AT&T and the Nexus One

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand how the N1 works with AT&T. I use a Bold 9700 on AT&T, if I got a N1, do I just pop in the Bold sims card and off I go or do I have to call AT&T and have them set something up. Also if or when AT&T gets the N1 would my N1 begin using 3G?

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
You should be ok with the data plan but since it is a Blackberry plan you may have to change it. I know with my iPhone I could just swap sims and I would be good to go. And no you will never get AT&T 3G with the unlocked N1 as it does not support AT&T's 3G band.

ILoveBlythe

Dec 14, 2009
www.fhtmus.com
You will be fine with your BB plan. I have mine running on my BB plan on T-Mobile. Everyone is telling people they need to switch to the android plan on T-Mobile and this is just not true. Like Jeremy said you will never get 3G. What i think is funny is that on my iPhone it auto corrects for "ATT" . On the nexus it does it for Verizon and T-Mobile. < that's the auto correction. I just find it humorous that of the major carriers att isn't in the dictionary.

hawonjung

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm using my N1 with AT&T without any problem. I had. BB plan and as soon as I pit mu similar card in it, it worked right away.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I swapped a Bold 9000 sim into my Nexus and it works great. You won't get your @att.blackberry emails anymore but that's what GMAIL, etc.., is for.

Don't worry, you will not regret the move from Blackberry to Nexus. Just order the Nexus and remove the sim from you Bold and put it in the Nexus and you are off and running.

Plus, you can always pop the sim back into your Bold at anytime to retrieve your @att.blackberry emails. :) I checked mine last night and I had 62 waiting for me.

Last edited:

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Never owned a BB, but would suppose you can forward

all emails to another provider, google, or other pop acct.
ADS

I swapped a Bold 9000 sim into my Nexus and it works great. You won't get your @att.blackberry emails anymore but that's what GMAIL, etc.., is for.

Don't worry, you will not regret the move from Blackberry to Nexus. Just order the Nexus and remove the sim from you Bold and put it in the Nexus and you are off and running.

Plus, you can always pop the sim back into your Bold at anytime to retrieve your @att.blackberry emails. :) I checked mine last night and I had 62 waiting for me.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
all emails to another provider, google, or other pop acct.
ADS
No, the only solution is to migrate to gmail, etc..

You can only get your @att.blackberry email on your Blackberry device. Unless of course you change Blackberries and go into your BIS account and change the PIN to the new BB. To a BB user, the @att.blackberry email is the holy of holies. You only give that out to trusted sources as it is specific to your BB. Now, the great thing about BB's and BIS is that you can easily add othr email accounts to your device. @yahoo, @gmail, etc.., those are the addresses you give out to anyone.

Last edited:

miketlo

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
oh plus i called at&t and switched my data plan to $15. ($10 if you are on family plan)

did you call them with the N1 and give them the N1 IMEI? or did you use a dumbphone to do it? im currently on a BB plan and if im not getting 3G i want to try switch the that data plan!

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
did you call them with the N1 and give them the N1 IMEI? or did you use a dumbphone to do it? im currently on a BB plan and if im not getting 3G i want to try switch the that data plan!

You will never get 3G with a TMobile Nexus one... Even If you bought an unlocked one... Its not made to operate on a ATT 3G band...

anon(6936)

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
How is the speed of the N1 w/o 3G? I too am considering getting one to use with my BB9700.

good enough for live traffic updates and navigation while driving. Emails are just as quick, web browser and twitter, etc are where you'll notice a slowdown but still very useable. Actually compared to how slow Blackberry browsers render things, you may not notice it as much as if you were coming from an iPHone. Still - very useable and you can keep your AT&T account.

miketlo

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
good enough for live traffic updates and navigation while driving. Emails are just as quick, web browser and twitter, etc are where you'll notice a slowdown but still very useable. Actually compared to how slow Blackberry browsers render things, you may not notice it as much as if you were coming from an iPHone. Still - very useable and you can keep your AT&T account.

I agree with rivnny, my nexus is fast enough at getting emails and navigation but it does feel slow once you move off wifi to edge. Some pages take just as long to load if its intensive on edge. I will try out tmo3g on my friends sim to see how speeds are :)

ILoveBlythe

Dec 14, 2009
www.fhtmus.com
OK. 3G and EDGE speeds are night and day. Sorry folks. Its the way it is. EDGE is usable. I have put my att sim in and its a dramatic difference. Yes you get your emails alright. But everything thing else is painfully slow compared to 3G. If you don't agree you're in denial because you dont have 3G. I'm sorry to burst everyone's bubble and I'm not trying to be an a**. Just stating the facts.

anon(6936)

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
OK. 3G and EDGE speeds are night and day. Sorry folks. Its the way it is. EDGE is usable. I have put my att sim in and its a dramatic difference. Yes you get your emails alright. But everything thing else is painfully slow compared to 3G. If you don't agree you're in denial because you dont have 3G. I'm sorry to burst everyone's bubble and I'm not trying to be an a**. Just stating the facts.

I do agree. I am just saying that Edge speeds are adequate for my use. Since work pays for my AT&T account, I don't see a need to spend an extra $70 month for a little faster internet when walking around.

hawonjung

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site

I called and gave them N1 IMEI. They didn't recognize the phone so I told them it is non 3G phone.

I'm going to T-Mobile though. I made my mind.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site

I've been saying this all along. Glad someone else spoke up. A few weeks back someone was trying to convince me the speed of this device on edge was faster than an iPhone 3GS on 3G...

:rolleyes:

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Guess I didn't think about that.

Now that you mention, I realize most corps like BB because they completely control things; I'm still surprised you can't set up forwarding on the server, not that any corp admin would do that for you, defeats the control aspect. I know for a while, the PalmOS treos had a BB client, but guess nobody does any longer.
I'm the other way, I have my local provider email for most stuff, hotmail for junk registrations, and my gmail I give to almost nobody. That will probably change when I get my next device, but I like that *I* get to control it either way.
For work, I'm not going to mention how I get my work emails to my device or who I work for, they'd have a cow! It's all encryped across the line anyway, but, they'd have a cow, LOL!
ADS

No, the only solution is to migrate to gmail, etc..

You can only get your @att.blackberry email on your Blackberry device. Unless of course you change Blackberries and go into your BIS account and change the PIN to the new BB. To a BB user, the @att.blackberry email is the holy of holies. You only give that out to trusted sources as it is specific to your BB. Now, the great thing about BB's and BIS is that you can easily add othr email accounts to your device. @yahoo, @gmail, etc.., those are the addresses you give out to anyone.