#10YearSmartphoneChallenge

blak8830

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
It's ok. Mostly bought it due to price at the time my Honor 5X was getting really flakey.
Motorola isn't terrific about keeping their phones up to date.
Wish the software was 64 bit instead of 32 bit. - I think it would perform a little better.
I do like that it's "universal" - will work on pretty much any carrier's network.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's ok. Mostly bought it due to price at the time my Honor 5X was getting really flakey.
Motorola isn't terrific about keeping their phones up to date.
Wish the software was 64 bit instead of 32 bit. - I think it would perform a little better.
I do like that it's "universal" - will work on pretty much any carrier's network.

That's too bad about the lack of consistent updates! I feel like I have heard that about Moto. But their universality is quite good!

Mr Smitzy

Jan 16, 2019
Visit site
I was on the Nokia 3110 Classic. It was my first phone ever and a gift from my parents.
Nokia-3110-classic.jpg
This one went through a lot before it gave up. I remember watching full 2 hour movies in "3gp" video format (on the 2 inch screen), before I gave up on it. Had to reinstall clean software multiple times just to get it working properly.
Currently on the Moto G4 Plus. And planning to change it in the near future.
517201670004PM_635_moto_g4_plus.jpeg

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I was on the Nokia 3110 Classic. It was my first phone ever and a gift from my parents.
View attachment 298027
This one went through a lot before it gave up. I remember watching full 2 hour movies in "3gp" video format (on the 2 inch screen), before I gave up on it. Had to reinstall clean software multiple times just to get it working properly.
View attachment 298028

Wow, you watched movies on it! That's pretty awesome!

Mr Smitzy

Jan 16, 2019
Visit site
Wow, you watched movies on it! That's pretty awesome!

I was in senior year at the time, with no availability of cinematic options. We relied on questionable sources for those, which were... questionable.
So, when you got a movie in the appropriate format, you had to see it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I was in senior year at the time, with no availability of cinematic options. We relied on questionable sources for those, which were... questionable.
So, when you got a movie in the appropriate format, you had to see it.

"Which were... Questionable." So funny! But I definitely get what you're saying!

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 298027
View attachment 298028
I used to do the same in high school on my Nokia N80 and it's 2.1inch display, lol. Luckily the N80 was a Symbian smartphone so I would get .avi or .mp4 movies and use DivX Player to watch them, so they were usually decent quality for the time e.g. CIF or VGA resolution. Can't believe we watched movies on those tiny displays

Mr Smitzy

Jan 16, 2019
Visit site
I used to do the same in high school on my Nokia N80 and it's 2.1inch display, lol. Luckily the N80 was a Symbian smartphone so I would get .avi or .mp4 movies and use DivX Player to watch them, so they were usually decent quality for the time e.g. CIF or VGA resolution. Can't believe we watched movies on those tiny displays

While I was on the 3310, one of my classmates at the time had the N80. I remember he had Worms-Fort on the phone. That phone became kind of a hot property in our year. Somebody or the other was always playing the game on his phone.
When I turned to Android, I looked for that game, but couldn't find a similar version. There were other options, but the game play felt weird compared to the N80.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I have my old Nokia N95 slide phone and it was a great phone! Good camera, FM radio, it does most things my S8 does without fuss.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
While I was on the 3310, one of my classmates at the time had the N80. I remember he had Worms-Fort on the phone. That phone became kind of a hot property in our year. Somebody or the other was always playing the game on his phone.
When I turned to Android, I looked for that game, but couldn't find a similar version. There were other options, but the game play felt weird compared to the N80.

I love these nostalgia stories!

AKS4

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
In 2009 I was rocking my first smart phone, the iPhone 3G.
apple-iphone-3gs.jpg

Now I am enjoying my 2nd Android device, the OnePlus 6T.
oneplus6t-1024x768-1-1024x768.jpg