Phone keeps crashing and rebooting after 5.0 upgrade

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I recently updated to 5.0 on my stock Nexus 4. Phone is not rooted. at least once or twice a week the phone will randomly shut down and reboot with no warning. On other occasions, the phone will lockup when using the stock messaging app (not Hangouts) and either reboot, or go to a blank homescreen with just the wallpaper and no app icons, then reboot as normal. On one occasion, I got a loud buzzing from the speaker before the phone shut off. Not really sure what is causing this.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds something like the problem the Moto Turbo is having on Lollipop. If it updated over the air, bring the phone to your carrier (make sure everything is backed up) and ask them to please fix or replace it. They broke it, so they're responsible for it. (It would appear that Lollipop was released before it was fully tested in a few cases.)

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Lollipop 5.0 and 5.0.1 on the Nexus 4 have a few bugs, although the ones you are describing are not among them... I would suggest first trying to boot into the bootloader, start recovery, and then after the timeout go into the menu (press VOL UP+POWER after the timeout), and clear your cache and reboot... this will cause the phone to rebuild the cache partition, this will take some time but you will not lose any data.

If this fails, you probably need to unlock your bootloader and load the factory images, this will wipe your phone and all you data. Information on how to do this is readily available on most forums sites and Google.

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
If this fails, you probably need to unlock your bootloader and load the factory images, this will wipe your phone and all you data. Information on how to do this is readily available on most forums sites and Google.
I would recommend doing this -- my wife's N4 was doing something similar while mine's (factory 5.0 install on both N4 and N7/'13) been rock solid. It looks like Lollipop has some serious back-end changes that, quite frankly, deserve a fresh install.

Let's face it, the N4's gone from 4.2 to 4.2.2, to 4.3, to almost all iterations of 4.4, and now 5.0? Sometimes that's too many changes, even for a package-based OS.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Why would this be preferable to doing a factory reset and just wiping the phone? If the factory images just reinstall the OS, I am not sure what would be different. Just curious...

I did get the 5.0.1 update this morning. Will see if this continues.

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Why would this be preferable to doing a factory reset and just wiping the phone? If the factory images just reinstall the OS, I am not sure what would be different. Just curious...
The factory wipe deletes the cache and the userspace and your settings, but old packages and such would stay. Imagine deleting all your programs and your /Users/[username] stuff from your PC/Mac, but leaving the OS alone.

The factory images pretty much overwrite, at the block-level, the entire system space. It's like the phone came with Lollipop and nothing else, ever -- or, to continue the PC analogy, like formatting the HD and reinstalling the OS from a DVD.

Last edited:

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
No luck, phone has crashed a few times, including earlier this evening. It made a buzzing, crackling noise, then restarted, and when it did I had a bunch of texts that had been sent over the past 3 days that I never received.

VRANDA MALEY

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Don't ever update N4 with new 5.1.1, it really sucked my battery and continuously drained by rebooting. Finally I downgraded to 5.0.1 but still the same. I read every one but no one successful with N4. I shall be trying today with 4.4.4 too. However I am roaming with battery pack 8400 mAH connected to it continuously lest it fails.

Last edited: