Nexus 10 won't turn on.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I was able to induce this problem once, but I havn't experimentd to see if I could replicate it. Once I powered the device off via the button and while it was in the process of powering down I closed my magnetic cover,sending it into sleep mode. When I opened it again the only way to get it back on was to hold the power button down until the vibaration. I never tried to replicated it because I don't like to borrow trouble. Perhaps someone braver than I can experiment.

Jordan Mikesell

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
OMG!!! So I charged my nexus 10 to the full extent, unplugged it, and held down the power button. it shows google then the nexus sign then i put in my password and a second later it flickers off and dies. Next time it does the same thing only slightly sooner. And then last time i did it, it flickered off at the nexus sign thingy! What do i do? All of my favorite family photos and precious mementos are on here! HELP!!!!!!!!

Jordan Mikesell

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank god! I finally got it to work. if you're having my kind of problem, hold down the power button till you hear a buzz then wait till it comes to your password screen and shut it off before it can shut itself off! Hope this helps! :D

torpedopress

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Wow - some great tips here, but unfortunately my nexus 10 is still a useless paperweight
Nothing mentioned has made any difference.
I'm not getting any vibration or anything

The only time I get sign of life is if I have it plugged in with the charger and press the power button - then it briefly shows the charging icon in the center of the screen

Has anyone tried the Kobo as an alternative android tablet?
Luckily I have a squaretrade warranty on this dead nexus 10 - but I would be really hesitant to get another Nexus if this problem has been an issue for going on 3 months and it is still occurring.

I'm thinking that for a $550 device it should charge and power on.
this was my first google/samsung device - really disappointed :(

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
- but I would be really hesitant to get another Nexus if this problem has been an issue for going on 3 months and it is still occurring.

I view it differently. See, my device is fine. I induced the problem once, and have not experianced it again. Since myself and so many other N 10 owners have stated WE do not have the problem, and the majority of people with the problem show up, post and are not heard from again, this leads me to believe the problem IS NOT wide spread enough to warrent a fear of nexus devices.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
My wife's N10 internal charging circuit failed after 2 months. Google is well aware of the problem. Customer service was easy to deal with and a replacement unit was in her hands within a week.

She, too, is suspicious enough of this particular component in these units that she is backing everything up to my server at the house as soon as she gets home and wifi kicks on. If we take the N10 traveling with us any time in the future she will be uploading all photos to Photobucket and any other files to DropBox as a rule until this new unit proves itself free of the charging circuit problem.

Sandy G

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Pshew! Thanks you guys, I thought I was going to have to return my Nexus 10. I've only had it three days. I tried to wake it up, and I got a black screen. Charged it for an hour and it would not turn on. Tried your tips; holding down the power button for 10 seconds, twice, and it worked!!! Thanks again.

CGamid

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue for the first time today...although it turns out it was because the battery was completely dead. (Even though I had it plugged into AC power and it wasn't turning on...).

It's been 2 months since your post though, so I'm not sure that's a good sign of a software fix...

Niaw1

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks TJ!

Option 4 worked for me. First time this situation occurred for me since initial purchase in March. I charged the N10 to 100% yesterday, then closed cover. When I attempted to start this morning I experienced problem. Really glad these forums exist.

Lgi15

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus just died too. I just followed what he said holding the power button for like more than 10 sec. and it worked. haha! didn't really expect that tho. Thanks!

Linda van der Pal

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Scratch that, just got it to work. Apparently these things go into a deep sleep? Try holding the power button for about 30 seconds. It should come on.

Thank you so much for that tip! I had tried the 10 seconds and it didn't work. Holding it for much longer was indeed the trick. I was just starting to worry about having to send it back.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
See this fix for a Nexus 7;
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/12/27/fix-nexus-7-refusing-to-charge-try-this-trick/

It's the only method that worked for me, after trying every other method suggested. For reasons unknown, the Nexus 10
battery completely discharged while indicating it was charging on ac, when it was actually discharging all the while.

I'm repposting the meat of your link incase that page should ever disappear off the intenet. If anyone uses these steps please give the site a curtosy click for their support in providing an answer:

To charge a dead Nexus 7:
1. Plug-in your dead N7 to a wall charger. (Jump immediately to step 2.)
2. Immediately after plugging it in, press Volume Down and Power at the same time.

*This should get you into the bootloader menu. You may have to try this with different chargers or test out the timing in order to get it to work.

3. Once in the bootloader menu, use Volume Down until you see ?Power Off Device.?
4. Choose that option with the Power button.
5. Once your device is off, unplug the charger and then plug it back into the device.
6. You should now see the battery meter with your device returning to life.

Last edited:

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Mine wouldn't turn back on yesterday, but thanks to your post, all is well now. This is a great example of how we can all help each other out on this forum.

ellenwonder

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Just purchased Nexus 10 days ago, feel panic when reading the post on this charge problem. I hope my new Nexus 10 work all right all the time.
It is my first time to come here, happy to see many kind people here to help.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Just purchased Nexus 10 days ago, feel panic when reading the post on this charge problem. I hope my new Nexus 10 work all right all the time.
It is my first time to come here, happy to see many kind people here to help.

Welcome to Andoid Central. Glad to have you here!

bruh

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Just hold down the power button until you feel a buzz. Happens to me all the time. ;)

This worked!!! THANKS.

For me: I had it plugged in to the charger>>held power button longer than 30sec (maybe 45-60sec) while battery symbol went on/off>>then it vibrated>>pressed power again and it booted

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I just posted this in another topic but I thought it'd be more relevant in this topic:

Nexus 10 fails to power up - YouTube

Looks like I'm going to have to RMA it.... AGAIN. I'm going to ask for a refund this time, I think.

This had happened to me a few times now. However, I'm on the same Nexus 10 that I bought initially (back in December). The only solution I've been able to find is to use my Nexus 4 charger for an hour, then boot into the bootloader menu (then choose to start). Chances are, it hasn't enough power to boot itself up and the default charger tends not to push it over that state (at least for me). This had ONLY happened after letting it run for three weeks, whereas it finally died (lost charge).

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta