Why and Whaaaaat.

mrip

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
What is the difference between vanilla android and jellybean. They announced the Samsung 4 running Vanilla why not jelly bean? Please someone explain this to me like I'm a 4th grader,(lol) not to technical just so it makes sense.

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
plain android does not have carrier software like touchwiz and the reason plain is desired by most is you do not have to wait for the carrier to update the phone. google does not have to wait on the carrier with vanilla and just updates it.

teacher does not have to wait on the slow students to handout new work

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What is the difference between vanilla android and jellybean. They announced the Samsung 4 running Vanilla why not jelly bean? Please someone explain this to me like I'm a 4th grader,(lol) not to technical just so it makes sense.

Vanilla Android is Jelly Bean. There is just no Manufacturer apps and garbage on it. To give you an example that you can compare to, the next time you are in an electronics store and see working displays of the wifi Nexus tablets, play with those. That is Vanilla Android. If your cell has Jelly Bean, that is what is called a 'skinned' Jelly Bean, meaning you have your makers version of JB and it's skin on Android.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
plain android does not have carrier software like touchwiz and the reason plain is desired by most is you do not have to wait for the carrier to update the phone. google does not have to wait on the carrier with vanilla and just updates it.

teacher does not have to wait on the slow students to handout new work

TouchWiz is Samsung's launcher, not a carrier skin.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Jellybean is the current version of Android, either 4.1 or 4.2 (and their subsequent subversions). The most recent version of Jellybean is 4.2.2, running on Nexus devices. Many devices run Jellybean, including the Nexus 4, the Samsung Galaxy S4, and the HTC One. On the other hand, when people talk about "vanilla Android," they're talking about stock Android without any modifications by manufacturers (like Samsung), carriers (like Verizon), or third party software (like CyanogenMod). Usually vanilla Android refers to the most recent version as well, but not always! The 2010 Nexus S runs vanilla Android, but as far as I know it was not officially upgraded to 4.2.2.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

Android is an operating system, and Jelly Bean specifies which version of Android. Before Jelly Bean, there was Ice Cream Sandwich, and before that Gingerbread, etc.

Each manufacturer, whether it be Samsung, HTC, Sony, etc, likes to put a theme or skin over that standard "vanilla" Android. These themes alter the appearance of Android, as well as add whatever features the manufacturer wishes to install.

So when someone references vanilla Android, it merely means plain Android without any changes or interference from the manufacturers. Some call it stock Android, some call it vanilla Android.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
like said above.

also, Samsung S4 runs jelly Bean but it doesnt run Vanilla since the OS has been modified to look different

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
What is the difference between vanilla android and jellybean.
Jellybean denotes the version of the OS. This is not just the look of the OS, but things under the hood.

Vanilla Android means it is not polluted with any overlays. Sense (HTC), Touchwiz (Samsung), and Motoblur (Morotola) are examples of such overlays. They change the look and feel of the default OS and add (or remove) some features.

They announced the Samsung 4 running Vanilla why not jelly bean?
It will be both.

mrip

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you to all who have answered. I was just a little confused and you guys cleared it, thank you again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38