Why bad benchmarks?

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I am seeing all around bad benchmarks on this phone, N4 has nearly same specs as the LG Optimus G which comes on top in most bechmarks it goes through, why? Newest version of JB that is why, I would have the audacity to say that anybody willing to lower the mod to an ICS and run benchmarks then I would be wondering if the N4 would happen to get on top as well as its' sibling, and also wonder if there would be associated OS problems too?

It is only a thought but it may take some time for Google to come up with updates to fix any OS problems, but it is only an idea, has anybody downgraded to prove wrong yet?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You can take benchmarks with a grain of salt. Sure they are fun to look at and compare but I've personally had phones that rated low and performed just as well along side another phone with top marks...

Real world hands on performance is where it matters the most.

Just my opinion.. Carry on :)

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Not sure ICS will run on the4 Nexus, but to be fair benchmarks are irrelevant, they seem to vary wildly depending on which one you use. I have found the Nexus 4 to be quick and seamless regardless of what I throw at it.

I'm sure there will be optimisations to Jelly Bean as time goes on but I prefer real world testing versus a benchmark.

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I am just wondering, benchmarks are really to laugh at, but why is its' sibling the LG Optimus G pretty much rank on top? I am not going to justify benchmarks as purely synthetic, why would they do them in the first place if some aspect of them weren't true? Not too many benchmarks are naming N4 on top it is either in the high middle or bottom.

My only guess was because of the JB, benchmarks may not be compatible with JB yet or optimized for it, but I was just wondering if N4 could be modded for ICS, would those benchmarks still prove N4 to be a low middle rank phone or would it have high marks like the LG Optimus G?

I was taking a look at a recent review : Google Nexus 4 review: Royal road - GSMArena.com

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You could of hit the nail right on the head. Benchmarking programs may not be on par yet with JB or Android 4.2 for that matter.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Benchmarks are fine and all but they really don't suggest real world performance. Having a higher quadrant doesn't tell you anything about how fast the phone "feels". They are completely useless if you are using them to suggest that one phone is better than another.

But to your original question, benchmarks simulate tests and then use some method to score it. Those test can perform differently between one version (or even ROM of the same version) of Android and another. I would guess the lower scores have more to do with the benchmarking application than anything else.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I heard that it has to do with keeping the processor cool. When running the benchmark, the processor isn't running on all 4 cores because it's trying to conserve energy. However, if this were true I don't understand why the optimus g wouldn't do the same. That being said, I love my nexus 4. don't let reviews and benchmarks steer you away if you really want this phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
No, not going to let benchmarks steer me away, but just purely curious if it was actually JB causing the low benchmarks and had anybody downgraded to prove it was JB with the software on JB that throttles it down to keep processors cool?

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the suspicion that it has to do with these benchmark programs not being optimized for 4.2 Jellybean.

Sent from my Nexus 4

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
No, not going to let benchmarks steer me away, but just purely curious if it was actually JB causing the low benchmarks and had anybody downgraded to prove it was JB with the software on JB that throttles it down to keep processors cool?

ICS throttles the processor too, all modern phone OS do to save battery.

It's most likely the benchmarking apps that are causing the difference in scores. ICS and JB are very different. Even if the benchmarking app is updated to score JB that doesn't mean ICS and JB scores will be comparable. You are comparing apples and oranges here. They are not the same OS which is why the scores aren't the same and why benchmarks don't matter :)

Toss a custom rom and kernel on the N4 and i'm sure it'll destroy the Optimus G.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
When you get a chance to use a Nexus 4, you'll be so impressed with its performance you'll forget why you ever put any stock into benchmarks in the first place.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrystalLewis