Extra storage for Nexus 4

Hamed K

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,
I have a question about my Nexus 4. Unfortunately, there is not enough storage for the things I need. Is it possible that there may be some sort of external hard drive that I can plug into the micro USB slot which I can store some files on. I am hoping I will be able to browse through the drive on my phone.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,
I have a question about my Nexus 4. Unfortunately, there is not enough storage for the things I need. Is it possible that there may be some sort of external hard drive that I can plug into the micro USB slot which I can store some files on. I am hoping I will be able to browse through the drive on my phone.

Google Drive will give you 15 gigs.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
The ziddey kernel works well (referenced above); however, you must have external power-AC, car, power bank of some sort. I use this mod and love it. I also have the RAVpower wireless WiFi disk (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AQ...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2828879) which will allow you to read SD cards as well as USB drives in addition to giving you a power bank. It's not cheap ($55.USD) but very versatile. If you don't need the RAVpower's versatility, go with the ziddey kernel, a y connector, and a power bank for portability. Read all about it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=38907197.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
WiFi hard drive 1tb that is what you need.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Exactly what OP needs. You can also keep it simple by using a small USB drive and carry it around on your keychain and use something like this as an adapter: Insten 675704 Adapter - Newegg.com

If you don't need it on the go then consider a larger drive.
It may be simpler just to get the "adapter" built in like [URL="https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F711-53200-19255-0%2F1%3Fff3%3D4%26pub%3D5575095911%26toolid%3D10001%26campid%3D5337543237%26customid%3DUUacUvbUpU2830262%26mpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fitm%252FMicro-USB-Host-OTG-Cable-w-USB-Power-FAST-Same-Day-Shipping-%252F261215779847%253Fpt%253DUS_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters%2526hash%253Ditem3cd1ac7c07%252522&token=BFvTH8FW]this one[/URL]. User still needs to have one connector for power, one for going to the phone, and one receptacle for usb drive, card reader, or other usb device. I purchased [URL="https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F711-53200-19255-0%2F1%3Fff3%3D4%26pub%3D5575095911%26toolid%3D10001%26campid%3D5337543237%26customid%3DUUacUvbUpU2830262%26mpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fitm%252FUSB-2-0-A-Female-to-Dual-USB-A-Male-Power-Y-Cable-new-%252F260956571091%253Fpt%253DLH_DefaultDomain_0%2526hash%253Ditem3cc23945d3%252522&token=ssrR2l0n]this[/URL] cable and tried to use it with the standard [URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FUNYSA/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&t=androidcentral00-20&tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2830262]OTG connector[/URL] which works on the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7, but it did not give power when connected to a pc or AC outlet.
If $$ is no concern, then a wifi external hard drive is an excellent--and very versatile--solution.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone signed up for Box storage lately? Several months ago, owners of LG devices could get 50GB free for life. Not a solution for files over 200MB--unless that's changed, but still allows for a good bit of extra cloud storage. If anyone tries/tried it, please report back. It worked for me in March. I believe I received info about it in my Nexus 4 box.

Emma Challis

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone signed up for Box storage lately? Several months ago, owners of LG devices could get 50GB free for life. Not a solution for files over 200MB--unless that's changed, but still allows for a good bit of extra cloud storage. If anyone tries/tried it, please report back. It worked for me in March. I believe I received info about it in my Nexus 4 box.

Still works! I signed up to it today :D

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,
From what I have seen, you have two options; Cloud or USB OTG.

For Cloud storage, Box.Com has gotten pretty good. They give you 50 gigs and the app is surprisingly easy to use. Dropbox is better IMO, but I think they only offer 5 gigs; I still use dropbox the most though. Google now allows you to use a unified storage of 15 gigs among your gmail, drive, and picasa accounts, and you get that for free. For Photos, Flikr offers an insane 1 terabyte of storage for free, but they officially only allow you to store images there. I have not had a chance to try out Flikr yet. But a lot of major 3rd party apps like Pictarine are already supporting it.

Google's main flaw in designing the Nexus 4 is the lack of SD support. You can get around this, sorta, with USB OTG. Using a special cable, you can hook up USB thumb drives to your phone via the Micro USB port. The process is a little messy though, and you need an external power source for the drive (the phone can't power it), but it is better than nothing. It will allow you to use the Nexus 4 like a computer to read and write to any USB drive.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Dang!!! I missed out on getting this... as I already had it from TouchPad ownership. :D

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I hate their app though.
I use sky drive for documents.
Drop box for images. Got 20gb by finding an email list on gaming websites or torrents, send them out and you should get quiet a few responses. Will be a pain to them, but gamers who require adds will get a lot of emails generally.

It does work did it a month ago with box. Made the misses one but she doesn't use it. Shame I couldn't put it on my Account for 100gb

Posted via Android Central App

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Dang!!! I missed out on getting this... as I already had it from TouchPad ownership. :D
In case you didn't try it after Fairclough's reply, I just came across this: Current promotions offered by Box:

Android:

LG phones and tablets: Download Box for Android on your device and sign in to get a 50GB upgrade automatically. Valid through 12/31/13. Get more details.
Sony Xperia devices: Download Box for Android on your smartphone or tablet and log in to get a 50GB upgrade automatically. Valid through 12/31/13. Get more details.

I had to locate the post (first find which forum), but it's still available!

dsneedmd

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Wrong! You can now get a Bluetooth or Wi/Fi portable HD. Up to 10 hrs on battery & you can plug into outlet or car charger.
From what I have seen, you have two options; Cloud or USB OTG.

For Cloud storage, Box.Com has gotten pretty good. They give you 50 gigs and the app is surprisingly easy to use. Dropbox is better IMO, but I think they only offer 5 gigs; I still use dropbox the most though. Google now allows you to use a unified storage of 15 gigs among your gmail, drive, and picasa accounts, and you get that for free. For Photos, Flikr offers an insane 1 terabyte of storage for free, but they officially only allow you to store images there. I have not had a chance to try out Flikr yet. But a lot of major 3rd party apps like Pictarine are already supporting it.

Google's main flaw in designing the Nexus 4 is the lack of SD support. You can get around this, sorta, with USB OTG. Using a special cable, you can hook up USB thumb drives to your phone via the Micro USB port. The process is a little messy though, and you need an external power source for the drive (the phone can't power it), but it is better than nothing. It will allow you to use the Nexus 4 like a computer to read and write to any USB drive.

Funkyoid

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I use a wifi 1TB portable hard drive and it works a treat. I get 5.5hrs of continuous usage out of it with 5 devices attached (2 x nexus 4, 1 x ipad and 2 x kindles) and its amazing. Its the Gauntlet Node and I put in it a 2.5" 1TB HDD. It also allows you to connect to your wifi internet at the same time via pass through so you can surf and access stuff! Its brill!

I also use FREE cloud storage:
Google - 15gb
Box - 50gb

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

In case you didn't try it after Fairclough's reply, I just came across this: Current promotions offered by Box:

Android:

LG phones and tablets: Download Box for Android on your device and sign in to get a 50GB upgrade automatically. Valid through 12/31/13. Get more details.
Sony Xperia devices: Download Box for Android on your smartphone or tablet and log in to get a 50GB upgrade automatically. Valid through 12/31/13. Get more details.

I had to locate the post (first find which forum), but it's still available!

Use your mouse to highlight the gap between the text and the smiley on my original post. *wink*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty