Sending Group SMS with Nexus 4

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was using the stock SMS app but am now using Handcent which has group messaging function. The only slightly irritating thing is when I get a text now I get 2 alerts and it shows up in both apps. But that's a small price to pay for being able to send group texts, which I need to do regularly.

I haven't used stock SMS in a few months buy if you have this in your stock SMS app settings you can get disable notifications all together and avoid that issue.

uploadfromtaptalk1359301101207.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used stock SMS in a few months buy if you have this in your stock SMS app settings you can get disable notifications all together and avoid that issue.

View attachment 57898

And as you can when you in check notifications all methods of notification are disabled

uploadfromtaptalk1359301286303.jpg

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was using the stock SMS app but am now using Handcent which has group messaging function. The only slightly irritating thing is when I get a text now I get 2 alerts and it shows up in both apps. But that's a small price to pay for being able to send group texts, which I need to do regularly.

You can turn the notification off the stock messaging in the message settings that everyone keeps screenshotting

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
So can you group message with the stock messaging app, without rooting? I'm talking about the type of group messaging where everyone can continuously talk in the same thread, not the type where you send a message to multiple people, but their replies come back in separate, individual threads. I have have tried several 3rd party messaging apps on my current phone (including Handcent) and found each of them to be buggy. That's why I want to know if the stock messaging app ont he Nexus 4 has this functionality as I am considering purchasing one.

DarthEagle

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
So can you group message with the stock messaging app, without rooting? I'm talking about the type of group messaging where everyone can continuously talk in the same thread, not the type where you send a message to multiple people, but their replies come back in separate, individual threads. I have have tried several 3rd party messaging apps on my current phone (including Handcent) and found each of them to be buggy. That's why I want to know if the stock messaging app ont he Nexus 4 has this functionality as I am considering purchasing one.

No I don't think you can. There's a separate thread on the subject here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/246179-need-help-handcent-go-sms-pro.html

Hope you find it helpful.

trinitrotoluene

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

Just created an account to respond here because with stock Android on my Nexus 4 and using the stock messaging app, I have group messaging. Been worthing with people on android and iphone for me. I see everyone in the same thread in the app. The mms group setting is checked on.

The reason I came to this thread was because my friend who bought nexus 4 at the same time does not have group messaging. Only difference we can think of is carrier. I have ATT and he is on TMobile.

Maybe it is carrier specific because they strip headers?

wvcadle

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
That's weird. Here's mine

That's because you've opened up an individual message, or started a new message, then hitting settings. What you need to do is press settings before you open or start a new text. Open up your messaging app, and immediately press settings, and you'll see it.

MaterialVersion842

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
There's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

A group SMS means that when you send you send multiple SMS to multiple people. In order for them to do a REPLY ALL, it has to be an MMS. Why? Because in an MMS it can store in the header information that this message was sent to contact A, B, C, D. So Handcent can do group messaging, but it's done as an MMS. If you remember Android pre 4.2 or even 2.x, when you mass messaged people, it would be a single SMS to each contact. When iPhone users started messaging group messages, you'd get a group message, and you could see the message was sent to 5 people or wahtever. However, when you replied it would only reply to one.

Handcent. GoSMS and Stock messaging in 4.2+ has fixed this and you're now allowed to reply all, but it HAS to be a MMS. There's no such thing as a group SMS. I suppose you could reply as single SMS to all 5 contacts, but you would throw their thread off on their side. So while they do get your reply, it's no longer part of that thread.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
i'm running stock... heck i just reset and erased last night after updating to 4.2.2... and i have the option to check/uncheck group messaging.

I'm guessing DarthEagle is running stock while the they person who has group messaging is running a custom app like CyanogenMod SMS (see my screen shot I am running CM10.1)

View attachment 57826

Sheaf666

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Just for clarity, as nobody seems to have said -

In the UK, MMS messages generally don't come out of data allowance. They cost per message. (Usually about 25p)
SMS are usually included in all tarrifs.

Therefore, if you send a SMS to 10 people, it's free. If you send an MMS it'll cost ?2.50

I made this mistake after getting the phone. Sent a text, didn't realise it had converted to MMS and it charged me.
So I changed the setting and it now just sends SMS.

I'm guessing in the US (where most on here are from I assume) MMS is just data, and very small, so MMS is fine. Generally in the UK nobody really uses MMS as it charges.

If you want to send a pic, email it.
If you want to have a group discussion of some kind, I generally just use Facebook Messenger. It's better anyway as it shows who's read it as it just as fast.

Alex

cruxer

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I have AT&T and stock 4.2.2 and have been able to send group MMS since I got my N4 in December. Could whether or not your stock messaging app displays the group option depend on whether or not you have the MMS settings configured in your APN settings? Can those who don't have the group option even receive 1 on 1 MMS messages like pictures or audio files?

-c

tranceFusion

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
In the Jelly Bean stock app in the settings there is an checkbox that says "Use MMS to send a single message when there are multiple recipients".

If you check this, it will use MMS. If you don't check this, it will send a bunch of individual SMS to each person on your contact list.

So, you don't need to use MMS to send to multiple people. You only need to use MMS if you expect them to see who the message was sent to and Reply All.