Thoughts about Nexus 1

zachs

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
With the announcement of the nexus one arriving at Verizon end of March, who is thinking about switching from the droid to the nexus one. I really am unsure as I have not read too much about the problems/differneces of the two. Obviously the droid has the slide out keyboard, however I never use it so that isn't a big loss to me.

Any thoughts as to whether it would be worth changing? Is the nexus one better or worse than the droid?

Thanks

dman91

Banned
Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not. I skipped the N1 and dove right in for the Droid last month mainly because of the keyboard. I prefer it over the touchscreen keyboard and it's useful for gaming as well. Besides the Droid's physical keyboard, both devices are hardly different.

G

GenericMessage

I'm not. I skipped the N1 and dove right in for the Droid last month mainly because of the keyboard. I prefer it over the touchscreen keyboard and it's useful for gaming as well. Besides the Droid's physical keyboard, both devices are hardly different.

Don't forget the GPU!

zachs

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Not considering the physical keyboard is the way I am looking at things. I have used the keyboard on my droid probably 12 times since I got the phone, which was the day it was released. I am more interested in the ability to sync with my corporate exchange server and using it for business. I do have several apps that I like on the droid that I assume will run on the n1.

dancingcrab

Feb 16, 2010
www.dancingcrabspeaks.blogspot.com
My considerations, in brief:

1. No physical keyboard on N1 (I like my GBA emulator).
2. Full WVGA on Droid (FWVGA).
3. Reportedly poor battery life on N1 thanks to greedy Snapdragon - 1GHz is nice, but so is more than 12 hours of use. Add in that CDMA is slightly more power hungry...
4. Droid has a tried and tested quality GPU. N1's graphical prowess appears a little flimsy.

CavemanOOGA

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Nope, love my Droid to damn much. I looked at extensive comparison videos and articles between the Droid and the N1...and honestly, in my personal opinion, the N1 is beyond overrated.

Sure, it seems like/is an amazing phone, no doubt about that. But my Droid can do anything it can do, and in some cases it can do it BETTER. (aka gaming)

maz94protege

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I wasnt waiting, I now have the Moto Droid. The NExus 1 looks good from the reviews, but just having any Android OS phone is better then nothing. But again, ive only used a G1/HTC Eris/Moto DROID and Moto Devour, after i get my hands on the NEXUS 1, ill be able to compare it.

luniboy26

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I will be checking it out if the cons out way the pros then ill just see what the Incredible has and go from there Ive learned as you get older playing games on your phone gets old but I still love my droid but at the end of the day I could live without the keyboard and gpu

ap3604

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
As a Nexus One owner I could tell you that I would personally love the droids keyboard to help with the gaming emulation (no buttons suck! I die all the time running into bad guys :() BUT paying $70/mo ($40 of which being voice minutes that I dont want/need) would make me want to puke which is why I chose T-Mo in SoCal and have no reception issues.

Edit: Insert foot into mouth... spoke too soon =P just saw that Verizon has a data only option for $50/mo woops...

(but still $15 dollars more than the $35/mo I am paying for data only on T-Mo)

Last edited:

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
The main benefit of the N1 over the Droid I see is not being dependent on Verizon+Motorola for OS updates. Getting them right from Google as soon as they're available would be nice. Perfect example is all of us waiting for the 2.1 release for our Droids (though I'm no longer waiting thanks to the DroidMod guys - you rock!).

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
The main benefit of the N1 over the Droid I see is not being dependent on Verizon+Motorola for OS updates. Getting them right from Google as soon as they're available would be nice. Perfect example is all of us waiting for the 2.1 release for our Droids (though I'm no longer waiting thanks to the DroidMod guys - you rock!).

Amen to that! The only thing that I'm a little cautious about is that by the time the N1 is released to Verizon it will be a few months into it's product life cycle. I'd hate to buy one and 4-6 months later a N2 comes out.

I might wait to see what the HTC incredible is all about.

Yahma

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
The main benefit of the Nexus One, for me, is the ability to use it on T-Mobile and not be raped by Verizon's monthly fees.

akdakd1814

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Well clearly so far Droid sounds like it is winning the votes here here on this forum...I think it will be interesting to see what happens when die hard Verizon peeps (who obviously wouldn't have been using a N1 yet) will have to say when it finally hits. And what about the people who have a thing for the HTC UI? If you don't care about the keyboard - what happens if the Incredible gets released around the same time as N1? Will that confuse people's decision?

dancingcrab

Feb 16, 2010
www.dancingcrabspeaks.blogspot.com
Wait the droid has a GPU?

Yeh, it has something like a 400 or 420MHz OpenGL GPU. The N1 does *not*, meaning all cycles are handled by its Snapdragon 1GHz. Obviously CPU cycles plus GPU cycles do not equate to a completely logical comparison, but in layman's terms, the Droid could be deemed to have more flexibility.

Plus, having a discrete GPU means that the power drain is proportionately reduced when it's not in use. N1 users are already noting that the battery life is a little flimsy (okay, okay, the Droid's isn't absolutely fantastic either), probably thanks to its 1GHz CPU. As I mentioned previously, CDMA has a tendency to have a slightly higher drain rate than GSM, so I'd be a little nervous about VZW's N1's battery performance.

All that said, I still think the N1 is a fantastic piece of hardware, and definitely more appropriate for some people than the Droid. Honestly, my main two reasons for prefering the Moto is a physical keyboard and the additional 54 lines of pixels meaning true 16:9. (It's noticeable!!)

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeh, it has something like a 400 or 420MHz OpenGL GPU. The N1 does *not*, meaning all cycles are handled by its Snapdragon 1GHz. Obviously CPU cycles plus GPU cycles do not equate to a completely logical comparison, but in layman's terms, the Droid could be deemed to have more flexibility.

Plus, having a discrete GPU means that the power drain is proportionately reduced when it's not in use. N1 users are already noting that the battery life is a little flimsy (okay, okay, the Droid's isn't absolutely fantastic either), probably thanks to its 1GHz CPU. As I mentioned previously, CDMA has a tendency to have a slightly higher drain rate than GSM, so I'd be a little nervous about VZW's N1's battery performance.

All that said, I still think the N1 is a fantastic piece of hardware, and definitely more appropriate for some people than the Droid. Honestly, my main two reasons for prefering the Moto is a physical keyboard and the additional 54 lines of pixels meaning true 16:9. (It's noticeable!!)

That's awesome. I never knew that, for some reason. Something additional to love my Droid even more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa