Problem with my Nexus 4

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, New guy in town here. Greetings from The middle of the World!
I got my (overpriced) Nexus 4 last week, since you can't get it over here directly from Google, well no one can! (PUN INTENDED) I bought it for $500
and got it delivered by my sister from NYC.

The nexus 4 is amazing in all aspects, but I'm having an issue. When the phone is on wifi everything works just fine but when I leave the house or office for example, the device has trouble switching quickly to HSPA+ or 3G and most of the time it doesn't switch! so I have to tap airplane mode, tap again to deactivate and suddenly Data is on!

I have the network signal bars all the time, with or without wifi but no data unless I do this.

Anyone has experienced this problem? Tips?

Thank you all in advance.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
What country are you in? I imagine there are some APN settings to tweak to sync up with your local network there. Search the forum for some APN settings to try, but maybe your local carrier has a better idea of what you need?

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
What country are you in? I imagine there are some APN settings to tweak to sync up with your local network there. Search the forum for some APN settings to try, but maybe your local carrier has a better idea of what you need?

Thank You Minnemike, I'm in Ecuador, my carrier is Telefonica's Movistar. Actually I work in the Advertising Agency managing their digital account so asking for a quick setup would be quick but i thought it was more a software thing... Anyway How do I access the APN Settings?
I press Settings>Status but no APN options

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, the APN is setup correctly, but still I have the same problem, when I leave wifi coverage, the device fails getting data from carrier even while signal bars are full.
This does not happend all the time tho.

Any other possible causes or suggestions?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey how is the Bluetooth for you guys? Mine is almost worthless!!!

In what respect? What are you using it for and why is it worthless?

For the original poster, is it possible you are roaming off of your primary carrier's network? I don't know about Telefonica, but here in the US many low-cost plans allow only voice roaming, not data roaming.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Also for the original poster: are you certain that you hace configured your APN settings correctly?

I browsed Moviestar's Ecuador site and, though I do not understand the language, this page appears to give the correct APN settings: Soporte de equipos

The directions are for a different phone, but that shouldn't matter.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Also for the original poster: are you certain that you hace configured your APN settings correctly?

I browsed Moviestar's Ecuador site and, though I do not understand the language, this page appears to give the correct APN settings: Soporte de equipos

The directions are for a different phone, but that shouldn't matter.
Nice. If using chrome desktop, google translate worked great for me on this page!

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
In what respect? What are you using it for and why is it worthless?

For the original poster, is it possible you are roaming off of your primary carrier's network? I don't know about Telefonica, but here in the US many low-cost plans allow only voice roaming, not data roaming.

I'm not roaming, data roaming is off, data enabled.
The APN setting are correct, I spoke with a colleague working at Telefonica's costumer service department and I'm good with the settings, My friend has a Galaxy Nexus with the same carrier, we have same settings and same JB version and he is not experiencing any problems. I do belive might be a bug with the Nexus 4.

?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm not roaming, data roaming is off, data enabled.
The APN setting are correct, I spoke with a colleague working at Telefonica's costumer service department and I'm good with the settings, My friend has a Galaxy Nexus with the same carrier, we have same settings and same JB version and he is not experiencing any problems. I do belive might be a bug with the Nexus 4.

I had this exact same problem with my Nexus 4 when I first got it. Some people have reported it as a bug, but I managed to fix mine simply by going to the APN screen (from Settings -> More... -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names) then hitting the menu button and selecting "Reset to default." I probably rebooted after it was done, too. Anyway, after resetting it, this problem vanished and I've been able to switch between wireless and mobile networks without a problem. Give it a shot - at the very least it can't hurt.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I had this exact same problem with my Nexus 4 when I first got it. Some people have reported it as a bug, but I managed to fix mine simply by going to the APN screen (from Settings -> More... -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names) then hitting the menu button and selecting "Reset to default." I probably rebooted after it was done, too. Anyway, after resetting it, this problem vanished and I've been able to switch between wireless and mobile networks without a problem. Give it a shot - at the very least it can't hurt.

Thank you I just did what you suggested and so far seems to work!!
Thanx my friend you are a life saver

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa