the iPasture.

muckle_dabuckle

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
You mean to make it work? Or to (eventually) break it? You don't have to mash on it to activate.

To make it work. Sounds like the floor model I was using wasn't a good representation then. Good to know.

Eh *shrug*. I almost had to do the same when I briefly considered a Nexus 5.

Yeah, suppose it's not much different than buying USB C cables when I got my V20. But at least I can use those in a lot more situations.

I don't know as "happy" defines it, exactly. "Satisfied" would be closer, sometimes verging on "pleased." It almost doesn't matter.

Good to hear. That will probably be my reaction too. I feel like I'll be better off approaching ios as if I've never used a smartphone before.

Seems like more people and tech journalists are getting loud about the security update issues with Android. We'll see if anything comes of it.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Seems like more people and tech journalists are getting loud about the security update issues with Android. We'll see if anything comes of it.
I don't think it's fixable. At least not in our lifetimes. They have agreements with the manufacturers and, they, in turn, with the carriers. Of course neither I nor anybody but the parties involved know what's in those agreements, but, making a changes significant enough to resolve Android's many security issues I think is not real likely anytime soon--if ever.

I suspect Google's solution to the problem is called "Fuchsia"

muckle_dabuckle

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
If you use a 3rd party keyboard in iOS does it automatically switch back to stock for secure inputs like passwords? Or is it up to the app developer to provide full compatibility to 3rd party keyboards and if they don't it automatically goes back to stock?

I don't think it's fixable. At least not in our lifetimes. They have agreements with the manufacturers and, they, in turn, with the carriers. Of course neither I nor anybody but the parties involved know what's in those agreements, but, making a changes significant enough to resolve Android's many security issues I think is not real likely anytime soon--if ever.

Hopefully you're wrong because I love Android. It won't kill me to switch to Apple a few years and then see where Android is.

How is Blackberry able to provide monthly security updates to most of their phones?

I suspect Google's solution to the problem is called "Fuchsia"

Just heard about that a few days ago. I'll definitely keep on eye on its progress.

Last edited:

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Honestly I keep flip flopping on this one and whilst I'd consider myself an iPerson mostly I have switched back and forth frequently over recent years. I'm lucky to have an S8+ and IP7+ and whilst I like a lot about android I find myself drawn to iOS.

I like the customisable nature, having a file browser, enjoy having the blackberry hub and just love the screen. Those bezels on the 7+ just scream 'look at me I'm not the screen' in comparison to the S8+. The S7E and now the S8 are the first android devices that (imo) surpass Apple's hardware too.

For iPhone though as others have mentioned I have more confidence in security, know I'll get updates immediately and for real world every day use the battery life on the 7+ is better than any droid I've used by a noticeable margin. Also 3rd party apps are mostly slicker and the dual lens camera is a really nice feature too. Lastly if I have problem with my idevice I can just make a genius appointment and have it sorted (usually same day).

I switched my sim back to the 7+ earlier today funnily enough, already missing that screen but enjoying it otherwise. Yes I do know I have a problem!

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
If you use a 3rd party keyboard in iOS does it automatically switch back to stock for secure inputs like passwords?
I do not know. I'm using Gboard (the only Google thing I'm using, any more) and have the "communicate with the mothership" option (aka: "full access") turned off.

Good question, though. I've been meaning to look into that. I do know that Apple has their API locked-down a lot more tightly than Google. Perhaps the security is baked-in, so preempting the 3rd party keyboard isn't necessary?

So I looked into it. Yes: When typing into password fields iOS forces the keyboard back to the native one.

Hopefully you're wrong because I love Android.
There are up to four entities involved in many updates: Driver manufacturers, Google, device manufacturers and wireless carrier. You can easily eliminate one by going unlocked. You can mitigate the other by going with somebody who provides a (nearly) native Android and promises to deliver updates in a timely manner. Two cannot be eliminated. Apple handles this by controlling it all.

How is Blackberry able to provide monthly security updates to most of their phones?
Save the Android OS, itself, they control everything, like Apple does?

Last edited:

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
For iPhone though as others have mentioned I have more confidence in security, know I'll get updates immediately ...
That's the bottom line, for me. If I cannot trust the device's security, all the bells and whistles on the planet are meaningless. And I do not trust Android security any more :(

I'll be putting credit cards in my Apple Wallet, later today. Something I would never have dreamed of doing on any of my Android devices. (It helps that I understand the mechanics of Apple Pay and believe that is a solidly secure mechanism.)

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
So are there any specific new concerns re Android and security?

Whilst I absolutely trust iOS more for obvious reasons I have never been overly nervous of putting my card details into android pay for example or using banking apps, maybe I should be?

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Whilst I absolutely trust iOS more for obvious reasons I have never been overly nervous of putting my card details into android pay for example or using banking apps, maybe I should be?

I don't have any reservations either, the few apps I have are from Google Play, I don't really do many emails on the phone, that's a laptop function for me. I don't surf around screwy sites...just not that worried.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Not so much new concerns as concerns I've had all along finally brought home. I've never trusted Android security very much, but, between using a distribution from a trusted American company, that was fairly vanilla and got regular updates, and sticking to the Play Store, I figured I was "relatively" safe. Well, Motorola Mobility is now a Chinese company; they aren't and won't be issuing regular, or any, updates, and the Play Store has proven to be unsafe. So I"m outta here.

For the record: I never trusted Android far enough I'd put card data on it. My wife was astonished when I briefly decided to trust it far enough to put our retirement plan app on it. (Very briefly. I quickly decided that as not a good idea.)

A couple more iThing annoyances, after the phone's first extended field trip...

It certainly grabbed T-Mobile's new Band 12 Extended Range LTE Network well enough, but, it was slow to switch to roaming when TMO was unavailable, slow to switch back to TMO when it was available, and slow to acquire either after losing service. (Compared to my wife's Moto G 3rd Gen.) Other than that it appeared to perform about as well as the Moto G. Oh, a positive: Roaming data has always been hit-or-miss, more miss than hit, with our Moto Gs. It worked more hit than miss with the iPhone.

Bluetooth and sound. Good grief, Apple, what's up with that? Run navigation, either Apple Maps or a third-party app (Here, in my case) with a Bluetooth speakerphone and, not only do turn-by-turn directions not go to the speakerphone, but, go away entirely.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I'm not worried at all about security with regards to Android. But it's always better to be safe than sorry! :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not worried at all about security with regards to Android. But it's always better to be safe than sorry! :)
Depending on which device you buy, Android is more secure than iOS. Pixel, Nexus, Blackberry branded devices, erx are quite far ahead on security.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Number one thing Samsung took away that I miss is the option to increase screen sensitivity for use with gloves, the Note 3 and 4 had it. I live in MN and it was one of the best features ever on a phone.

I've used Samsung since 2012 and I miss these as well.
Removable battery
Expandable storage(they brought it back)
IR Blaster
Physical home button
Flat screens
Durable phone build(glass back is FRAGILE)
Software features like pulling a still frame from a video
OK Google voice detection with screen off (they force S Voice)
They eliminated some of the air gestures

I think people get the point. A bunch of the "useless gimmicks and bloat" as many people called it, got removed. I miss some of it, but I still prefer Samsung over the competition and Android over iOS.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
This will be my last post to this thread, and, likely, to AC-at least for a while. (Tho, at this point, I think it unlikely I'll ever come back to Android.) I've made my decision. Good luck, y'all, and thanks for the conversation.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This will be my last post to this thread, and, likely, to AC-at least for a while. (Tho, at this point, I think it unlikely I'll ever come back to Android.) I've made my decision. Good luck, y'all, and thanks for the conversation.
Have a good one :).

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I just don't get it.

Picked up my brother-in-law's iPhone and played with it for a while, still don't get what the fuss is all about.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Because they work, get quick consistent updates, get supported for over twice as long as Android flagships, and they have great battery life.

Did I mention they hold their value ten times better than their Android equivalent? Lol..... I know, I've been looking to pick up one with equivalent screen size to my MXPE and even used the prices are steep =-O

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Eh...my Android works...they always have, updates...slow but I've never had a problem, my battery gives me 30-35% after a good day of use (LG/Samsung) unless I get the rogue app churning through my power, doesn't happen often but sucks when it does. Don't much care about value, my phones are pretty much target practice after a couple of years.

iPhones are just so locked down to me.

muckle_dabuckle

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I was going to pick up a 7 Plus after work today, but this morning my V20 got the May security patch. Maybe Google IS spying on me. LOL I already ordered the case and screen protectors. Now I have a decision to make. Realistically the May patch is just a temporary fix and the V20 probably won't see another security update until December or something.

I used to be a spec snob and made fun of Apple and people who owned Apple products, but I feel the 7 Plus is comparable to any Android flagship on paper and I finally realized specs aren't everything.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I feel that my S8 will get progressively worse as time moves on. Not because of the famous samsung slow down but mostly because I know it will probably be stuck on Nougat 7.0 for a while and won't see Android O until Spring 2018.

My 7+ though will be on iOS11 on day one so will almost feel like a new phone when that happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez