MetroPCS v. T-Mobile

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I am switching from Verizon with a Nexus 5 and curious as to what is the difference between these two services? They both use the T-Mobile network and use LTE, correct?

T-mobile Prepaid is $70 a month for Unlimited 4G, and MetroPCS is $60 a month for unlimited LTE, with taxes included (although TMO prepaid may also have taxes included in some states).

The only potential defference I can see is MetroPCS doesn't allow tethering but T-Mobile prepaid now does allow tethering, correct?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I am with MetroPCS and I have tethered my N7 via my phone using "Portable Wi-Fi" App. I don't do it much since most of the time I am in Wi-Fi range. I got my current phone from Metro ( N5 due in this week) and they having NOT turned off the Tethering option feature in the setting on my phone that would prevent me from doing Tethering.

You pay $10 less a month for MetroPCS than T-Mobile. Metro was CDMA and T-Mobile is GSM but Metro was the first in nation to go VoLTE that will speed up their move to TM's networks. My Nexus 5 should get here this week but I think it will be put on T Mobiles network since that is their plan to move everyone from Metro to TM. MPCS is counting on people buying new phones to help move them to TM networks so the can shut down the CDMA and covert everyone to TM's networks. Then add MPCS old network spectrum to TM. By the 2nd half of 2014 they plan to have one common 4GLTE network.

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've never had experience with metro pcs but know plenty of file that have had it. The bottom line has always been pretty similar overall. Sketchy service (depends on your location) and expensive phones. I personally had Verizon for about 10 years and recently changed to T-Mobile for affordability. I have absolutely no complaints except I should have done it sooner. I personally recommend T-Mobiles service, pricing and hardware. I believe it's a step up from metro.

Posted via Android Central App

Videoman87

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I am also switching from verizon to metropcs. 40/month unlimited with data throttled to 3G speeds after .5 GB. They're also offering $50 mail in rebate if you port your number to them, and another $50 if you bring your own phone. Best value I could find. I'm in NYC where metropcs LTE is solid.

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
If you like to swap phones a lot get t-mobile. On Metro the your phone's imei (yes GSM) needs registered on their system for you to be able to swap sim card and use it. And it cost $15 each time.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
OP: I am thinking of doing the exact same thing and would be curious to hear about your experience. I'm also wondering whether you can tether an N5 to other devices without an issue.

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I am also switching from verizon to metropcs. 40/month unlimited with data throttled to 3G speeds after .5 GB. They're also offering $50 mail in rebate if you port your number to them, and another $50 if you bring your own phone. Best value I could find. I'm in NYC where metropcs LTE is solid.

Sadly that info is incorrect. The throttle speed is actually 2g, around 70 kbps. Good for basic web browsing and email only.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I ended up going with T-Mobile Prepaid because I used T-Mobile for 5 years before VZW and I enjoyed their good customer service and coverage for the most part (except inside big box stores). I will pay $10 more per month than MetroPCS but at least it's truly unlimited and not throttled after a certain amount like MetroPCS still does.

Got the phone today. Loving the white! Now I am trying to activate.

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I ended up going with T-Mobile Prepaid because I used T-Mobile for 5 years before VZW and I enjoyed their good customer service and coverage for the most part (except inside big box stores). I will pay $10 more per month than MetroPCS but at least it's truly unlimited and not throttled after a certain amount like MetroPCS still does.

Got the phone today. Loving the white! Now I am trying to activate.

So $60 MetroPCS does get throttled?

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So $60 MetroPCS does get throttled?

So does the 70 dollar plan on TMobile. They don't have a monthly limit, but if you try to download a large app or file, it will slow to dialup after 50-80mbs, regardless of where your overall monthly usage is at.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

JustoneDef

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I think I agree with majortiy of the people on here. I have had metro for 15 years, yes 15. But I'm noticing there so called "4g" Is not "4g" or if it is it runs slow. i have been next to people and there where on T-mobile and we both were check the speeds and the T-mobile was a lot faster , oh and it was the same spec for the phone. Im switching over to T-mobile after 15 years of Metro Pcs.

Does anyone know who really regulates/monitors these cell phone company's to make sure there giving the people what they say there giving them. does someone check the speeds in different areas to make sure the company is living up to what the are selling the public ?????

JustoneDef

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I think I agree with majority of the people on here. I have had metro for 15 years, yes 15. But I'm noticing there so called "4g" Is not "4g" or if it is it runs slow. i have been next to people and there where on T-mobile and we both were check the speeds and the T-mobile was a lot faster , oh and it was the same spec for the phone. Im switching over to T-mobile after 15 years of Metro Pcs.

Does anyone know who really regulates/monitors these cell phone company's to make sure there giving the people what they say there giving them. does someone check the speeds in different areas to make sure the company is living up to what the are selling the public ?????

marherman

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Aren't T-mobile and Metro Pcs hspa+ and LTE networks completely the same now since metro moved to GSM? The old Metro pcs CDMA network I understand is much slower and has less coverage and will be deactivated at one point. I'm thinking about moving to Metro from Tmobile since they offer similar plans for $10 less.

grenefroggie

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Give T-Mo time to absorb M-PCS. CDMA and GSM networks do not physically operate the same, requiring different hardware.

Also understand that "4G" is more of a marketing term in the US than anything else. LTE is defined under the GSM 3G standard. Most companies in the US do NOT have a commercially available 4G network for consumers. I think Verizon has one for testing in Chi, but to my knowledge it is not live. I am also thinking to be 4G, it has to have functioning VoLTE.

T-Mo will eventually shutter the CDMA network, and use that spectrum for LTE. These things take time as towers are aggregated and overhauled. It is coming, it just isn't here yet. They also have to do some serious upgrades in the areas where they still serve 2G or EDGE service. In KY, the town I live in still operates primarily on 2G.

Charlie Bundy

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
No it does not. But they won't allow you to buy the tethering add-on if you have the unlimited 4g plan. I've managed a half *** workaround with the tethering built into vanir aosp and super tether, but it's pretty sketchy. Basically proxy tunnelling if you look at the way super tether works.

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I've had T-Mobile and I'm now on metropcs and it is now the basically exact same network, coverage and service, for about $15 less when you count taxes.

The only exceptions are.
No roaming data on metro, just talk/text but since T-Mobile limits you to 50 mb of roaming data this is no huge loss.
Official teathering is a $5 addition to the 40 and 50 plans and not officially available on the $60 plan.
The nexus 5 stock software now enforces T-Mobile tethering limits so you need a custom ROM or third party software to get around it.
You do have to register your IMEI with metro, I think this is a throwback to their systems being designed for CDMA , I swapped phones once and called and they switched me without charging any fees. So it seems a minimal hassle to save some coin, though it does seem unnecessary.

Personally if your not a big traveler and want that free international data roaming and/or your not a big tetherer and you live in a metropcs area your just spending extra money for the same service. I've been on unlimited T-Mobile and metro they are otherwise the same.

In my case I just deal without tethering since if I tether it's almost always for work so I just use my work at&t phone for that.
But that's not a solution for everyone obviously lol.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had T-Mobile and I'm now on metropcs and it is now the basically exact same network, coverage and service, for about $15 less when you count taxes.

The only exceptions are.
No roaming data on metro, just talk/text but since T-Mobile limits you to 50 mb of roaming data this is no huge loss.

I have my N5 on Metro that is a GPS device using the T-Mobile towers. Also, It is First 500MB at up to 4G LTE speeds on their $40 fee not 50mb. Note you also can take off $5 off every month for every extra phone you add. With two phones I only pay $35 with no extra taxes or chagres. A friend has 4 phones for a total of $100 a month for unlimited everything with only the 500mb speed bump on data that drops to a slower speed. By the end of 2014 they expect most of Metro PCS CDMA towers to be converted to T Mobile GSM network and it is going to be much faster when they roll in the new 700MHz bans that they got from Verizon that will penetrate building better and have longer distances from the tower with more signal.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
If you don't need truly unlimited data, Straight Talk is $45 a month for unlimited calls, texts, and 2.5gb 4G data. Good deal. Plus, they have a T-Mobile sim card if that's the provider you want. They also have an ATT sim card.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently on T-Mobile's $30 plan and wanted to try Metro PCS. After installing the SIM and activating, my phone would merely run on 3G. Perhaps where I am at or not, but it's a deal breaker for me, since T-Mobile's signal is 4G where I am at. Inasmuch as I use my wifi while at home, it is still an important factor in deciding between the two.