Asus vs Xiaomi for software/security updates?

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. Hope you all are having a great start to your weekend. I had a question because I'm in a toss-up on 2 phones for my next pick and they both are very similar. ASUS ZenFone 6 & Xiaomi Mi 9t PRO.

Since there is a lot of similarities, I Wanted to know about the 2 companies updates on Security and also software. Which is better, which is worse, ect.

I really appreciate ANY help so I know which to really be my next choice once both are truly available here in the United States.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The only one I can tell you about, and the one I'd choose if security updates were uppermost in my mind, would be any Pixel. The updates come out on the first Monday of every month. Also a good antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and safe surfing techniques (which includes Bluetooth and your SIM card).

Many companies are given the updates about a month before Google releases them to users, so that the companies can modify them to install on their devices and still release them at the beginning of the following month, but that doesn't mean that the users get them at the same time as Google users do. (And waiting for the normal OTA update can mean a month's delay after the company releases it - OTA updates are staged. Being able to download the update and install it yourself - as you can do with Google's phones - means that you actually get the update at the beginning of the month. I'm sometimes busy and don't install it until late Monday or even Tuesday, but that's on me, not on Google.)

ASUS? I've had dealings with the company. They don't seem to take the "service" part of customer service seriously. (Google definitely does - I think their script reads "if it sounds legitimate, offer to replace the phone". They've actually sent me replacements for problems I finally managed to fix myself [and as a retired engineer who used to design electronic communications devices, I don't call them with the easy problems] and told me to just refuse the replacement [which they're paying round trip shipping for). ASUS? I had a desktop of theirs that had an ISA drive port - but it didn't work. When I called and asked about getting a replacement, I was told that the user isn't supposed to open the case. Really? Was I speaking to customer service, or the office maintenance service?

Xiaomi I have no experience with.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I love Google. Used to get every Nexus phone possible lol. Just haven't gotten a Pixel but I'm okay with that. I know other companies are never the same with updates. But just out of the 2, which are usually better about it and of course like you said, customer service as well. I've never dealt with either of these companies yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've dealt with ASUS. let's just say that they ot the "customer" part okay, but they haven't translated "service" into Chinese yet. "Customer Don't Bother Contacting Us" is more like what they do. Updates? Probably one or two for flagships, none for cheaper phones. (And security patches, maybe a few times a year [even though Google releases them every month, and to the manufacturers a moth before they release them to us].)

Xiaomi? No experience at all. OnePlus, also Chinese, updates fairly regularly.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I've dealt with ASUS. let's just say that they ot the "customer" part okay, but they haven't translated "service" into Chinese yet. "Customer Don't Bother Contacting Us" is more like what they do. Updates? Probably one or two for flagships, none for cheaper phones. (And security patches, maybe a few times a year [even though Google releases them every month, and to the manufacturers a moth before they release them to us].)

Xiaomi? No experience at all. OnePlus, also Chinese, updates fairly regularly.

Never had a direct call with Xiaomi customer service but I would think that it’s decent...at worst better than ASUS (bad customer service has nothing to do with them being a Chinese company).

MIUI is often heavily influenced by customer requests on Xiaomi’s official forums, so hopefully their ‘listen to customer feedback’ software approach is similar when it comes to hardware issues.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Never had a direct call with Xiaomi customer service but I would think that it’s decent...at worst better than ASUS (bad customer service has nothing to do with them being a Chinese company).

MIUI is often heavily influenced by customer requests on Xiaomi’s official forums, so hopefully their ‘listen to customer feedback’ software approach is similar when it comes to hardware issues.
I went with the Xiaomi Mi 9T. Get it tomorrow. Too many pros with it and the battery is incredible in all endurance tests.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I went with the Xiaomi Mi 9T. Get it tomorrow. Too many pros with it and the battery is incredible in all endurance tests.

I’m considering getting the Mi 9T but am put off for a variety of reasons:

1. It’s quite thick and heavy for a phone
2. The pop-up design seems doomed to fail/break knowing my use of phones
3. It’s quite big...might be too hard to hold
4. It’s not available in the UK

I might eventually settle for the Mi 9 SE...slightly worse processor and battery, but smaller, sharper AMOLED screen and an arguably better camera.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty