-------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)-------

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
for those who have yet to receive their nexus 4, i would seriously consider avoiding updating the software just to see how your battery life is. for my part, i'm incredibly disappointed that google shipped software that devastates the battery this badly. i'm hoping they come out with a fix it, mostly because i'm tired of the "system update available" notification and because battery seems to be the major gripe of many users. if someone has similar results, i would love to hear them

I resisted accepting the update for the first several days, and my battery life was excellent (light to moderate use never drained it past 40-50%, and I had 2-3 hours of screen on time). I finally accepted the update yesterday morning, and it has had no noticeable effect on my battery life. In fact, with light use today (updating several apps, setting up another one, one call, and sending some emails all while sitting mainly on wi-fi), it's at 90% after just under 8 hours off charger. I don't think the update is a universal problem, although for some people it's possible that something is happening during the install that impacts battery life.

Regardless, if you're seeing a 40% drop in a very short period of time (under 30 minutes) or if your phone gets so hot it's uncomfortable to hold, you've likely got a faulty battery. Contact Google for a replacement. What have you got to lose? Loss of access to a phone that was already practically unusable? :)

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody know why phone is using up so much percentage while I haven't even used the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

pespule

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery going down fast. 49min screen time, 60%

Maybe it's because I don't get a load of apps, but I can easily get 36+ hours and have ~10% battery left with WiFi on, GPS off, Location on, brightness set to auto and about 3-4 hours of screen time.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery going down fast. 49min screen time, 60%

Maybe it's because I don't get a load of apps, but I can easily get 36+ hours and have ~10% battery left with WiFi on, GPS off, Location on, brightness set to auto and about 3-4 hours of screen time.

And you also have a cellular connection? Or is that radio off?

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Is this normal?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355295469276.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355295469276.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 28

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Today was my second day with my N4, first day the battery wasn't great but I was also on it ALL day long. Today though it's already gotten to the point of good I think, here it was me using it a lot today:

hXfGz.png

oO0jS.png

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
How much screen on time did you get?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

I'm not sure, I don't have a custom battery app that would say. I used it extensively though through most of that time. I don't know what's considered good but I am 3 charges in and the battery is still getting better and life is pretty good now considering how much I've been using it I think

pespule

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So something weird happened earlier today. I downloaded LightFlow to test the LED notifications so I chose to turn on notifications for when the phone was charging. I was at around 60% and plugged in the charger to test different colors/delays in the LED. When I unplugged the charger, my phone now reads the battery as 100%. I only had it in for a couple of minutes at most. I tried plugging it back in and out and it still read 100%. The only way to fix it was to restart the phone, but I don't get why it happened in the first place.

m92singh

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem at the moment with the 2-3 % drop whilst the screen is on for a few minutes, however, I have got 3.7 hours of screen time from full charged and still have 45% battery left. Perhaps keep using it and wait until you have gone through a 10 charge cycles and see if it improves. I do however, have the same feeling as you about the drainage, but actually looking at the screen time it doesn't seem to bad. I am gonna test my Nexus for a week or so, I see I have the similar problem of the ear piece as the rumour is going around. The ear piece has a cricket noise when in call, though the amount of this noise is constant at all volumes of the call, don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. It's liveable but wonder if Google will do something about it.

just to add, I charged the it last using my laptop, I am sure that must have something to do with it, try charging it through the wall rather than laptop if you are doing that, laptops, computers take a longer time to charge as their volt out put is much lower!

Last edited: