Any Nexus 4 owners check out the Blackberry Z10?

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I have one that I've been using for a few days now and it's a decent phone. I have three problems with it, or three reasons why I won't keep it.

1. The phone is the same size as my nexus 4 yet the screen is much smaller. There is about an inch at the top and then an inch at the bottom that just take up a lot of space.

2. Browser is good but font is still too small and when you zoom in (pinch to zoom) the text doesn't auto adjust to fit the screen. The font is too small on some websites even if you adjust it to the biggest font size.

3. Search is what Google does best. I have everything turned on (gps, wi-fi, t mobile network) and when I search for something, Google still finds irrelevant information. Example, if I search for a McDonald's, it will find a McDonald's in new York not in Virginia, and it's like that with almost every local search. However, if I search for McDonalds' on my Nexus 4, not only does it find the nearest McDonald's with a phone number, and a map, it will also find a few other ones that are a little further down the road. Search on z10 finds all kinds of information that you don't need.

However, the keyboard is awesome. I like my swift key keyboard but blackberry keyboard is awesome, auto correct never makes mistakes, shoot even I rarely make mistakes by typing on it.

edit: spelling

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Here's my review:

Let me begin by saying that for the past 4 years I've gone through many devices:
-For Android I went through 4 Nexus devices, 3 other Samsungs, 1 other HTC, 1 other LG & 1 tablet - my current primary Android being the Nexus 4.
-For iOS I went through the iPhone 3G, 4, 4S & the iPhone 5 is currently my primary backup device.
-Admittedly, I'm not as well versed in the world of Windows Phone only having had 1 Windows 7.8 device.
-Lastly, the only Blackberry I've had prior to the Z10 was the 9360 as the BlackBerry OS never really appealed to me.

Given I've primarily used Android & iOS devices the past 4 years, I've invested close to 3,000$ in their ecosystems, but for the purposes of this review, I'll put that investment aside and focus on the Z10 itself & its ecosystem.
With that out of the way, I have to admit that I was quite excited when I received the BlackBerry Z10 as it represented the first new Mobile OS since Windows Phone (which in my opinion still hasn't taken off as much as Microsoft & Nokia were hoping).

When I first booted the device, there was a near 2 hour update process which while I won't deduct points for given that the device is still brand new so it's just the price early adopters need to pay, it's still something that deserves to be mentioned.
After that was completed and I was finally able to get into the device, it felt comfortable & familiar.

Pros:
-Camera - While there's not a lot of features, those included all feel well thought out & polished.
-Build quality - Again, while it's not much to look at, every corner of the device looks like Blackberry really spent time getting it right. From the rubberized back with the raised logo, to the rounded corners & crisp looking screen.
-UI - That's where Blackberry really differentiates itself from the competition. While it did take time to get use to peeking through the lockscreen and swiping up to access the multitasking "cards", it quickly became second nature.
-Keyboard - While it's not as good as Android's SwiftKey, it's far better than iOS' & Windows Phone's. It took quite a bit of time to get use to flicking up to insert the prediction, but after a while it was more comfortable.

Cons:
-App World - Even though it's early on, there seems to be a severe lack of Apps! There are a decent amount of good games, however when it comes to Apps it seems there's way too many either blatant cheap ripoffs attempting to cash in before an official App gets posted or just links to mobile websites. Even the YouTube App is a link to the mobile site!
-Android 2.3.3 - Blackberry has stated that they plan to update the emulator to 4.0 soon, but for now, being on 2.3.3 is quite limiting. For my daily uses I was successful in sideloading about half of the Apps I wanted, primarily being; Facebook Messenger, Google Voice, Google Maps, Google Translate & WidgetLocker. Unfortunately the rest of the suite of Google Apps didn't work - Google+, Chrome, Currents, YouTube & GMail.

Overall:
BlackBerry should be applauded for what it shipped with. The on-board Apps & hardware are undoubtedly top-notch. However, anyone expecting to broaden their experience with Apps will be sadly out of luck at this point.
For a User that's looking to upgrade from a traditional BlackBerry device it's a step up for sure. It's even a worthy competitor for Windows Phone 7/8.
However, for a User coming from Android or iOS that's use to a certain level of App support, it just won't cut it.
Will it stop current BlackBerry Users from switching to another OS? All, no but many yes.
Will it convert Android or iOS Users? For the most part, no but a small segment that don't download many Apps & Games possibly.
In my opinion, BlackBerry has the potential to overtake WP7/8 and become a solid 3rd option behind the big 2...but that will really depend on whether or not more major Devs get on board & how quickly they update their Android emulator.

Has the Z10 replaced the Nexus 4 as my primary device? No.
It has however replaced the iPhone 5 as my backup device.

And just for sh*ts & giggles, here's my Lockscreen:
Nexus 4 next to the Z10
3EyCTqP.png

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
1. The phone is the same size as my nexus 4 yet the screen is much smaller. There is about an inch at the top and then an inch at the bottom that just take up a lot of space.

This also bothers me immensely. Looking at comparisons to other devices, it was as big as the GS3 and N4 despite having a smaller screen. What's the point of having a screen that small if the phone is still the size of some of the 4.7 ones out there? If anything, I want BB to make it roughly the same dimensions as the iPhone 5. Slightly bigger of course, with that 4.3 inch screen, yet smaller than the rest of the phones on the market. For what I see, it's big for no reason and it kinda makes the phone look ugly to me. Design should be a primary focus with the next BB. Android is just starting to make nice looking phones (Nexus 4, One X, One, DNA) so BB comes to market late with an ugly phone? Terrible. The Q10 looks nice though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Here's my review:

[edited out because it's too long to quote]

That was faster than expected.

Anyways, nice review! Yeah, seems like BlackBerry is trying to get out of the ditch they put themselves in and is doing a decent job at it. AC should hire you! :p

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have one that I've been using for a few days now and it's a decent phone. I have three problems with it, or three reasons why I won't keep it.

2. Browser is good but font is still too small and when you zoom in (pinch to zoom) the text doesn't auto adjust to fit the screen. The font is too small on some websites even if you adjust it to the biggest font size.

3. Search is what Google does best. I have everything turned on (gps, wi-fi, t mobile network) and when I search for something, Google still finds irrelevant information. Example, if I search for a McDonald's, it will find a McDonald's in new York not in Virginia, and it's like that with almost every local search. However, if I search for McDonalds' on my Nexus 4, not only does it find the nearest McDonald's with a phone number, and a map, it will also find a few other ones that are a little further down the road. Search on z10 finds all kinds of information that you don't need.

However, the keyboard is awesome. I like my swift key keyboard but blackberry keyboard is awesome, auto correct never makes mistakes, shoot even I rarely make mistakes by typing on it.

edit: spelling

Thanks for your experiences. Good feedback on the search function. The Android search function is top notch and so easy to use. Any apps you want but could not use?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Here's my review:

Let me begin by saying that for the past 4 years I've gone through many devices:
-For Android I went through 4 Nexus devices, 3 other Samsungs, 1 other HTC, 1 other LG & 1 tablet - my current primary Android being the Nexus 4.
-For iOS I went through the iPhone 3G, 4, 4S & the iPhone 5 is currently my primary backup device.
-Admittedly, I'm not as well versed in the world of Windows Phone only having had 1 Windows 7.8 device.
-Lastly, the only Blackberry I've had prior to the Z10 was the 9360 as the BlackBerry OS never really appealed to me.

I knew you had a ton of android experience so was really looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks for your feedback on the Z10. The pros are great and the app world should get up to speed soon but you listed some major apps that cannot be used, which is concerning. I hear the app world is growing daily but it will be a while before it is robust enough for a android user.

Any specific thoughts on the device as a phone? Voice quality, earpiece volume? Dialer usage? How about the battery life. Any thoughts comparing to the Nexus 4?

Lanhoj, Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know your thoughts on the Z10!

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Any specific thoughts on the device as a phone? Voice quality, earpiece volume? Dialer usage? How about the battery life. Any thoughts comparing to the Nexus 4?

Call quality - I don't do alot of calling to be honest, maybe 2/day but since it was new I decided to ramp it up & did 15 over 2 days. I had 1 dropped call but still pretty good results

Earpiece (headphones) - I used them for a few hours of music streaming and sounded on par with the others I've used lately from Samsung & Apple. Nothing to write home about but definitely usable.

Dialer - I liked that it populated #'s as I dialed & miss that on Stock Android.

Battery life - It lasted better than the Nexus 4, however likely due to the smaller screen & less Apps. Nexus 4 I get 8-10hrs pretty much from 100-0% but with the Z10 I got almost 14hrs from 100-0%.

Will it replace my Nexus 4 - definitely not. Absolutely no chance, at least with the current state of the App World & only running GB 2.3.3.
However, my iPhone 5 has now taken a back seat being replaced by the Z10 as my main non-Android backup - I often switch phones every couple days to not get too bored.

Next phone I plan to review is the S4 (though I won't get it until the summer so it'll likely be irrelevant by then.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate your comments and comparisons to the N4. Since BB was my first three smartphones, I think I was itching get my hands on one. I trust your judgement and am feeling good about holding with my toys right now...at least until the S4 hits the scene! lol!

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm interested in this as well, but only from the libertarian / Adam Smith standpoint that more competition is better than less competition.

As a tech enthusiast, I think RIM's OS is like webOS except with more viability to it. How much more, of course, really remains to be seen, because from everything I understand, it really doesn't do anything that you can't also do with either Android- or iOS-based devices. And, if history teaches us anything, it's that the market generally does not support an also-ran.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I got one on Verizon to try it and even though I've had it only a day I'm not impressed much at all. The biggest thing is their are practically no apps really available for the phone unless you side load them. I mean really no Netflix app??

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I got one on Verizon to try it and even though I've had it only a day I'm not impressed much at all. The biggest thing is their are practically no apps really available for the phone unless you side load them. I mean really no Netflix app??

I read that you can side load Netflix and it works fine?

Sent from my Nexus 4

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I read that you can side load Netflix and it works fine?

I haven't found a Netflix APK that works, unfortunately.

I don't want to keep relying on sideloading, personally. Sure it's a relatively painless procedure but still, Devs need to start supporting the OS officially or Blackberry will die off.

Here's how to sideload (assuming you have the APK's):
http://blackberryempire.com/how-to-sideload-android-apps-onto-your-blackberry-10-device/
http://apk2bar.org/

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I haven't found a Netflix APK that works, unfortunately.

I don't want to keep relying on sideloading, personally. Sure it's a relatively painless procedure but still, Devs need to start supporting the OS officially or Blackberry will die off.

Here's how to sideload (assuming you have the APK's):
How To Sideload Android Apps Onto Your BlackBerry 10 Device | BlackBerry Empire
PlayBook .apk to .bar converter

Sideloading on Android can be done by literally downloading the APK, opening it, and allowing it to install, right? Or is that something else?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Sideloading on Android can be done by literally downloading the APK, opening it, and allowing it to install, right? Or is that something else?

On Android, yes.
For Blackberry devices running OS 10, no it needs to be converted to the BAR format then following a different install process than simply downloading the file.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Mine should arrive this week, I'm eager to try it out.

I would love to hear what you think of it. And the OS in general. I played with one at the store a bit, but my wife has been on BB and was considering the Q10 as she likes the keyboard.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I would love to hear what you think of it. And the OS in general. I played with one at the store a bit, but my wife has been on BB and was considering the Q10 as she likes the keyboard.

Check post 27 of this thread.

Sent from my Nexus 4

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
On Android, yes.
For Blackberry devices running OS 10, no it needs to be converted to the BAR format then following a different install process than simply downloading the file.
Thanks for your time and effort on this. I think I will continue to steer my wife towards an Android or ios device.

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I came from three previous blackberry devices. Started out with the Curve and moved on to two consecutive Bolds. I only had my 9900 for 10 months before realizing I needed to switch platforms as the Bold just wasn't meeting my needs.
Now after using the nexus4 for about 5 months I find it really difficult moving back to blackberry mainly due to the lack of certain apps. I used to love bbm as well but when friends and family left the platform my use for it diminished and I would be facing the same issue if I moved back.
The Z10 seems real compelling but as a Playbook owner I have experience using qnx and just don't want to deal with side loading or workarounds. They have maybe closed the hardware gap but the software support divide still remains.
I am sure that as a communications tool it works well but for anything else I'm sure it is hard to beat the pure Google experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38