No undo function on Android?

hankdu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Did some search on the internet and it appears there is no 'undo' button or shortcut for android.

Am I terribly bad at using Google or is it really android has not got 'undo' function?

Thanks all!

Sent from my Nexus 4

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Undo what?

I don't think I have ever seen much in the way of undo functions on mobile devices, however some do exist. For example, in the GMail app when you deleete a message you have a brief opportunity to tap an Undo button to restore it to the Inbox.

Also, if you purchase an app such as QuickOffice, you will find that it has many Undo/Redo functions just as you would find in Microsoft Word or Excel.

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Do you mean undo of what you've typed in a message? You could shake an iPhone and undo the text that was just typed but I don't think that's a function on Androids. Plus the backspace works perfectly fine too.

hankdu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean undo of what you've typed in a message? You could shake an iPhone and undo the text that was just typed but I don't think that's a function on Androids. Plus the backspace works perfectly fine too.

Yes I meant undo some text I deleted by accident. So this is not possible on android then?

hankdu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Undo what?

I don't think I have ever seen much in the way of undo functions on mobile devices, however some do exist. For example, in the GMail app when you deleete a message you have a brief opportunity to tap an Undo button to restore it to the Inbox.

Also, if you purchase an app such as QuickOffice, you will find that it has many Undo/Redo functions just as you would find in Microsoft Word or Excel.

Sorry for being unclear, I meant undo deleted text, for example I deleted some text in an email by accident and I want to recover the deleted text. is it possible?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for being unclear, I meant undo deleted text, for example I deleted some text in an email by accident and I want to recover the deleted text. is it possible?

Interesting thought. I've never seen or heard of anything like this, but that would be a feature I could have definitely used once or twice.

hankdu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Interesting thought. I've never seen or heard of anything like this, but that would be a feature I could have definitely used once or twice.

This is the one function I actually do miss when I moved from iPhone to android. It's possible on ios devices.

teleclimber

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
For Android people who had not heard of this:

Daily Tip: How to undo typing, deleting, cutting, pasting, etc. on iPhone | iMore.com

I just tried on an iPhone 4 I have laying around and it works well.

I think the "shake the phone" gesture is a little too dorky for my taste, but an undo function on Android would be welcome.

Maybe via the keyboard? perhaps a 2- or 3-finger swipe across the keys is undo/redo depending on the direction of the swipe?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Daily Tip: How to undo typing, deleting, cutting, pasting, etc. on iPhone | iMore.com

I think the "shake the phone" gesture is a little too dorky for my taste, but an undo function on Android would be welcome.

Maybe via the keyboard? perhaps a 2- or 3-finger swipe across the keys is undo/redo depending on the direction of the swipe?

Possibly. I'd take a look at 3rd party keyboards in the Play Store for an undo feature.

Thomas King

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: No undo function on Android? NOPE

You can undo with an iPhone or windoze phone, or any PC made in the last decade, but no Android has ever been able to UNDO. Particularly with the dreadful predictive keyboard, you'll be facepalming all the time.

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: No undo function on Android? NOPE

If you delete text by using the highlight and cut method then you can always paste the text back. As for deleting text I'm not sure how you are deleting it unless you are using the back key or a non-stock keyboard with a delete key.

Levolent com

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

LOL at that article being a couple months old and acting like it's a radical new feature unique to iOS.
My DROID X has had this since 2010. I'd really love to have it on my tablet if anyone knows an app for it!

bag-o-droid

May 3, 2012
Visit site
My exact frustration, held the backspace key after typing a carefully worded message. Now just a blank screen shouting "type on me, type on me!" :-[

P.S. so we seriously need an undo/redo function for basic text input. Though I also have dragged and dropped icons from the screen into the trash by mistake - no prompts there either.

EDIT: Galaxy S2, Jelly Bean 4.1.2

Klaus2

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I just found A.I.type keyboard via stackexchange. It has undo/redo as long-press keys among other useful features, such as cursor keys (available as extra page and as long-press keys).

@someguy01234 Could you please elaborate on how this works? From what I've found on google so far I figured that Android had no standard Undo API and without a standard API of course many apps and keyboards in particular won't implement such.

As far as I know, basic one- or three-step undo works in text fields in Windows and Linux without the Program having to implement it when using the Ctrl+Z hotkey and on iOS too it seems to be available anywhere I can write text. On the iPad at least, there are dedicated Undo/Redo keys on the virtual keyboard. So it really looked more like an omission on the side of Android's text-field/keyboard APIs rather than the apps to me.

It is a bit like telling App developers "you have to implement copy/paste yourself".

deroada

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
nice ...
almost everybody's acting so reserved and mysterious in here!
not even those who appear to do know the answer to the question are willing to give it away!?
and to access the links in the last comment one has to register too?
yet another account registration in the chaotic cyberspace ...
how so helpfully fabulous!

Last edited:

boscharun

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, android OS doesn't have the functionality inbuilt. Apps needs to implement this function for their edit areas. Since this has been raised as a feature request to android folks long long time ago and nothing has happened yet, this mostly would not happen. If you are looking for note taking apps with undo/redo options, you could try Sec Notes-
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.skipser.secnotes&token=_cdVBlyC

In fact a lot of the newer productivity apps have their own versions of undo/redo buttons.

DMKnapp

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Who knows how much is lawyers and how much is egos? One way or another Google and Apple have a "They do, so we won't" mentality that would embarrass a three-year-old. Anybody who isn't terminally contrary must recognize that a good user interface needs a global undo function. The ridiculous amount of time I spend backspacing over garbled speech-to-text results is one of the main reasons I'm moving back to an iPhone.

Charlie_M

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I am in awe, total and utter disbelief that in this day and age a phone would be lacking such fundamental functionality.
I will admit that I am from the Apple camp, I am waiting on my iPhone 6 to come in and in the meantime a friend leant me an Android phone to use till the day of my release arrives.

I stumbled on this very old thread hoping to find out how to undo some message that was overwritten.

While I am frustrated that I lost my message I have to laugh that of all the things that the Android camp laughs at the iPhone camp for not being able to do (like replacing your TV remote with it's IR blaster, and all the other highly critical features) it still cannot fix a simple message...please correct me if I am wrong but these are a communication device...correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa