WiFi Hotspot (AT&T)

aviduser

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
So I like having this functionality on my N1. I do not use it very often--in fact, I only use it very rarely. But I like to have it as a fall back when I need it.

Lately, I have not been able to connect at all. I will have 4 bars of cellular signal on the N1, and connect via WiFi with my MacBook, but I cannot get any actual throughput to the Internet.

Any idea what gives? I know AT&T was "cracking down" on tethering without adding it to the plan. I use it so little, though, I never got any notices. Is it possible that AT&T is blocking this function even on an unlocked phone?

Or is something else going on?

Thanks,

aviduser

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Works for me on ATT. I am a rare hotspot user, but do it more now with a tablet when I am out. I have noticed that at my office general cellular signal quality has degraded significantly. About 8 months ago it went from normal lousy to pretty good, but past couple months it seems to be poor again. Maybe started with 2.3.4? Anyway, hotspot seems to have great performance for me. I run stock OS.

kennie#AC

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Are you connecting to the Internet via wifi through your macbook or are you connected via 3G from AT&T?

Check if wifi settings if you are able to obtain a valid ip address. Were you able to surf the Internet using the same setup previously?

aviduser

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
It seems that AT&T was blocking tethering on my phone. I changed data plans today from unlimited ($30) to 4 gb with tethering ($45). I looked back at my bills and never really exceeded 4 gb. Plus, the "unlimited" plan is not really unlimited anymore, since they will throttle you if you use too much.

BS for sure. But I wanted the ability to use my N1 as a WiFi hotspot.

avid