Simplink

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else having trouble with the cec functionality of the chromecast when using it with an lg tv? I have mine plugged in through the AC adapter and have enabled"simplink" on my lg TV but the inputs don't switch over when I cast things from my various devices.

Posted via Android Central App

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm glad it's not just me. I wonder if there is a setting we are missing or if lg TVs just don't allow us to utilize that functionality.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Not sure, I have a Panasonic bluray player with CEC functionality and I know when I power that on the TV will turn-on and switch to that input automatically. I still have to dig into the settings more and see if there is something I missed.

NORCALkID

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 LG tvs in my house and on the 55 inch it works perfect and on the 47 in inch it does not work :(.

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I've come to the conclusion that simplink simply stinks. It doesn't recognize my chromecast and conflicts with my harmony remote when I turn on my lg DVD player.

In a perfect world my chromecast should simplink to my TV and I should be able to turn off the cec functionality of my dvd player. Ugh

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
As a final update (in case this helps anyone): Once you enable Simplink you are given several macros to control; TV, Disc, VCR, and HDD Recorder. Through a long weekend of trial and error I figured out that if the Disc macro is associated with my LG DVD player then the Chromecast's CEC functionality will not work. It appears that the Chromecast wants to use the Disc Macro but can't because the LG DVD player has occupied it. I had to disconnect my DVD player, turn off Simplink, factory reset my Chromecast (unsure if this was needed), then turn Simplink back on. After all of this, the Chromecast associated itself with the Disc Macro and its CEC functionality finally worked!

PS. I ordered one of these and will use it to keep my LG DVD player from Simplinking with TV.

Amazon.com: HDMI CEC Less Adapter, Female to Male: Electronics

smallfrys

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey, thanks for your post. I was having difficulty with my LG 60PA6550 and definitely appreciated the updates. Other people with LG TVs seem to be having similar problems.

Unfortunately, the menu with the Disc, VCR, HDD Recorder, etc, is grayed out when I press the SimpLink button. Looks like Chromecast isn't supported on my TV. After a number of resets, I was able to get it to turn the TV on. So if I leave it on the right input before turning off the TV, it starts playing immediately. However, we do use the other inputs, so that's a pain. If they get Plex support, we could use Chromecast instead of the WD TV Live, so that would mean it would usually be on the right input. Only other thing is Live TV from an antenna, which we rarely watch.

I've included extra detail since I've read that CEC can be very setup-specific. Maybe it's something specific to my setup. I did try without the WD TV Live, to no avail, but I never disconnected the antenna.

I'm not that hopeful that Google will fix this, as it seems like CEC isn't very well implemented or supported by the TV manufacturers, and it would probably be a nightmare to ensure compatibility for all the different models :(