Nexus One First Impression

MRGQ

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok so i have had my Nexus One for 3 days now and overall i can say that this has been one of the best phones i have ever purchased. Below are some pros and cons just a few as its a lazy sunday for me!

Pros:

AMOLED screen is gorgeous (and PLEASE for those who think its a pain in the neck in sunny days i haven't experience any problem yet, was walking down the street for a while on a sunny day in MEDIUM brightness setting and i dint have any issues seeing things or typing on my screen)

the Navigation app is AMAZING...better than my iPhone app! and its accurate as hell! i went to a party last night and used it and it got me there without any issues whatsoever! amazing work by Google here

The Snapdragon processor is snappy and web-browsing is great...no complaints there!

Cons:

The quality of Apps is nowhere as good as Apple's (remember i come and still own an iPhone and i can tell the difference quickly)---However i do see the Android Market improving on this as the market grows

Internal memory--an issue with these phones...enough said about that

the stock keyboard isn't as bad as i thought it was going to be...i got used to it quickly but the i have seen and tried better touchscreen keyboards (iPhone for example) BUT i have heard of different kinds of keyboards available (or im i wrong??) so this is a very minor thing

All in all i dint want to make this review too long and im sure i am missing a few other details but overall, i am glad i made the switch from my 3GS to the Nexus One (speech to text feature is awesome btw!!).

The Android OS is awesome and i love the way i can customize things to my liking (u listening Steve Jobs??) as much as i love my iPhone it has definitely been replaced with the Nexus!

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Great review. I'm actually going to go the opposite way and return it. The keyboard part seems to be a sensor issue and using a custom keyboard hasn't helped me. I actually keep going back to the Android keyboard. I've tried Swype, Better Keyboard & Smart Keyboard; the latter two with different skins and didn't really make a difference. I realize that I sms/twitter a whole lot and that keyboard isn't cutting it.

I see a lot of potential and hope that these issues are worked out in the Supersonic.

MRGQ

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
sad that the keyboard has become a problem for you...maybe the EVO 4G is the one you should try! with the bigger screen, the keyboard might be better than the Nexus One

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
That's what I'm hoping for. I love the platform (aside from a few quirks here and there) and would love to give Apple the bird.

anon(13322)

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The keyboard is driving me nuts. I can't type well on it at all. I've tried all the different keyboards and none of them are doing the job for me. :(

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
The keyboard is driving me nuts. I can't type well on it at all. I've tried all the different keyboards and none of them are doing the job for me. :(

Try the Swype... still slow, but it's growing on me. After reading the tutorial (a little bit), I started realizing how to type better.

Last edited:

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Where can I get the swype keyboard?

I believe the beta is still open. It is also kicking around the internet, you might be able to find it through a google search.

I have to say, Swype (beta) is gold for me. Very fast for single-hand texts, and the Beta is fairly accurate. The cons are, it really sucks for a landscape keyboard.

However, even with my tree-like fingers, it is very good, and very fast.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I believe the beta is still open. It is also kicking around the internet, you might be able to find it through a google search.

I have to say, Swype (beta) is gold for me. Very fast for single-hand texts, and the Beta is fairly accurate. The cons are, it really sucks for a landscape keyboard.

However, even with my tree-like fingers, it is very good, and very fast.

I haven't tried it in landscape yet. It works so good in portrait. I must check that out then.

keri2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Have you guys ever tried TouchPal? I see it's available for Android and although I don't have an Android yet, I can say that this keyboard was by far my favorite of all on Windows Mobile. I loved the layout choices and will get it again once I move off of the Pre and onto an Evo this summer.

cootek.com

I really hope that my link helps someone that isn't happy with the Android keyboards.

ksc6000#AC

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Very surprised

I'm pretty surprised that all of you dislike the Nexus One's keyboard. I'm coming from a Blackberry Curve 8900, and I was an expert typer on that if I can say so myself...and it took me about a week and half, but now I feel I can type just as well on the Nexus's landscape keyboard, and in some cases, even better!

MRGQ

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I can type OK on it but just just looking for alternative keyboards....I just feel like I don't type as fast as I did on my 3GS

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I'm pretty surprised that all of you dislike the Nexus One's keyboard. I'm coming from a Blackberry Curve 8900, and I was an expert typer on that if I can say so myself...and it took me about a week and half, but now I feel I can type just as well on the Nexus's landscape keyboard, and in some cases, even better!

It's not bad, but those coming from the 3Gs feel the difference. The 3Gs has multitouch on the keyboard which also allows for "almost" simultaneous touching of letters. So if I'm writing "the", I can touch the "h" almost at the same time as the "t". I've found kbs that provide multitouch, but they suck with spacing and positioning. Swype ftw!

I can type OK on it but just just looking for alternative keyboards....I just feel like I don't type as fast as I did on my 3GS

You aren't typing as fast... All I want is to be at least close to as fast.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
That's what I'm hoping for. I love the platform (aside from a few quirks here and there) and would love to give Apple the bird.

If everything holds true with what the new 4th gen may be, I sadly will be giving my N1 back. The screen resolution will be ridiculous. I'll probably just get the mini 5 to get my taste of android.

MRGQ

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
if all these reports are right, iPhone might comeback to give the EVO a good challange (well, maybe not since it wont have 4G yet)

MRGQ

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Idk Jobs can't keep running the same old layout because if they do iPhone days are numbered. ...iPhone OS got boring!

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I don't think the iPhone rumors are true. After having all three iPhones, I just can't see Jobs giving up ALL of that in one phone.

Jobs has never made a bold statement like "A+ upgrade" before. Apple always comes through when they say they will. They are the only company that comes out on time, every time. iPhone came out on the dates they said they would roll it out, no delays. I can almost guarantee the device he has is going to be crazy! I'm not saying there will be a front facing cam, but he wouldn't have made that statement if they were just upping the cam and putting my ram in.