Got Slingbox to cast with Chromecast

Scutley

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

So i just got the chromecast, because I would like to watch the slingbox on my tv via my computer. my tv is too new and doesnt have a vga connector, and my computer doesnt have a hdmi port, so i thought i would try this chromecast. that being said...I tried your directions of using the facebook app and i get this message "unable to connect to the slingbox. please check that your slingbox is on and is connected to the network." But the thing is...when i go to slingbox.com site, it works just fine. my hands are tied. I have the slingbox solo by the way too.

please help! Im lost!

Thanks,
SM
Uh the only thing I suggest is maybe hitting the reset button and it will reset the box and re-connect to the internet.

Also you can try re setting it up. Hit the reset button and hold it down for 30-40 seconds and then let go. Wait until it resets and you can go to the Slingbox website (if you have an older version) and re-configure it.

That's all I can say. It should work. I know sometimes I have to do that because the Slingbox will work with the website but not my phone. Then I hit the reset button (doing a regular reset) and it worked fine on both.

Scutley

May 17, 2013
Visit site
"So what you do is from your Google Chrome Web Browser you go to the Facebook app version of slingbox"

Slingplayer extension not supported on Google chrome 64 bit, I can not log in via facebook OR the sling website. I can log in on both with Firefox, is there a way to cast from Firefox?

Uh I'm aware of a Google Chrome 64 bit version, but I know there is a Windows 8 version and a standalone version of Chrome. You might want to try the standalone version of Chrome. Go to your settings and there should be something like relaunch Chrome in standalone version or something like that.

Scutley

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I use to have the old Slingbox (still do) Actually going to use the old Slingbox and the Slingbox 500 in two weeks for March Madness.

To me Slingbox 500 is a lot better. Better connections, easier to set up, the quality seems better. If you have the money I suggest it but its really up to you. If you do presentations or something you can plug you USB in the device and it will sow right on your TV.

glick627041

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the Android Tablet app for SlingPlayer. Do you know of anyone I could use their account for watching. I would be glad to pay I just can't find anyone who uses their sling box anymore.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the Android Tablet app for SlingPlayer. Do you know of anyone I could use their account for watching. I would be glad to pay I just can't find anyone who uses their sling box anymore.
You need the actual slingbox connected to your video receiver. Only one channel may be viewed at a time per video receiver. Did you actually have someone share his slingbox with you? If you know someone who doesn't use their slingbox any longer, maybe you can get it. However, you have to have video reception and internet connected to the box at your home.

Martin Wills1

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
I recently bought a slingbox solo and attempted to chromecast from a windows PC (running 8.1 but using desktop mode) using chrome browser tab, and it did not work (casting the tab). I was about to try facebook solution when I had a thought,

I put the chromecast option on the browser into full screen (experimental mode) and it asked to share the screen/audio - clicked yes. To my surprise, I was now casting my sling box onto my TV. No need for facebook etc.

calail

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I put the chromecast option on the browser into full screen (experimental mode) and it asked to share the screen/audio - clicked yes. To my surprise, I was now casting my sling box onto my TV. No need for facebook etc.
Original post: Trying to get this working on my Tab 4... Not sure I follow what you mean by "put the Chromecast option on the browser into full screen". I'm not a tech *****, but I guess I am when it comes to Chromecast :) Can you give me more specific directions?

So, I figured out that you meant the Chromecast extension in the Chrome web browser (for PC). I really am looking for an option specific to tablets, which is probably outside the scope of the OPs post... I'll start a new thread. If anyone has any quick tips, they'd be GREATLY appreciated :)

Last edited:

Richard Lane1

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Worked fine for months. Now getting a message that says, "Your slingbox can be located. Go to Setup on slingbox.com to get started." This through the facebook interface.

Any ideas why the facebook interface isn't working anymore?

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a Slingbox Solo that still works in Texas in the US. See the chart pictured, depends on what model you have as far as compatibility.
Slingbox.com   Which SlingPlayer software works with my Slingbox .png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress