Straight Talk T-Mo Data NO LONGER WORKING!!!

fam617

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
On Sept 10 my data on my N4 using ST Tmo SIM stopped working. I get the grey bars (no blue ones). I checked my status and I'm not connected to a mobile network. I am not a rookie on this either...I know what I am doing. In fact, I am not the only one experiencing this...I bet as the days go by, more and more folks will complain the same. I am in the Boston area and already tried the following:

• Called ST and they gave me the same run around we all know
  • Took out SIM and restarted phone 20 times
  • Deleted, reset all APNS and created a new one
  • Checked all mobile checkboxes and airplane mode settings and such

I am not the only one...people in my area with the same phone and ST Tmo service are experiencing the same. Also, other folks are posting the same in other parts of the US.

Does anyone know what is going on? I have no issues since I got this SIM on Nov 2012....til now.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Could they possibly be throttling your data? Another person on this forum had problems with data, and found out Straight Talk was throttling due to a history of high usage.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, I have the AT&T sim and all day yesterday was having data issues. Blue bars usually mean you are synced with Google. My data overall was pretty funky yesterday. I am wondering if it was issues with ST or issues with Google although once on wi-fi it was fine.

Can't wait to switch over to Aio. I was going to do it towards the end of the month but if this keeps up I will be forced to switch sooner!

Update - So far this morning data looks to be back to normal again and I am staying connected to Google servers as well....

Last edited:

fam617

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: Data is working now for myself and others that I know of that had the same problem in my area I didn't do anything...data was just back up this morning.

I wasn't being throttled by ST either...also, I didn't want to do a hard reset bc I truly believed it was a ntwk issue.

Just wait it out if it happens to you...ST won't do and doesn't know jack.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Andy Bell

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Similar thing happened to me on the Three network in the UK a couple of days ago, all i got was the grey bars and had no data connection. Was back up the following day though.

I called my NP as well and they did a service check and said everything should have been fine in my area, I checked with the guy sat next to me who's on the same network but has an SG3 and his was fine.

mcshaggin

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
You aren't the only one. I had the same issue, same day. I freaked thinking they were throttling me after I just purchased a 3 month refill. I am in the Atlanta area. Obviously Straight talk is clueless as well as busy that night. Here is the transcript from chat.
Tyra has entered the session.
Mike: I'm not getting any data this evening and have traveled a radius large enough to ping different towers.
Tyra: Hi Mike.
Tyra: Thank you for visiting Straight Talk Wireless. I would be happy to assist you with your issue.
Mike: hi
Tyra: Please provide me with your phone number so that I can pull up your account.
Mike: XXX-XXX-XXXX
Tyra: Please give me one moment as I pull up your account.
Mike: k
Tyra: Thank you.
Tyra: Do you have the phone with you?
Mike: yes
Tyra: In what state are you currently located?
Mike: GA
Tyra: I see.
Tyra: Please turn your phone off and then back on.
Mike: I did that earlier
Tyra: What is the model of your phone?
Mike: nexus 4
Tyra: Please remove the battery out while your phone is on.
Mike: it doesn't have a removeable battery
Tyra: I see.
Tyra: How many signal bars do you have on your phone?
Mike: currently 1 but it's grey, it is blue when data is available
Mike: earlier i had 4/5 bars grey, could make calls but no data
Tyra: You need to have atleast three to five signal bars to access your browser.
Tyra: It appears that your issue is going to require further troubleshooting and we will need to speak with you directly. In order to better assist you with resolving your issue, please contact one of our customer service representatives at 1-866-806-1840. Please use reference PIN (151581). This PIN is valid for two weeks. Thank you for chatting with Straight Talk Wireless. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST.
Mike: now have 2 bars but still not data
Tyra: Please call us at the number that I gave you to escalate your issue.
Tyra has exited the session.

fam617

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
This is happening again! Started Saturday evening, Jan 4, 2014. I still do not have data. I am convinced ST changed the Tmo APN settings. I tried customer svc and they have no clue as usual. This has been working fine for over 1 yr and now it doesn't. Here is what I have:

NAME: Straight Talk
APN: wap.tracfone
PROXY:
Port: 8080
MMSC: http://mms.tracfone.com
MMS Proxy:
MMS Port:

Anyone else experiencing the same? I am very close to leaving ST!!!!

GinDeaton777

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This is happening again! Started Saturday evening, Jan 4, 2014. I still do not have data. I am convinced ST changed the Tmo APN settings. I tried customer svc and they have no clue as usual. This has been working fine for over 1 yr and now it doesn't. Here is what I have:

PROXY:
MMS Proxy:
MMS Port:

- - - Updated - - -

PROXY:
MMS Proxy:
MMS Port:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress