WiFi issue after 5.0 image install

BAlGaInTl

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I did a clean install of the 5.0 image this weekend. Since then I've had an issue where the WiFi will shut down, and I can't turn it back on until I've rebooted the phone. I used a good chunk of my data allowance last night streaming without realizing it.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

It has already happened to me three times.

Posted via the Android Central App

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar issue. I have wifi set to stay awake even during sleep but I have noticed that when I woke up this morning and went to use my phone it had to reconnect to the wifi. (No reset required, but still annoying) I don't want to have to turn data off as I will forget to turn it back on when needed.

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue, except mine would reconnect after a few moments... I went to Advanced WiFi settings and changed the WiFi frequency band from Auto to 2.4GHz -- so far so good.

You may also want to turn off "Scanning always available" while you're at it -- both these settings can end up mucking with the radio daemons.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
This is more a firmware issue in the router and incompatibility with the latest ITU standards than a problem with the Nexus 4... make sure your router is on the current firmware. A quick fix is as Sicily1918 suggested and force the WiFi mode into a specific frequency range, but this is masking the issue, not fixing it.

Also, even if you are outside the US, change your router to use a channel under 12 for 2.4Ghz range.

Also, the "Scanning not available" should not muck up the radio daemon at all, and it has minimal battery drain, I have had the N4 since shortly after release and never turned it off once.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not just the Nexi or Lollipop. Samsung Note 3s on 4.4.2 have problems with the newer routers - lost connections, slower overall speeds, less than dial-up speed on some apps (like the pictures on Facebook) - but my phone works fine with an old WRT54G I had to scrub to get the mildew and moss off. (US channel1, 6 or 11, no difference - and no interference.)

The question is - have the router manufacturers implemented the standards wrong, has Android implemented it wrong or is the standard not "standard" enough to guarantee compatibility between devices? IOW, who do we go after to fix this situation?

BAlGaInTl

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It's not just the Nexi or Lollipop. Samsung Note 3s on 4.4.2 have problems with the newer routers - lost connections, slower overall speeds, less than dial-up speed on some apps (like the pictures on Facebook) - but my phone works fine with an old WRT54G I had to scrub to get the mildew and moss off. (US channel1, 6 or 11, no difference - and no interference.)

The question is - have the router manufacturers implemented the standards wrong, has Android implemented it wrong or is the standard not "standard" enough to guarantee compatibility between devices? IOW, who do we go after to fix this situation?

It isn't a problem with connection to routers at all. It is a problem with wifi turning off, and you can only restart it by rebooting the phone.

There has been an issue posted to google...

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=80028